PDA

View Full Version : "You're going down Grand Ma"

PQQLK9
07-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Love that BCA Commercial /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Scott Lee
07-13-2002, 12:11 PM
PQQLK9...Definitely! A class act for the sport!

Scott

Karatemom
07-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Same here, loved it!!!

Heide

07-13-2002, 01:12 PM
I wouldv'e shown the little girl making a few balls... not necessarily winning, but making a few balls...

Cueless Joey
07-13-2002, 01:12 PM
My gramma beats me all the time. LOL
Remember the old Budweiser commercial where guys dress in drag to get free Buds? Didn't Fran do the shots for those "ladies"?

Q-guy
07-13-2002, 01:29 PM
I would have rather have seen the camera show a montage of nice shots. Cutting to a young guy in his teens standing with his cue looking dejected. As the last ball goes in the camera swings around to show an old lady with a cue. Then the young man says "Nice game grand ma." She gives a big smile. I thought the commercial with the old women sharking the young girl as she tries to shoot, and the young girls making a wise ass "Your going down" comment. Feeds right in the public perception of pool. I don't even remember what the product was, now that I think about it. I guess they know who their audience is, but I would not have approved of such a spot if I were the sponsor. I thought it was terrible.

TomBrooklyn
07-13-2002, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I thought the commercial with the old women sharking the young girl as she tries to shoot, and the young girls making a wise ass "Your going down" comment. Feeds right in the public perception of pool. ...I guess they know who their audience is, but I would not have approved of such a spot if I were the sponsor. I thought it was terrible. <hr></blockquote>Correct, their audience was the general recreational pool playing public. It was a BCA ad designed to promote general interest in pool. I was shocked at the grandma's shark, and surprised at the granddaughters intensity, but that was precisely the effect that was being sought. To the recreational player, such tactics are considered acceptable.

Also, the grandmothers sharking tactic was juxtaposed with the stiffness in her walk, and the granddaughters intensity was juxtaposed with her youthful exhuberance and her lack of height which softened the negative effect. It seems to me that the BCA wants to convert some occasional players into more serious players, and is willing to worry about them learning the finer points of pool etiquette later.

The character flaws of the two players added to their believability, and they wound up looking cute. I give the ad two thumbs up.

Barbara
07-13-2002, 03:30 PM
No! Fran did the shots for the "Pool Shooting Chicken" that this guy brings in to a bar and bets that "his chicken can out shoot you, period!" It was hilarious and Fran had to learn how to shoot with an oval-shaped cue ball. Plus!! The chicken kept wanting to peck the crap out of her arm because she actually had to shoot the shot underneath the bird while the guy was holding it!! It took somehting like 36 hours of shooting film before they got the final 30 seconds of commercial! It should've won a Clio!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! It was one of the best pool commercials I've ever seen!!! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Barbara~~~feel free to call Fran the "Chicken Woman"!!!

phil in sofla
07-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Nice review, Tom.

You left out the valuable lessons it taught, making it all the more great:

1) Woofing about how the opponent is 'going down' doesn't help you win
2) The older wiser players are the ones to be wary of
3) because, among other things, they know some sharking moves that will get you to woof and lose focus, and
4) they can manipulate things so they get you to play at their place, where it's just like their second (first?) home

Cueless Joey
07-13-2002, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> No! Fran did the shots for the "Pool Shooting Chicken" that this guy brings in to a bar and bets that "his chicken can out shoot you, period!" It was hilarious and Fran had to learn how to shoot with an oval-shaped cue ball. Plus!! The chicken kept wanting to peck the crap out of her arm because she actually had to shoot the shot underneath the bird while the guy was holding it!! It took somehting like 36 hours of shooting film before they got the final 30 seconds of commercial! It should've won a Clio!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! It was one of the best pool commercials I've ever seen!!! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!

Barbara~~~feel free to call Fran the "Chicken Woman"!!! <hr></blockquote>.....
Needless to say Fran earned her eggs on this one. LOL
I've never seen the commercial. God bless Fran. What she wouldn't do in the name of pool...
Shooting under a chicken? Isn't that a fowl? LOL

Q-guy
07-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Are you serious, do think those bozo's that made that commercial think that deep? They just took the simple stereotypical approach you always see when pool is shown in any TV show. I am surprised they didn't show them playing for the little girls toys.

