PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 jointed cues ????????

cushioncrawler
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
In snooker every girl'n'boy uze a 3/4 jointed cue -- yet in pool everyone uzes a simple 2-piece cue, with the occasional mention of a favorite 1-piece cue.

Cue-makers (USA) and players (USA) talk a lot about different q-tips and q-joints and q-woods and q-wraps etc etc -- but there iz zero talk or manufacture etc of 3/4 jointed cues.

Why the completely different attitude on the 2 continents????

Rich R.
08-02-2006, 02:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> In snooker every girl'n'boy uze a 3/4 jointed cue -- yet in pool everyone uzes a simple 2-piece cue, with the occasional mention of a favorite 1-piece cue.

Cue-makers (USA) and players (USA) talk a lot about different q-tips and q-joints and q-woods and q-wraps etc etc -- but there iz zero talk or manufacture etc of 3/4 jointed cues.

Why the completely different attitude on the 2 continents???? <hr /></blockquote>
Snooker is not very popular in my area and I have never used a 3/4 jointed cue, but I have seen a few. I also have no idea what perceived benefit there is in either a 3/4 jointed cue or a simple two piece cue. However, IMHO, for convenience alone, I would prefer the normal two piece cue. The 3/4 jointed cues require a much longer case which, with a small car, could be a problem for me.

I would like to know what benefit there is, if any, from the 3/4 jointed cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bumps
08-02-2006, 06:01 AM
I know I'll probably regret this, but WHAT is a 3/4 jointed cue????? I've never even HEARD of one.

Rich R.
08-02-2006, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I know I'll probably regret this, but WHAT is a 3/4 jointed cue????? I've never even HEARD of one. <hr /></blockquote>The joint in a two piece snooker cue is not in the middle, as it is in a pool cue. It is 3/4 of the way toward the butt end. Therefore, you end up with a very long shaft end and a very short butt end.

You have just received the total sum of my knowledge on this subject. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1hit1der
08-02-2006, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> The joint in a two piece snooker cue is not in the middle, as it is in a pool cue. It is 3/4 of the way toward the butt end. Therefore, you end up with a very long shaft end and a very short butt end.

You have just received the total sum of my knowledge on this subject. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

So kind of like a jump cue except everything is proportionately longer?

ras314
08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Rich, I've never seen one. Snooker was fairly popular in the south, usually there were several old retired farts that spent all day on the snooker tables. House cues was all I saw. They were one peice long narrow shafted things, and in the better halls, all straight. I even knew one bar in a little town that had a snooker table, free time no less. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One guess why the 3/4 shaft would be the hit is more like a one peice cue? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cushioncrawler
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I did a search to find the benefits of a 3/4 (butt) jointed cue -- but no luck -- so i did a posting on the NSW &amp; Vic Snooker Forum asking playerz what they thort re Center Jointed, Butt Jointed, and One Piece cues. I think that the answers will be that a Center-Jointed cue iz too front heavy which....(A) feelz funny.... (B) screw iz diminished.... (C) squirt iz enlarged.

Me myself, i like the noze-heavy feel of a Center Joint -- in fact, in my 5 cues, i drilled out the butts to looz wt -- and then i drilled some holes throo the butts nearer the joint and filled with solder or lead, to regain the lost wt and make the cues even more noze heavy.

If Quiten Hann winz the next IPT event the 3/4'z will sky-rocket, like metal driverz did in golf. No, wait, he iz now uzing a Center Joint pool cue, like everyone else -- anyhow, its just a matter of time.

ceebee
08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a beautiful 3/4 Joint Snooker Cue &amp; Case that I use to play GOLF on a Snooker Table or just Snooker. It has a great hit &amp; can be modified (with a butt attachment) to 82 inches long. It still has a good hit, at 82 inches, but it does have more mass &amp; weight, so there is an adjustment.

I have more than several high-dollar "2 piece Cues", which have a great hit. One of my cues has an 11mm Ash Shaft for playing Snooker.

I can't tell you why the Snooker Players started the tradition of 3/4 Cues, maybe just to shorten a cue for carrying in an automobile. Who cares?

Alan Morris
08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
The 3/4 joint snooker cue was initially introduced so that an extension to the cue could be screwed onto the cue once the butt end had been unscrewed.

This was to avoid using those unpredictable long cues provided with a snooker table when using the 3/4 length rest (or 'bridge' in the US).

However, these days most snooker players, including myself, despite having a 3/4 joint snooker cue, just now usually screw in an extension that fits into the bottom of the cue.

Regards.

Alan Morris.
Executive Director,
United States Snooker Association.

cushioncrawler
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I just noticed that i called Quinten Quiten -- this iz funny but non-intentional -- but i predict that, having time to think about it, Quinten will have a 3/4 pool cue specially made for him -- koz he iz a smartypants -- and he will kick butt -- then all hell will break loose in the Cue-Craft-Maker world.

Which remindz me -- talk about commitment -- Quinten woz dating my golf buddy'z daughter -- she woz one of thoze gymnasts that threw ballz or ribbonz around the ring whilst doing the splits while standing on one toe -- and she made Miss Universe look plain -- but he left her to follow snooker -- fool.

Which allso remindz me -- Quiten played in the first English Billiardz tournament that i ever won -- and i woz watching him praktis, very closely -- and i could see why he woz world class -- hiz cue n noze n eyez n shoulder n elbow were in a perfect vertical plane -- but i didnt know that he woz left-handed (he iznt, he woz playing left-handed for fun).