PDA

View Full Version : 8 vs 9

Yilun
08-13-2006, 01:31 AM
I know this may have been discussed here already but I'm new to the forum and there has been something I wanted to discuss with the pool population for quite some time now.

My friends always debate with me about how they think 8 ball is inferior to 9 ball and that it is much "easier." However, I happen to be an avid player who has played both games extensively. Frankly, I enjoy 8 ball better because of the pattern play and table vision involved required to win if ur playing against a very game opponent. When people claim that it's easier cuz there is no order in which you have to pocket the balls, i think its nonsense because running out in 8 ball could potentially be just as hard as 9 ball considering there are more clusters and obstacles on the table. Moreover, what may appear to be multiple choices may in actuality, only have 1 optimal pattern after all.

I was wondering what the pool community here thinks of this argument?

Rich R.
08-13-2006, 05:09 AM
This has been discussed and I'm sure you could find the discussions in the archives.

IMHO, 8-ball and 9-ball are different. Neither is harder nor easier and both have their difficulties. It takes skill to play either well.