PDA

View Full Version : What's a Sport These Days?

SPetty
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.kget.com/sports/commentary/story.aspx?content_id=635F51F6-97D3-4442-A0FD-646C66F2FFCE

[ QUOTE ]
What's a Sport These Days?

Scott Springer
This to bad sports programming on cable TV.

I guess there's a market for it somewhere, but I don't get that when there's hundreds of games to be shown, be it football, basketball or baseball, I'm stuck watching people play cards.

Now, I know poker's big, but how many of you have actually gone somewhere to watch other people play cards? And do you really care when one of the liars, thieves and cheats in sunglasses hits big money?

I don't!

And it's not just cards on TV now, it's billiards, it's darts. Let's see, cards, pool and darts--why not just have a "live" show at the local "Loserville" saloon?

What about "Timbersports"? Do you think a guy's an athlete if he can operate a chain or circular saw? What...does that get you into the "Leatherface" hall of fame?

And, I just saw a televised team paintball match too! I didn't realize there was an organized league, did you?

Gosh, who's got time for the pennant race or the start of the pigskin season when there's tournament paintball to watch!? This is nothing more than grown men playing "Cowboys and Indians" or "Army" with red paint.

I say if these guys are so skilled with a gun, let's get them on over in the desert for our country with some real ammunition. If I've got to watch fake sports on TV, I'd just as soon watch more pro wrestling!<hr /></blockquote>

See y'all down at the saloon, losers!

wolfdancer
08-02-2006, 02:24 PM
That's a good article....at the monday nite tournament, the TV had paintball on there for a few weeks, crapola......and cards is a sport?
It is more fun though playing pool, then watching, but I do enjoy watching a good match. Tonite is another loser's tournament....they don't accept Paypal for donations, so I actually have to drive up there and play, to help the "sport" out.

Snapshot9
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
A Sport is something that has physical activity (and I am not talking about sitting at a table playing cards or dominoes), and that a living can made from. Plus, it has graduated levels beneath the professional level.

nAz
08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I thought a sport was a girl who put out...
ahh living the sporting life. 9BGv /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jjinfla
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
No nAz a sport is someone who buys the beer. As "hey sport buy me a beer."

What you are thinking of is a "good sport".

Suttle difference.

Jake

nAz
08-04-2006, 05:56 PM
ahh yes the roaring twenties /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cornerman
08-05-2006, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> A Sport is something that has physical activity (and I am not talking about sitting at a table playing cards or dominoes), and that a living can made from. Plus, it has graduated levels beneath the professional level. <hr /></blockquote>On the internet, the definitions agree with you. I.e., a sport has physical activity.

However, before the internet and it's worldly definition sites came about, the normal first level definition (definition #1)of "sport" in it's most simplistic did not include physical activity, but rather "enjoyment and recreation" and often "competition." That's according to some 20 and 30 year old Webster's Unabridged, and a Funk and Wagnall's.

FWIW

Fred

Fran Crimi
08-05-2006, 07:20 AM
I noticed that there's no way to contact the author. He's one of those hit and run types of people. Somebody find his email address and I'll send him a few choice words.

I dare him to take a pool lesson with me, and we'll see if he thinks pool isn't a sport.

Fran

tdurden87
08-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I think there is a difference between the technical definition of sport and what most people consider a sport. I used to have this discussion many time with girls who thought horseback riding and cheerleading is a sport. I agree that it is by definition, but its certainly not the same as football or baseball. The same goes for chess, darts, poker, pool, NASCAR, and bowling.

Fran Crimi
08-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Bowling and pool are sports. I don't know enough about NASCAR to know what the physical exertion at the end of the day is for the driver. Chess, darts and poker are not sports.

Pool can be played as a non-sport, such as with someone who knows nothing about the game, who picks up a cue for a short period of time and tries to whack around a few balls. It's those non-pool-playing people who work in bookstores who place pool books in the games section.

Fran

ryushen21
08-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I think that more and more the definitions that people come up with for sport are getting looser and looser. And i think that in part ESPN is somewhat to blame. They have been putting more and more non-sports on their network. And i think that a large part of that is because there really is no better place to put them. I mean, where would you televise something like the WSOP or the World Series of Dominoes?

Now as for what is considered a sport....i think that poker and dominoes are definitely not sports. No doubt the players are dedicated and have skill, but I can't see them being called sports. You sit at a table and let things unfold and many times outside of your control.

However, i think that billiards, darts, and bowling without question are sports. All of those require tremendous physical training and ability. Are they more sedentary than other sports...absolutely. But in those, your physical ability more than anything else determines whether or not you win. And i think that is what defines a sport.

JM2C

tdurden87
08-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Good point.

DickLeonard
08-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Fran I'll have to disagree that Darts is not a sport. In the early 60s I watched a dart match between "the Lord of the Board" and Danny Tironi of Watervliet,NY they were playing for 300 a game. They were playing with the Toohey board and the feather darts.
The Lord chose Baseball when he named the game and Tironi named Corks. When the shooter toed the line everyone in the bar started screaming, under this total distraction the Lord managed to turkey the first 6 games of baseball while Tironi only managed 51 or 52.

In corks Tironi shot 25 for nine innings while the Lord could only manage 22 or 23. Finally Tironi started turkeying baseball and wore down the Lord.

I know that there isn't another game where the fans could distract the contestants and have them perform to the level that these Dart Shooters did.

Whenever I see the Quiet sign held up in Golf I laugh, these
Golfers couldn't hold a dart with Lord.####

Fran Crimi
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Yup, I'll have to agree with you, Dick. Darts can be a sport. Not the way I play it, though.

Fran

sofy60
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
dont get the word sports confused with athletes.. Two completely separate animals.

Nascar claims its a sport. I dont feel sporting on long road trips. Ok so its scary and fast.. is rollercoastering a sport ? its scary and fast.

I draw the line for a sport at what the conditioning requirement is..
If it requires mental conditioning then its a game..Can be played by anyone. old young, its not a sport.

if it requires physical conditioning. its a sport. Running , jumping , lifting, the chainsaw is a sport .. takes much power and strength to do that. much physical conditioning.

games are
golf
pool
nascar
dominos
chess

sports are
baseball
football
skiing
skating

08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
NOBODY is worse at darts than I am, Fran; it's a very good day when I even hit the wall that hosts the dartboard. I'd be willing to call it a sport, though, and would also fiercely defend pool as such - except that the matter's been legally adjudicated. As I wrote a few years back, if pool were legally defined as a sport, then the late Steve Mizerak would never have been allowed to make his seven Miller Lite commercials. FTC regulations expressly forbid any active athlete from endorsing any form of alcoholic product; for those commercials to be made, attorneys specializing in advertising law first had to decree that pool was no sport and The Miz was no athlete. Might not be the way we see it here, but then, who wants to agree with lawyers? GF