PDA

View Full Version : Indoor / Outdoor table on Screened Porch

bullyx2
08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Hello all. I am new here. I have done some searching and saw some great info, but wanted to post. My wife and I are having out back porch screened in. One of the main reason's for this is to have room for a pool table. The porch will have a solid roof. The bottom 16" or so of the sides will be aluminum, and the rest screen. It should be big enough where the table never gets wet with rain, but we are in Florida so the humidity is a concern. I went to a local shop and they seemed very knowledgeable. They recommended one of their cheaper indoor tables (Brunswick I think, forgot the model). He did recommend upgrading the cloth to a Simonis cloth that he claimed performed a bit better and would be better in the humidity. As I said, it should never get wet directly, and will be covered when not in use.

I am wondering what you all think of his idea. I was not crazy about some of the true outdoor tables I have looked at. I am still new to billiards, but they seemed very cheap (although the prices certainly were not). Like I said, I am new to billiards, but still want something that I'll be happy playing now, as well as when my skills get better. I'd appreciate any recommendations at all.

Thanks in advance!!!

cycopath
08-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama so I understand heat and humidity. I have a barbox in my 20X40 metal shop. In one window I have a small 8000btu A/C which isn't even close to large enough to cool that size area. On cool days you can open the garage door and the windows and circulate the air with a box fan, it's almost bearable. Humidity stays so high though the cue gets so sticky I am forced to use a glove to shoot. At night you can close the building off and run the window unit. Like I said before, the thing's way too small to cool off the entire building so it stays pretty muggy and warm in there. Needless to say practice sessions aren't real enthusiastic.

Having said all that my recommendation is as follows...

A. If you are a "player" and want a table to do drills and good practice sessions, I would say don't do it. You'll never be happy with any table in those conditions.

B. If you are just wanting something for your family and friends to bang balls on while having a few drinks, I would say find a cheap barbox. When your wife gets sick of walking around the thing, sell it for what you've got in it.

HTH

hhsaloon
08-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Bully,

I second cycopath's statement with respect to the humidity making playing conditions "sticky". I live in Chesapeake, VA near the coast. Not as far south as y'all but the humidity is still fierce.

My bar box sized home table, is in 1/2 of my living room (obviously I am not married). But it is in the front half near the 4 front windows (large) that line the house. I'll run the A/C when the heat is intolerable, but during the transition period (cool at night but hot during the day) and I do not run the A/C the cue is sticky and I need to use a glove to practice. It's not very productive. Plus the banks you were used to in cooler conditions no longer apply. However, like Cycopath said, if you're just looking to socialize a bit with friends in the evening, have at it. Good luck!

bullyx2
08-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the great advice. Like you mentioned, really just looking for something to play with while having drinks when friends are over. I hadn't thought about the humididy while playing. Plan on putting a couple fairly strong ceiling fans out there which will help with the temp when playing but won't do anything about the humidity.