PDA

View Full Version : Billiards star Jennifer Chen missing

SPetty
08-07-2006, 06:32 AM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2006/08/06/2003322019

Billiards star Jennifer Chen missing

ON THE RUN?: The former female World number one is rumored to be hiding out in Hong Kong after running up enormous debts gambling on baseball and soccer games
By Rich Chang
STAFF REPORTER
Sunday, Aug 06, 2006,Page 2

Billiards player Jennifer Chen (陳純甄) has reportedly gone missing after allegedly running up huge gambling debts.

"We have been unable to contact her. Chen has missed three preliminaries for the 2006 Asian Games. She is now unable to represent the nation at the Asia Games," the head of the Taiwan Billiards Association Tu Yung-hui (涂永輝) told the press yesterday.

The 30-year-old billiards star, nicknamed "Beautiful Baby", reportedly lost nearly NT$20 million (US$608,800) gambling on professional baseball games in Taiwan and US Major League Baseball, and around NT$10 million on this summer's soccer World Cup.

Local media such as SETV and ETTV reported that Chen had fled Taiwan and was in hiding in Hong Kong trying to evade bookmakers who are trying to recoup their money.

Although gambling on sports is illegal in Taiwan, it is rampant and often run by gangsters.

"I am worried about my daughter's safety. I do not know where she is and can't contact her," Chen's mother said on a news clip broadcast by FTV yesterday.

She said she was worried that her daughter might have been kidnapped by gangsters.

"She never told me anything about gambling," she said.

Billiards coach Chang Ming-hsiung (張明雄), who has known Chen for ten years, yesterday told the press he does not believe Chen gambled and owed such vast sums.

"Chen is a good girl, and the gambling allegations are rumors," Chang said.

Chen came to prominence in the 1990s, claiming the Women's Professional Billiards Association's world number one ranking in March 1999.

Chen won a bronze medal for billiards at the 2001 World Games and a silver medal in last year's World Games.

Apart from her sporting achievements, Chen has also appeared on a number of TV entertainment shows.

Deeman3
08-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Wow, I had never heard of her having a baseball Jones...I hope she turns up o.k. and that this is not true. I believe those Asian mobsters are pretty tough and won't give up searching for her if this is true.

SPetty, I have a box taped up for you and it should be on it's way this week. No, it's not payoff for gambling debts at PettytPoint....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
08-07-2006, 07:24 AM
I wish her the best of luck, as her future doesn't look to bright right now.

DG

SPetty
08-07-2006, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I have a box taped up for you and it should be on it's way this week.<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Wasn't she just in Peoria?

nAz
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
lol that suxs she probably bet on the Yankees before the all star break...

hey she can hide under my bed if she needs, Wendy you gonna have to move over and make some room.

cueball1950
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Thats ok wendy....you can come hide under my king size bed anyday and not have to share it..lolol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif...mike

9 Ball Girl
08-08-2006, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> hey she can hide under my bed if she needs, Wendy you gonna have to move over and make some room. <hr /></blockquote>you own a bed???

9 Ball Girl
08-08-2006, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Thats ok wendy....you can come hide under my king size bed anyday and not have to share it..lolol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif...mike
<hr /></blockquote>I love you Mikey! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DickLeonard
08-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Naz I hope Jennifer doesn't come between my favorite couple.####

sofy60
08-08-2006, 11:31 AM
shes hiding at my house. lol

nAz
08-08-2006, 12:46 PM
it's always been big enough for you.

nAz
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Naz I hope Jennifer doesn't come between my favorite couple.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Not to worry #### I too can be friends with Jennifer as with wendy.

friends with benefits /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> it's always been big enough for you. <hr /></blockquote>Must you hijack all threads? Damn BCL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
this thread needed hijacking /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cueless Joey
08-09-2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.21stars.net/stars/chinese/photo1/jennifer_chen/page07/images/01.jpg
i hope she's ok.

kevinkins
08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
looks like she can get out of debt really fast.

bsmutz
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I'd pitch in for such a worthy cause...

