PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Brits

Fran Crimi
08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
...For nabbing the Pakistanis, foiling their attempt to bomb several airliners on their way to the U.S.

To think they were about to hide all the components of explosives in things like toothpaste tubes, etc. I think this one was very very close. Whew!!!

Fran

Deeman3
08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap....

DeeMan

Barbara
08-10-2006, 08:53 AM
My sister and her husband just flew in from Edinburgh. They came via Manchester to Philly. Just in time, too. They probably wouldn't have made it out by the end of the week if they hadn't left yesterday.

This is scary stuff.

Barbara

pooltchr
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I wonder what method the Britts used to uncover the plot. You don't suppose they monitored phone calls, do you??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
It's a tough job staying one step ahead of a group of people determined to bring our country down! Cheers to the Britts!!!
Steve

Deeman3
08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I wonder what method the Britts used to uncover the plot. You don't suppose they monitored phone calls, do you??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <font color="blue"> Yes, they have much less burden of proof to instigate wire taps and searches as they, unlike we, know that during times of war, limited use of intrustions into their freedom will yield better safety of their citizens and that they are temporary in nature. They do have as many left wing politicians as we, probably more, but they are not as isolated from the fact that someone is trying to kill them. </font color>
It's a tough job staying one step ahead of a group of people determined to bring our country down! Cheers to the Britts!!! <font color="blue"> Our CIA played a role in this breakthough as well. </font color>

DeeMan
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

pooltchr
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> Our CIA played a role in this breakthough as well. </font color>

DeeMan
Steve <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
Dee...don't say that too loud! It might turn out that our government used electronic survelience.
Steve

Chopstick
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Hooray for the good guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stretch
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Hooray for the good guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

YES FOR SURE!!! I heard there were as many as 20 arrests in the failed attempt. I wonder if they will release a list of suspected targets. A whole lot of flights out of Halifax Internation Airport were cancelled due to the days events. I think some of those flights were headed to Canada, they usually refuel in Newfoundland. Close friggin call for sure. The thing is, they're going to keep comeing. I really thought they'd try something different this time. St.

Drop1
08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I would like to hear Bush,Rice,and Rumsfeld go over a list of Mid East Countries friendly towards the United States. I think Pakistan would be on that list. This is a perfect example why Israel will not endure. This war on Lebanon is great for Arab intelligence,now they know what they need to take out Israel; longer range misseles. They will wait,and plan,and die willingly,the same way they will sign any treaty,knowing it means nothing.

Deeman3
08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I would like to hear Bush,Rice,and Rumsfeld go over a list of Mid East Countries friendly towards the United States. I think Pakistan would be on that list. This is a perfect example why Israel will not endure. This war on Lebanon is great for Arab intelligence,now they know what they need to take out Israel; longer range misseles. They will wait,and plan,and die willingly,the same way they will sign any treaty,knowing it means nothing. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Your words could be oh so true except for three things. You obviously don't know the passion that Israel will put into it's own self defense, that they will not, for one moment, let international pressure dictate their policy (they have seen what it does to others) and third, they have atomic bombs....

Maybe a better question for Bush, Rumsfield, Rice, Clinton, Kennedy, Gore and all others who should be protecting us, not playing politics with political correctness is: What Muslims do not celebrate in the streets when we, Israel or other non-Muslim countries suffer and are attacked. Perhaps not all Muslims are terrorist, we shall see, but almost all terrorists are Muslims. Do you want to see Israel fail?</font color>

DeeMan

Drop1
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I would never want Israel to fail;please be very clear on that subject. But I do think we have to look at a growing capabilty by the Muslims,and recognize we are not dealing with a mentality that shares our goals. How can we destroy Iraq,and then tell Muslims we feel their pain. It is simply my view,that one day there will be no Israel.

SPetty
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> ...For nabbing the Pakistanis, foiling their attempt to bomb several airliners on their way to the U.S. <hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4780815.stm :</font><hr>Sources told the BBC the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born, and some have links to Pakistan.

A senior Pakistani security official told the AFP news agency that Pakistani intelligence agencies helped British authorities foil the plot.

Foreign Office spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said: "Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network.

"There were some arrests in Pakistan which were coordinated with arrests in the UK." <hr /></blockquote>Yes, Kudos!

Deeman3
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I would never want Israel to fail;please be very clear on that subject. <font color="blue"> I would not accuse you of that, just wanted to know. </font color> But I do think we have to look at a growing capabilty by the Muslims,and recognize we are not dealing with a mentality that shares our goals. <font color="blue"> I do think we have to look at the growing Muslim threat and deal with it. This means limiting the damage they can do in preventing their getting nuclear technology. If they had what Israel has, they would have already used them. That is a frightening thought. </font color> How can we destroy Iraq,and then tell Muslims we feel their pain. <font color="blue"> We have not destroyed Iraqw although you make a good point that we have not made many friends there, at least amoung the radicals.</font color> It is simply my view,that one day there will be no Israel. <font color="blue">Interesting but also a fringhtening thought as without Israel there, a real war is immenent between all the Arabs as their focus will turn from an imagined enemy to themselves. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

DeeMan
as SPetty pointed out, we certainly seem to have had some positive help from one Arab souorce, maybe not all is lost....

