PDA

View Full Version : Are you poor, hungry?...

nAz
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Not to worry...

http://mibstories.com/edibleweeds.html

Rich R.
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I thiink I have quite a few of those in my yard, if anyone feels like a snack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wolfdancer
08-08-2006, 04:15 PM
well, there goes food stamps when the right picks up on this
and yes, it's the most abused program that we have, or had?

Drop1
08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Those weeds are not bad with prime rib,mashed potatoes,and blu cheese dressing,and a nice a dessert. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nAz
08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I gonna try the sunflower tea... i have some growing in the back yard and since I'm almost poor...

llotter
08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Food Stamps... another pathetic program... don't get me started

DickLeonard
08-10-2006, 07:26 PM
LLotter what about the 400 billion wasted on the defense dept. Don't get me started.####

Qtec
08-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Would you go to a store and buy food with food stamps if you didn't have to?

Q

Rich R.
08-11-2006, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote llotter:</font><hr> Food Stamps... another pathetic program... don't get me started <hr /></blockquote>It is not the program that is bad. As with most social programs, it is the people who abuse it that are bad. If people wouldn't abuse the program, there would be more funds available for those who really need it.

Fran Crimi
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote llotter:</font><hr> Food Stamps... another pathetic program... don't get me started <hr /></blockquote>It is not the program that is bad. As with most social programs, it is the people who abuse it that are bad. If people wouldn't abuse the program, there would be more funds available for those who really need it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Very altruistic, Rich, but by now, I think we've found out that as a society, we can't trust people to do the right thing, especially when it comes to things like free food or free money. If the program doesn't have good controls in place that prevent theft and fraud, then the program is bad.

Fran

DickLeonard
08-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Fran when the Rich and powerful steal it is alright. When the poor sell their food stamps how dare they. Ken Lay plotted in the White House to save Enron by shipping the gas to Montana then to California to add more cost to the gas. Dick Cheney claims executive privilege so the minutes of the meeting sealed.

Can anyone imagine the Gall of the White House to have the biggest crook in America as a special guest. Good old Kenny Boy. I think the fall of Enron cost far more than the food stamp program.

I know at the end of the Day George Boy, says to himself God Dam everytime I say some one is innocent they get convicted. I hope the shareholders of Enron want to be paid for all those free trips George Boy got from Kenny Boy. They know how costly free trips are.####

Drop1
08-11-2006, 08:08 PM
People without food will act like people without food....don't get me started /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
08-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Yikes.

DickLeonard
08-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Fran The employees of Enron who had a smell of the fouled air wanted to dump their Enron Stock but they figured if Kenny Boy is Flying all over the Country with George Bush their company is going great.

That is why those free flights cost so much it tainted the companies employees glasses Rose.####

Fran Crimi
08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Dick, I know where you're taking this. You're trying to say that there are other more significant problems in this country than the food stamp problem. Well, if every time someone brings up an issue that needs solving, and instead of discussing how to solve it, someone comes back with a reply listing other problems that need solving, then nothing will ever get accomplished because that's what you call 'spinning your wheels.'

It's something I learned well in pool. You can't fix everything that's wrong with your pool game at the same time. You won't get anything accomplished if you try. You have to fix one thing at a time, and sometimes it's the more insignificant thing that gets fixed first. But at least it's progress and you're moving in a positive direction rather than standing still, feeling overwhelmed and spinning your wheels.

Fran

DickLeonard
08-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Fran I never knew there was a problem with food stamps except that the poor are on the bottom of the list. Most supermarkets only take food stamps at certain registers thereby making the needy stand out. Just what they need is a handout and standout.

Jesus said whatever you do for the least of my brethen you do for me but that is the Jesus of the Catholic Religion. Who knows what Jesus the religious right are following.####

Drop1
08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I think they are using "do me"

Fran Crimi
08-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Yes, there are major problems with the program, particularly fraud. When there's fraud like that, it's costing all of us. There need to be better controls built into the program. Internal control is my area of expertise. I'm very familliar with breakdowns in internal control.

Fran

nAz
08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I use to buy 10 dollar food stamps for 5 "real" dollars... what a deal! damn Clinton almost made me starve!