SPetty
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2006/08/13/2003322977

Official released but billiards star remains missing

By Rich Chang
STAFF REPORTER
Sunday, Aug 13, 2006,Page 2

Advertising An independent councilor of Jhonghe City was released yesterday after paying NT$2 million (US$61,270) in bail for his alleged involvement in a gambling ring and the case of missing billiards star Jennifer Chen (&amp;#38515;&amp;#32020;&amp;#29956;).
Chen has gone missing since early this month after allegedly running up huge gambling debts.

Investigators on Friday night arrested Jhonghe City Councilor Yu Hsiang-hsien (&amp;#28216;&amp;#35937;&amp;#36066;), 41, on suspicion of running an online gambling network and for questioning over Chen's disappearance.

"Prosecutors had applied with the Banciao District Court to detain Yu in the hope of breaking his gambling network, but the court decided to release him on NT$2 million bail," Tseng Chiun-che (&amp;#26366;&amp;#20426;&amp;#21746;), spokesman for the Banciao District Prosecutors' Office, told the press yesterday.

Prosecutors on Friday raided Yu's residence, office, a hostess pub in Taipei County allegedly run by Yu, an underground company that offers online betting on sports games and Chen's Taipei residence.

Tseng said that as prosecutors were probing a bribery case relating to election of the speaker for Jhonghe City Council, they found a number of phone conversations between Yu and Chen about sports betting and Chen's debts.

Prosecutors said that Yu first enticed Chen to gamble on local professional baseball games by saying he knew which and how games were fixed. Chen then started betting on baseball games through online gambling sites run by Yu and other gangsters.

According to local media reports, Chen's addiction to betting on sports such as local baseball games and US Major League baseball games led to gambling debts of more than NT$10 million, which she has been unable to pay.

Prosecutors said that in June, Yu further enticed Chen to bet on World Cup games to win back some money to pay her debts, and even agreed to let Chen pay by check instead of cash.

However, Chen reportedly lost more than NT$10 million in the World Cup games.

The officials added that on July 24, Yu ordered his gangsters to negotiate with Chen and demand that she give up her Taipei residence to cover her gambling debts. Chen soon went missing after the meeting.

Chen is rumored to be hiding out in Hong Kong, trying to evade bookmakers.

The 30-year-old billiards star, nicknamed "Beautiful Baby," came to prominence in the 1990s, claiming the Women's Professional Billiards Association's world number one ranking in March 1999.

Chen won a bronze medal for billiards at the 2001 World Games and a silver medal in last year's World Games.

9 Ball Girl
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Geez, this is beginning to sound like a friggin' movie.

Hope she comes out of it ok.

heater451
08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Geez, this is beginning to sound like a friggin' movie.

Hope she comes out of it ok. <hr /></blockquote>That's it!
Jennifer can star in a movie, about a player who gets in deep debt, and has to win a big tournament, while ducking the HK mob, in order to pay it off.

The neat trick is, she could use a percentage of the box office to actually pay off her debt!

If only it were that easy. . . .

====================

Deeman3
08-15-2006, 05:43 AM
She was wrong to make bets she could not cover but gambling is a disease and I hope she comes out of this o.k. She is a remarkable talent and should get a second chance. Unfortunately, these thugs often don't care about anything but getting people addicted to the bets, then hounding them or worse...

DeeMan

Eric.
08-15-2006, 12:10 PM
You're a sick individual, Heater /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

heater451
08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> You're a sick individual, Heater /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric <hr /></blockquote>I prefer "eccentric".

======================

catscradle
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> She was wrong to make bets she could not cover but gambling is a disease and I hope she comes out of this o.k. She is a remarkable talent and should get a second chance. Unfortunately, these thugs often don't care about anything but getting people addicted to the bets, then hounding them or worse...

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

Jackie Chan can be her co-star. Some amazing fight scenes defending her from the HK mafia, who's guns he somehow defeats with a nearby floorlamp.