PDA

View Full Version : Do you change your aim point if you use side?

TomBrooklyn
08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Do you change your aimpoint on the object ball if you're using English versus no English?

cueball1950
08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi Tom.... i would have to say yes to your question because of deflection of the cue ball with the side spin (english) on it. Depending on how much to change your aiming point will depend on how much spin you put on the cue ball. plus another factor is going to be the closeness of the cue ball to the object ball. Wehn i am in the pool room and i try to explain this to someone who wants to learn it, what i do is put a ball on the foot spot and the cue ball on the head spot and have them shoot it with different degrees of english. then i have them move the cue ball a couple of balls closer to let them see the new difference....etc etc. they learn pretty quickly on where to now aim using the english.....did not mean to give a type of lesson. just what i do myself..........................mike

Cornerman
08-12-2006, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Do you change your aimpoint on the object ball if you're using English versus no English? <hr /></blockquote>Of course.

Fred

Fran Crimi
08-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Depends on the speed of the shot, how much sidespin, how close the cb is to the ob, how close the ob is to the pocket. Some shots don't require any adjustment because due to the amount of squirt vs. swerve, it all evens out by the time the cb arrives at the ob.

I'd say the majority of the time, yes, I make a slight to major aim adjustment.

Fran

Billy_Bob
08-12-2006, 08:56 AM
The object ball can go an alternate direction depending on how you hit the cue ball and what english (side) you use.

The following online "Throw Test" video by Colin Colenso demonstrates this very well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xtzn4vbiQ

hectorcaves
10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
try left right right left aiming system

JohnnyP
10-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Fran: I love to play around with that shot. You hit it, then wait for the ball to break, like in bowling.

MrLucky
10-24-2006, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Depends on the speed of the shot, how much sidespin, how close the cb is to the ob, how close the ob is to the pocket. Some shots don't require any adjustment because due to the amount of squirt vs. swerve, it all evens out by the time the cb arrives at the ob.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> Excellent answer! Fran sweet and to the point! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Depends on the speed of the shot, how much sidespin, how close the cb is to the ob, how close the ob is to the pocket. Some shots don't require any adjustment because due to the amount of squirt vs. swerve, it all evens out by the time the cb arrives at the ob.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> Excellent answer! Fran sweet and to the point! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Agreed. Excellent answer.

Dave

Fran Crimi
10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran

colincolenso
10-25-2006, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> The object ball can go an alternate direction depending on how you hit the cue ball and what english (side) you use.

The following online "Throw Test" video by Colin Colenso demonstrates this very well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xtzn4vbiQ
<hr /></blockquote>
This video on Back Hand English (28 mins) goes into more detail about the relationships between aiming with English, how various angles and speeds affect this and how BHE and bridge lengths can be used to systematically adjust.

http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/InstructionalVideos/_archives/2006/8/8/2209739.html

Colin