SPetty
08-14-2006, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I use to buy 10 dollar food stamps for 5 "real" dollars... what a deal! <hr /></blockquote>Why did you do that? Where/from who(m?) did you buy them? What did you do with them?

nAz
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I use to buy 10 dollar food stamps for 5 "real" dollars... what a deal! <hr /></blockquote>Why did you do that? Where/from who(m?) did you buy them? What did you do with them? <hr /></blockquote>

Susan that was along time ago... it's much harder to find people selling them now... i think they use some sort of card now(?) and it's not something i care to do anymore since im not exactly starving... how ever if i was...

I use to buy them from the crack heads or simply from the people abusing the food stamp system. they would sell them for real cash and buy other things, non food items... clothes, cigs, beer that sort of stuff.
the local bodegas would take them from me even, if I did not have the entire food stamp booklet.(?) what did they care since i was buying food items in their store with it anyway.

Wendy's mom use to sell them to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol j/k

Stretch
08-14-2006, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I use to buy 10 dollar food stamps for 5 "real" dollars... what a deal! <hr /></blockquote>Why did you do that? Where/from who(m?) did you buy them? What did you do with them? <hr /></blockquote>

Susan that was along time ago... it's much harder to find people selling them now... i think they use some sort of card now(?) and it's not something i care to do anymore since im not exactly starving... how ever if i was...

I use to buy them from the crack heads or simply from the people abusing the food stamp system. they would sell them for real cash and buy other things, non food items... clothes, cigs, beer that sort of stuff.
the local bodegas would take them from me even, if I did not have the entire food stamp booklet.(?) what did they care since i was buying food items in their store with it anyway.

Wendy's mom use to sell them to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol j/k <hr /></blockquote>

LMFAO, Naz u crack me up. St.

nAz
08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>

LMFAO, Naz u crack me up. St. <hr /></blockquote>

hehehee

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2006, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>Wendy's mom use to sell them to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol j/k <hr /></blockquote>That's right! We used to sell them back to you after your Mom would give 'em up to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>Wendy's mom use to sell them to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol j/k <hr /></blockquote>That's right! We used to sell them back to you after your Mom would give 'em up to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

WTH does that mean?
anywho your mother wears combat boots.

9 Ball Girl
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>Wendy's mom use to sell them to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol j/k <hr /></blockquote>That's right! We used to sell them back to you after your Mom would give 'em up to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

WTH does that mean?
anywho your mother wears combat boots. <hr /></blockquote>Your sister's got a mustache.

nAz
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Yo mama's so clumsy she got tangled up in a cordless phone.

catscradle
08-18-2006, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Dick, I know where you're taking this. You're trying to say that there are other more significant problems in this country than the food stamp problem. Well, if every time someone brings up an issue that needs solving, and instead of discussing how to solve it, someone comes back with a reply listing other problems that need solving, then nothing will ever get accomplished because that's what you call 'spinning your wheels.'
...Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Tap-tap.

catscradle
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>...

Jesus said whatever you do for the least of my brethen you do for me but that is the Jesus of the Catholic Religion. Who knows what Jesus the religious right are following.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Stop being foolish and stick to the point.

DickLeonard
08-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Catscraddle I thought that was the point feed the Hungry while questioning those who are feeding the Rich.####

Gayle in MD
08-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Dick,
I have to laugh everytime I read a post complaining about welfare programs. If everyone in this country would read, "Perfectly Legal" by David Cay Johnston, there would be a bounty out on the top 1% wealthy in this country.

Three decades of skewed tax codes, and many other laws, twisted over three decades to subsidize the richest and most powerful fraction of 1% in this country! Former IRS employees who are on their payrolls, teaching millionaires how to hide their assets from the government, while the rest of us pay for all their travel, golf trips, and a whole range of lifestyles of the rich, daily extravaganzas! Stories of dedicated IRS agents who have been handcuffed from pursuing the most blatant lawbreakers. It's a book that every American should read about our so called Democrazy!

It isn't a matter of spinning ones wheels, it's a matter of being distracted from the most greedy fascist thieves among us, and uninformed citizenry, with f-ed up priorities!