PoolChick02
07-13-2002, 04:54 PM
I liked the commercial, but I agree that the young girl should have made a shot or 2, or at least been taught to hold the cue right. I liked how there enjoyment was displayed and it gives an interest to the young and the young at heart.

07-13-2002, 05:16 PM
huh!!!

07-13-2002, 05:22 PM
lemme put it this way. if i had a daughter, i wouldn't want her to wise-ass her grandmother.

the only thing good about the commercial was there was at least an effort to be creative. and they had a cute grandma and a cute kid doing cute things like trying to blow the ob off its path.

Gayle in MD
07-14-2002, 08:18 PM
I loved it! I thought it was really a cute commercial. Made me think of my grand-daughter. We've been letting her stand on a bench and roll the balls into the pockets since we got the new table. She's getting pretty good at it, too. She is just three and a half, so a cue, even a short one, is too much right now, but one saturday morning, after she finished her pancakes, she picked up her napkin, wiped her mouth, and said, "OK, Gramama, now lets wash our hands and brush our teeth, and go downstairs and shoot some pool" LOL, sounded so funny!
She's a trip!
Gayle in Md. Just lovin' grand-motherhood!

07-15-2002, 10:39 AM

SPetty
07-15-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Haven't you ever had a relative who would not just let you win? I used to have an uncle who stomped me every time at checkers when I was around 8 yrs old. He didn't teach me anything, he just liked to pound me. But you know what, I came back for more and more and more.<hr></blockquote>Hi whitewolf,

I stomp my young nephew (playing pool, not checkers) every chance I get. He's learning to lose much more gracefully than he used to. But, on that day in the not too distant future when he actually beats me, he will definitely have earned it and he'll know it!

Q-guy
07-15-2002, 09:46 PM
Like I said they know their audience. You would just think they would try to rise above that kind of tired stereotype. The seniors for good commercials showing pool in a more positive light are endless, without having to resort to that silly old stuff.

07-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Well, if you want a true, old-fashioned, "feel- good" type pool commercial, try the bull and bear on CNBC and other news networks. Too funny, and NO negative stereotypes! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Guys, I think we're taking this stuff way too seriously again, and you know what happens from here! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

PQQLK9
07-16-2002, 06:33 AM
Welcome home Lorri...MISSED YA!

Lester
07-16-2002, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Are you serious, do think those bozo's that made that commercial think that deep? They just took the simple stereotypical approach you always see when pool is shown in any TV show. I am surprised they didn't show them playing for the little girls toys. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;At this point, any exposure (good or bad) would help our sport. The bad-boy image is extremely marketable, but hard to manage because (as this thread illustrates) everyone has their own idea of "too far". Everything has it's good and bad sides, the trick is to balance both in the public's image. JMHO ****Lester****

TomBrooklyn
07-16-2002, 06:47 AM
As they say in Show Biz, any publicity is good publicity. Cheers,

Rich R.
07-16-2002, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>
I stomp my young nephew (playing pool, not checkers) every chance I get. He's learning to lose much more gracefully than he used to. But, on that day in the not too distant future when he actually beats me, he will definitely have earned it and he'll know it! <hr></blockquote>
When your nephew's winning day comes, he will appreciate it much more than if you let him win. Both of you will know he earned it and you will both feel better for it.
Rich R.~~~not a fan of "letting" children win.

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2002, 08:02 AM
I kinda liked the commercial. It reminded me of when I used to play with my Dad when I was like 8 years old. Anyway, the commercial was advertising the BCA. Pool, It's Everybody's Game (I think that's their slogan?)

cheesemouse
07-16-2002, 01:52 PM
I think the commercial is charming and harmless to pools image. Little girls to granmas play the game; it is cute and is only selling the game, no charge.

Q-guy
07-16-2002, 02:10 PM
I guess you guys have convinced me. Maybe I am seeing something that is not there. I do believe it could be more creative and cleaver, but on it's face it is for the most part harmless. I don't have any children and I guess I don't identify with the cuteness of kids. My experience with kids are the children of some of my tenants that wreck everything and cost me money and aggravation.

cheesemouse
07-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Q-guy,
Haaaahaaaaa...that cracked me up....I don't have kids either...cheers and good humor to you...Later.....

PQQLK9
07-22-2002, 08:31 PM
The story behind this Ad is on page 82 of this months Billiards Digest (August)