PDA

View Full Version : hey, mike sigel !

07-13-2002, 12:58 PM
it's tony roblEs. as in, you pronounce the "e".

it's not like mitch lawrence was pronouncing in correctly the whole time for your benefit or anything. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-13-2002, 01:40 PM
is this really tony?

07-13-2002, 01:44 PM
no,,,it's arnie. as in either the "i" or "e" is silent. i could never figure out which one. or maybe they can only be pronounce in tandem. or maybe either could do without the other, as in arne or arni.:)

phil in sofla
07-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Is it? Are you sure?

Sigel mentioned that he had known Tony for a long time. Maybe Tony or his family had taken the less obvious pronounciation back when.

Just like we had a former mayor of Tampa, Martinez, who became governor for one term. All through his public life, he pronounced the name 'MARTin-ez,' but when he ran for governor, he changed it to 'Mar-TEEN-ez,' to cash in on the Latino vote (and maybe, to downplay that connection before the statewide race).

Or you have everyone in the country mispronouncing the Vice President's last name. They all say CHAY-nee (me too), when evidently it always used to be CHEE-nee when he was young, growing up, and going by how the family pronounced their own family surname.

My all time favorite name pronounciation dispute comeuppance was back when we were reading Herman Hesse's novels in school. Those who went with the silent 'e', as in Hess (the oil company), were criticized by the more impressed with themselves crowd, who insisted it should be a pronounced 'e'-- as in Hess-eh. Later, it was discovered that Hesse was Swiss, and therefore, the family name was pronounced HessEE.

Goes to show you never can tell from first glances, or what seems reasonable, or what the majority of people do. Since I don't think Sigel is an idiot, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt until more info is in.

TomBrooklyn
07-13-2002, 03:30 PM
Siegel pronounced it as if it was spelled Robels. I doubt if this is correct. Even better pronunciation would be to trill the R, sort of like Rrrobles. It is a Spanish name and that is how the Spanish pronounce it.

It is very important for an announcer to pronounce the players names correctly, because it becomes an instant distraction every time they pronounce it wrong. It caught my attention negatively every time he said it.

Cueless Joey
07-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Phil wrote..My all time favorite name pronounciation dispute comeuppance was back when .....
My favorite mispronunciation is on the word pronUnciation. LOL. People still say it as pronOUnciation.

07-13-2002, 03:55 PM
I didn't see the broadcast, but that is a common mispronunciation of Tony's name.

It should be pronounced like the word, "robeless".

- Steve

PoolChick02
07-13-2002, 05:07 PM
They need to tell the announcers how to say the names before they go on butchering names. This is how people's names start being questioned and get all mixed up and mispronounced all the time.

PoolChick02~hates mispronunciations; because of it she once lost a spelling bee.

phil in sofla
07-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Well, what do expect people to pronounce it as when they spell it wrong (mea culpa)? LOL!!!!

Chris Cass
07-13-2002, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolChick02:</font><hr>
PoolChick02~hates mispronunciations; because of it she once lost a spelling bee. <hr></blockquote>

I know one other person who did that. Now, I know two. lollollol

Regards,

C.C.

Alfie
07-13-2002, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> It should be pronounced like the word, "robeless". <hr></blockquote> like robe'less, not roe'blez?

07-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Man, you guys should have heard what Allen Hopkins was doing to Fong Pang Chou's name during the Challenge of Champions matches, he didn't even come close and gave it a different crazy pronunciation every time he attempted to say it. I think the commentators could give a little more effort into getting the players name right, i mean when a pool player makes it to the tv screen i doubt he or she would want to have his or her name mispronounced 20 or 30 times........

07-13-2002, 08:14 PM
sorry about the anonymous

07-13-2002, 09:34 PM
you mean not even roe' blaze? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Harold Acosta
07-14-2002, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Alfie:</font><hr> Quote: Steve_Lipsky: It should be pronounced like the word, "robeless".

like robe'less, not roe'blez? <hr></blockquote>

Any of the two quotes are most similar to the correct pronounciation.

Robeless would sound very familiar to how it is said in Spanish.

roe'blez would be how it sounds in English.

<font color=black> [b]
Harold ` didn't know a lick of Spanish when I first came to Puerto Rico.

Kato
07-14-2002, 01:21 AM
I watched both the Fong Pang Chao match in question and the Robles/Duel matchup today. I figured both of them would pronounce the names the same way. I figure Mitch pronounced it correctly. I always assumed it was pronounced the way Mitch said it.

Kato

jjinfla
07-14-2002, 05:30 PM
So how did Cory miss that 9-ball? And his pushing the 9-ball, or cue ball, to forfeit was a non-issue on TV. And Tony thought it was great! Jake

Barbara
07-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Yeah, How the heck did Corey miss??

Things that you go hmmmmmmm....

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
07-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Robles. You're suppose to trill the R. And, all of the vowels have short sounds. There are no long sounding vowels in Spanish. As a matter fact, when you say Robles in Spanish, you don't even hear the "s".