Gayle in Md....to worry about what the poor get from the rest of us, is a fraction of a drop in the bucket of money that the rich steal from all of us everyday!

wolfdancer
08-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Dick, isn't it interesting that the Christian conservatives, do not follow the dictums of the Parables of Jesus Christ, in the Bible.....while the unGodly left is accused of compassion, sharing, etc... signs of weakness,anathemas to the right.
"What is the point of Jesus' story about a wealthy landowner and why does he call him a fool? Jesus does not fault him for his industriousness, but for his egoism and selfishness. Like the [rich man and Lazarus], he had lost the capacity to be concerned for others. His life was consumed with his possessions and his only interests were in himself."

"Lazarus was not only poor, but incapacitated. He was laid at the gates of the rich man's house. The dogs which licked his sores probably also stole the little bread he procured for himself. Dogs in the ancient world symbolized contempt. Enduring the torment of these savage dogs only added to the poor man's miseries and sufferings. The rich man treated the beggar with contempt and indifference."

If you would ask your typical wingnut about this, he would say re the poor and elderly..."sure, we dictum...we do it all the time"

wolfdancer
08-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Dick, google Brent R. Wilkes....a "pioneer"...that's someone who has contributed more then 100k to the "party"
32 envelopes, each filled with 10k for his meetings with members of congress, $840k distributed to congressmen, who then awarded millions of dollars for unnecessary defense projects, etc...all paled in comparision to Cunningham's $500 million spent on a software firm, that doubled as lobbyists.
"The. Biggest. Scandal. Ever! Phony Front Companies Cycle Millions to GOP! House Staffer, DELAY"
web page (http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/12/10/114820/90)
I guess we can grasp the idea of someone ripping off $50 in food stamps....but $500,000,000 is incomprehensible....and while the $50 would merit a jail sentence.....

Well,Yeah, but what about that Clinton/Lewinski thing????

catscradle
08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Catscraddle I thought that was the point feed the Hungry while questioning those who are feeding the Rich.#### <hr /></blockquote>

To paraphrase a song "What's Jesus got to do with it."

I don't happen to believe in much of anything (in terms of religion), but I still think that the Cristian right believe in the same Jesus that the Catholic faith believes in. Besides I think the Christian right is a much over stated influence. Overstated both by them and by liberals.
In terms of the subject of food stamps... As Fran said (and I paraphrase again) just because there is big time misbehaviour going on is no reason not to go after the smalltime misbehaviours.

HiZoot
08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
One of, if not the biggest health problem affecting low income people is obesity. Where are all those starving Americans dying of malnutrition?

The causes of poverty are mainly lack of work ethic, fatherlessness, unwed motherhood (with five or six kids from 5 or six different "fathers"), and disregard for education. Instead of mothers and fathers poor kids now have babymamas and babydaddys--chrissake how about "babykeepyourlegscrossedbiatch!".

Ten year ago welfare reform was signed into law. The liberals predicted doom.

Welfare Check

The doomsayers were dead wrong about reform.

BY RON HASKINS
Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

WSJ Opinions (http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008720)

Ten years ago next month, a bipartisan majority in Congress and a Democratic president launched America's welfare policy in a new and largely uncharted direction.
It would be difficult to exaggerate the predictions of doom hurled against the Republican welfare reform bill signed by President Clinton on Aug. 22, 1996. Mr. Clinton had previously vetoed two versions of welfare reform when, with skill, daring and persistence, Republicans in the House and Senate pushed it through Congress a third time and put it again on the president's desk. In an act of remarkable political courage, Mr. Clinton defied senior members of his own party and most of the American left and signed the radical bill into law.

The left, led by senior Democrats in Congress, the editorial pages of many of the nation's leading newspapers, the Catholic bishops, child advocates in Washington and the professoriate, had assaulted the bill in terms that are rare, even by today's coarse standards. Democrats speaking on the floor of the House labeled the bill "harsh," "cruel" and "mean-spirited." They claimed that it "attacked," "punished" and "lashed out at" children. Columnist Bob Herbert said the bill conducted a "jihad" against the poor, made "war on kids" and "deliberately inflict[ed] harm" on children and the poor. Sen. Frank Lautenberg said poor children would be reduced to "begging for money, begging for food, and... engaging in prostitution."