9 Ball Girl
08-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Yes Kudos for damn sure! So what did they do to realize that the "toiletries" were actually explosive material? Also, did I hear that there are 10 or 50 more "students" still running around in the U.S.?

Fran Crimi
08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
ABC News Exclusive: Three Alleged Ringleaders ID'd
August 10, 2006 2:02 PM

Brian Ross Reports:

Three of the alleged ringleaders of the foiled airplane bomb plot have been identified by Western intelligence agencies involved in unraveling the plot.

Two of them are believed to have recently traveled to Pakistan and were later in receipt of money wired to them from Pakistan, reportedly to purchase tickets for the suicide bombers.

Sources identify the three, who are now in custody, as:

--Rashid Rauf

--Mohammed al-Ghandra

--Ahmed al Khan

Qtec
08-11-2006, 01:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I wonder what method the Britts used to uncover the plot. You don't suppose they monitored phone calls, do you??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
It's a tough job staying one step ahead of a group of people determined to bring our country down! Cheers to the Britts!!!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Do you think that any American, Brit, Nederlander has a problem with their intelligence services tapping calls of suspected terrorists? Of course they don't!

The UK has a very large muslim population and a lot of Pakistanis. I reckon any muslim travelling to Pakistan will be checked out, especially when after they return, they recieve money SENT from Pakistan. Its normal for UK Pakistanis to send money home to their family- most people there live on $2 a day. A large money transfer FROM P to the UK would certainly ring some alarm bells! [ $5,000 would be large coming from such a poor country]

I know you are going to agree with me Steve on this.

If we are looking for muslim extremists[ and in this case , particuarly for Pakistanis], why are we body searching Mr and Mrs Clark and their 2 kids from NJ at the airport?
Its madness.
If we were looking for Chinese terrorists, should we search Olga from Sweden with the blond hair? [I,m sure a few guys can come up with a few reasons why we should /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif]

Q..........
If I was nAz or Wendy travelling to the the CCB tourny, I would take the train or bus!
If W walks into the airport some security guy will see her tatoos and think 'she's probably been inside, she could be a Muslim Brotherhood' convert! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
nAz would only have to say his full name and he would get the 'rubber glove treatment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif nAz, if your flying, take plenty of lubricant! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[ I can see it now.'hello Mr nAz, I hear you are from palestinian descent. my name is Mojse Horowitz, I,m going to be searching you internally today. Can you touch your toes?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q.......thinks nAz may never fly again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Q..........
If I was nAz or Wendy travelling to the the CCB tourny, I would take the train or bus!
If W walks into the airport some security guy will see her tatoos and think 'she's probably been inside, she could be a Muslim Brotherhood' convert! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
nAz would only have to say his full name and he would get the 'rubber glove treatment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif nAz, if your flying, take plenty of lubricant! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[ I can see it now.'hello Mr nAz, I hear you are from palestinian descent. my name is Mojse Horowitz, I,m going to be searching you internally today. Can you touch your toes?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q.......thinks nAz may never fly again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>ROFLMAO!!!!! Usually when I fly, I try to go dressed as lightly as possible (usually a summer dress) so that there are no belts, etc. involved but I always forget that they'll make me take off my 4 inch Espadrilles because something can be stuffed in the heel portion.

Thanks for the good laugh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JPB
08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Qtec said "If we are looking for muslim extremists[ and in this case , particuarly for Pakistanis], why are we body searching Mr and Mrs Clark and their 2 kids from NJ at the airport?
"Its madness.
If we were looking for Chinese terrorists, should we search Olga from Sweden with the blond hair? [I,m sure a few guys can come up with a few reasons why we should" ]

I agree partially. The problem is that if you get into a pattern and do not search non suspicious people, terrorists may very well find a blonde from Sweden to do something. All kinds of nuts are out there, and there is somebody somewhere politically motivated to do something like this who does not fit the stereotype. Don't get me wrong, I think sometimes the security screenings have been either misguided or useless. I wasn't particularly happy to have my son's bottle taken away while he was drinking it (before the latest liquid ban) so it could be screened. Not letting a nail clipper on a flight that has a 1" nail file was not useful or intelligent, particularly since it took forever to get secure cockpit doors, and all kind of things were allowed on that would make better improvised weapons than a 1" nail file. The trick is to have security procedures that are effective and well thought out. Easier said than done I guess. This latest problem is going to be a mess.

