PDA

View Full Version : Strickland, a complicated man

wolfdancer
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I confess that when first I made acquaintance with Strickland I never for a moment discerned that there was in him anything out of the ordinary. Yet now few will be found to deny his greatness.He disturbs and arrests. It is no longer a mark of eccentricity to defend or of perversity to extol him. His faults are accepted as the necessary complement to his merits.
He has a drive so strong that he is willing to sacrifice everything toward that end. Anti-social, and feeling no obligation to observe even the smallest social decencies, Strickland has become increasingly boorish
When Strickland was asked about his views on German philosopher Emmanuel Kant's categorical imperative: "Act so that every one of your actions is capable of being made into a universal rule." Kant's statement, a classic dictum in Western ethical philosophy,it did not register with him. He replied, "I never heard it before, but it's rotten nonsense."
Examining Strickland poses two principal questions. First, what responsibility does the individual have to the rules of the society in which he or she lives? And more specifically, what responsibility does the person of genuis have to society?
The Moon And Sixpence...Charles Strickland (Somerset Maugham)

Deeman3
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I confess that when first I made acquaintance with Strickland I never for a moment discerned that there was in him anything out of the ordinary. Yet now few will be found to deny his greatness.He disturbs and arrests. It is no longer a mark of eccentricity to defend or of perversity to extol him. His faults are accepted as the necessary complement to his merits.
He has a drive so strong that he is willing to sacrifice everything toward that end. Anti-social, and feeling no obligation to observe even the smallest social decencies, Strickland has become increasingly boorish
When Strickland was asked about his views on German philosopher Emmanuel Kant's categorical imperative: "Act so that every one of your actions is capable of being made into a universal rule." Kant's statement, a classic dictum in Western ethical philosophy,it did not register with him. He replied, "I never heard it before, but it's rotten nonsense." <font color="blue"> I find it hard to live to Kant's requirements as well. How many of us can live our lives to that standard. I have often been a defender of Earl, as I like him and want him to do well. As of late, with no input from the long dead Mr. Kant, I have found Earl's tirades to be more boreing and uncomfortable than maniacal. If it out of mental illness, I will accept it. if it to shark and confuse opponents, and that seems more and more ot be the case, I do not like it and feel pity for him. </font color>
Examining Strickland poses two principal questions. First, what responsibility does the individual have to the rules of the society in which he or she lives? <font color="blue"> To operate with in the laws and within acceptable behaviour outside the rule of law but OR be willing to accept society's sanctions. </font color> And more specifically, what responsibility does the person of genuis have to society? <font color="blue"> More and less. Less if your genuis contributes to the world, more if your skill only gives you visibility and wealth.</font color>
The Moon And Sixpence...Charles Strickland (Somerset Maugham) <hr /></blockquote>

DeeMan

wolfdancer
08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
You trying to turn my charade into a moral debate, a discussion on ethics?
I was kind of struck by the resemblences between the fictional Strickland, and the "legendary" Strickland.I guess when you are that driven, that self-centered, the polite conventions of social behavior way be an annoyance. I'll let you know, if I ever win another tournament, any tournament

Deeman3
08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
No, not trying to make a moral debate, just bored, like you.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan

Drop1
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem with Jesus Christ.

Drop1
08-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Well now you have stirred up the ashes of April. Kant,and in comes Sarte. Time for my nap.

Qtec
08-16-2006, 02:43 AM
If you are a genius, you don't conform, you dictate! A genius doesn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.
Earl is a fantstic player and I guess he has the ultimate 'its me against the world' complex.

One of my all-time favourite players was Bobby Fisher! [ yeah I know its chess ]What a guy! Brilliant but sadly unstable.

Q

for the chess lovers- there was a game between Kasparov and Annand. K was down 3 pieces and still won! A brilliant example of manipulation. Anybody know which game that was?

Fran Crimi
08-16-2006, 06:22 AM
I think that perhaps sometimes 'obsessive' can cleverly mask as 'genius'. Dontcha think?

Fran