Many Democrats and pundits shouted that the bill would throw a million children into poverty. Marion Wright Edelman of the Children's Defense Fund said that no one who believed in the Judeo-Christian tradition could support the bill. Even God, it seemed, opposed the evil Republican bill.

The major reform that evoked this onslaught was the proposal to end the entitlement, or legal guarantee of cash benefits, promised by the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program. Kate O'Beirne, now of National Review, perfectly captured the philosophy of entitlement in 1995 testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee, saying that the nation's welfare system operated on the principle of "spend more, demand less." Republicans wanted to demand more by breaking the entitlement and making the cash contingent on serious attempts to find work and achieve self-support.

After three decades of failed federal "work" programs, Republicans had spent years behind the scenes--under the leadership of Newt Gingrich, Clay Shaw, Rick Santorum, Jim Talent and others--developing ideas about how to encourage, cajole or, when necessary, force mothers on welfare to work. Specifically, Republicans proposed to end the entitlement to cash, impose a five-year time limit on benefits, require mothers to prepare for and search for work or have their cash benefit reduced or terminated, and require states to place half their welfare caseload in programs that lead to employment.

Granted, this new system would subject poor mothers to greater risk than the entitlement system it replaced. But in this regard welfare mothers would be no different from millions of other low-income Americans who rely on personal effort rather than government largesse.
Besides, Republicans argued, Congress had created a series of programs that provided substantial support to poor and low-income working families. A typical mother leaving welfare for work earns only around $10,000 per year laboring in an $8 per hour job--the only kind of job for which most poor mothers are qualified. But the Earned Income Tax Credit gives them up to an additional $4,500 (in today's dollars), they qualify for food stamps worth around $2,000, their children are covered by Medicaid, and most who need help paying for child care receive it. On earnings of $10,000, then, mothers leaving welfare have total income of well over $16,000 in cash or near cash--more than twice as much as they would have had on welfare--and their health insurance and child care are usually covered.

In the decade that has passed since the 1996 reforms, the welfare rolls have plummeted by nearly 60%, the first sustained decline since the program was enacted in 1935. Equally important, the employment of single mothers heading families reached the highest level ever. As a group, mothers heading families with incomes of less than about $21,000 per year increased their earnings every year between 1994 and 2000 while simultaneously receiving less money from welfare payments. In inflation-adjusted dollars, they were about 25% better off in 2000 than in 1994, despite the fall in their welfare income.

Over the same period, the child-poverty level enjoyed its most sustained decline since the early 1970s; and both black-child poverty and poverty among female-headed families reached their lowest level ever. Even after four years of increases following the recession of 2001, the child poverty level is still 20% lower than it was before the decline began. Similarly, measures of consumption and hunger show that the material conditions of low-income, female-headed families have improved. Although welfare reform was not without problems, none of the disasters predicted by the left materialized. Indeed, national surveys show that almost every measure of child well-being--except obesity--has improved since the mid-1990s.

The 1996 law, in perhaps the most direct legislative clash of liberal and conservative welfare principles since the New Deal, was a victory for conservative principles. Poor mothers scored a victory for themselves and their children, showing that given adequate motivation and support from work-based government programs, they can join the American mainstream, set an example for their children and communities, and pull themselves and their children out of poverty.

But there's a rub for conservatives: Now and for the foreseeable future, the nation will have millions of poorly educated and unmarried young mothers who are capable of producing labor value of around $8 per hour when they first enter the labor market. They face a Hobson's choice of living in poverty on welfare or living in poverty while working--unless government subsidizes their income. These work-based subsidies--the Earned Income Tax Credit, Medicaid, child care, and so forth--were already in place in 1996 and have been improved since. In effect, welfare reform made government benefits contingent on work, poor mothers responded appropriately, and the combination of earnings and government benefits brought them and their children out of poverty.

Still, there's a lot here for everybody to like--work for conservatives and work-contingent government benefits for the left. The irony of welfare reform is that it firmly implanted the conservative principle of self-sufficiency in federal policy which, in turn, brought the liberal principle of government support for the poor into its most effective form--namely, encouraging work.

Above all, welfare reform showed that work--even low-wage work--provides a more durable foundation for social policy than handouts.

Mr. Haskins is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and author of "Work Over Welfare: The Inside Story of the 1996 Welfare Reform Law," forthcoming from Brookings.