pooltchr
08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Q,
You are dead right on that one. With the known terrorists primarily middle eastern males between 18 and 35, it only makes sense that anyone fitting that profile should be subject to intense examination. If a non-terrorist who fits that profile is offended, or subjected to a bit of extra security checking, so be it. Why are we (the American VICTIMS, having to jump through the hoops?
I see no reason whatsoever why profiling is a bad thing. There is a group of people (middle eastern people) who have made it clear they want to destroy us. OK, we need to start looking very closely at EVERY middle easterner!
When 85 year old grandmothers start threatening our existance, we need to start watching the little old blue hairs!!!
Steve

Stretch
08-11-2006, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Yes Kudos for damn sure! So what did they do to realize that the "toiletries" were actually explosive material? Also, did I hear that there are 10 or 50 more "students" still running around in the U.S.? <hr /></blockquote>

Ya the bombs were pretty damn high tech. They were going to use liquid explosives conceled in bottles in their Carry-on bags. Apparently they can be made to detonate with the flash of a camera.

As a result we will no longer be able to carry on bottled water, cans, lotions, creams, or anything of that nature.

Scary thought, there were 10 trans Atlantic flights targeted. It had the potential to kill more people than even the WTC. St.

Deeman3
08-11-2006, 12:54 PM
We may have calls here and abroad that we should have waited until the bombs went off to make sure they were really, really serious but I am glad they stopped this incident and may head off others as well. Jay Leno said that they were at least thankful they had used the methods they did before the New York Times exposed them to the world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think, given time, they will get to commercial aircraft and have success. A determined advesary won't always be caught in time. If this did happen, the impact to the economy would be devastating, to say the least, not to mention the tragic loss of life. I would guess, if the Jews started using these same terror tactics on Muslim planes there would be two outcomes, round condemnation by the world and a whole lot of exploding planes in the Middle East.

DeeMan

nAz
08-11-2006, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

Q.......thinks nAz may never fly again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Ouch! uh it's a small price to pay having my as*hole probed so my fellow Americans can feel save and secure.

My brother who travels from GA. to LA twice a month has to deal with the occasional extra search even though most of the pilots, flight attendants and screen checkers know him by first name... he tells me what gets him is the looks that his fellow passengers give him... very uncomfortable. really suxs for him especially since he was in the Army (airborne ranger) for 10 years and 6 more as a reservist. all this makes me wonder if another Timothy Mcveig was to come along and blows up another building will my fellow CCBers be willing to have White Americans profiled too? naaaaaaaa not the same thing.

oh yeah thank you UK! good to know they are on top of things on other side of the pond.

hmm i wonder if GWB approval ratings will go up now?

pooltchr
08-12-2006, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think, given time, they will get to commercial aircraft and have success. A determined advesary won't always be caught in time.
DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

The problem is that we have to be right 100% of the time...they only have to get lucky once!
Steve

DickLeonard
08-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Pooltchr as I have pointed out numerous times they the terrorists have us snookered. It took 100,000 to bring down the twin towers and we spent two Trillion and we haven't caught cold yet.
The terrorists don't have to do one more thing but just plot and leak the info and we spend millions beefing up security.
If we had a brain at the top, the brain would be leaking that we foiled a plot to blow up Mecca. The group had come close to getting their hands on a neuclear warhead. Give the unit a few initials to ring fear in the Muslim terrorists. If their terror brings retaliation against Mecca the Muslims might decide to clean their own house.

What we really need is a few Hollywood screenwriters devising plots for our MES. Muslim Extermination Squad.####

9 Ball Girl
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> My brother who travels from GA. to LA twice a month has to deal with the occasional extra search even though most of the pilots, flight attendants and screen checkers know him by first name... he tells me what gets him is the looks that his fellow passengers give him... very uncomfortable. really suxs for him especially since he was in the Army (airborne ranger) for 10 years and 6 more as a reservist. all this makes me wonder if another Timothy Mcveig was to come along and blows up another building will my fellow CCBers be willing to have White Americans profiled too? naaaaaaaa not the same thing.

oh yeah thank you UK! good to know they are on top of things on other side of the pond.

hmm i wonder if GWB approval ratings will go up now? <hr /></blockquote>Nasser can fly with me. He's hot!!!

Deeman3
08-13-2006, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Pooltchr as I have pointed out numerous times they the terrorists have us snookered. It took 100,000 to bring down the twin towers and we spent two Trillion and we haven't caught cold yet.
The terrorists don't have to do one more thing but just plot and leak the info and we spend millions beefing up security.
If we had a brain at the top, the brain would be leaking that we foiled a plot to blow up Mecca. The group had come close to getting their hands on a neuclear warhead. Give the unit a few initials to ring fear in the Muslim terrorists. If their terror brings retaliation against Mecca the Muslims might decide to clean their own house.

What we really need is a few Hollywood screenwriters devising plots for our MES. Muslim Extermination Squad.####
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Now you are thinking Dick. </font color>

DeeMan

pooltchr
08-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Dick,
I really like this idea! Good Thinking!!
Steve