PDA

View Full Version : Pool table purchase - Looking for input

wendy
08-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I am researching the purchase of our first pool table. The extended family that will be using the table consists of 6 adults and 2 junior high nephews. This will be for a game room in the finished basement. None of us are pool players today.

We live in a rural area and have limited availability of various brands in our area. Based on research have all ready thrown out 'American Heritage' as an option. The other dealer has Brunswick and Olhausen and based on our price range has recommended (and we like) the Brunswick Bradford. The only other dealer in the vicinity has C.L. Bailey. Is it worth a 150 mile trip to go check them out? I'm unable to determine whether the price points and quality are comparable to a Brunswick.

The Brunswick quote we have is pretty much the MSRP for the 8' table. $100 less if it is 1" slate.

Felt - he's suggesting an upgrade to Centennial Cloth for $175. I've read on the boards two other brands - Simonis 760 or 860 and Milliken SuperPro. The Centiennial Cloth is worsted billiard cloth w/ stain protection. Is this the same as Milliken? Is $175 a good price?

The 'Excaliber Play Package' is included, but he's changing out the balls for better balls for $50. He indicated the other ones were more synthetic and would be more likely to leave marks on the table. I could feel the difference, but have no idea whether it matters or not.

This is quite a large purchase and we just want to be sure we have considered all the options and are asking the right questions.

- Wendy

wannabeplayer
08-18-2006, 06:35 AM
First of all...where are you shopping at? of the 2 brands i would suggest the Olhausen pool table.I was in the same boat but from all the research that i had done the olhausen seemed to be the best for the money. The reasons are....A pre assembled frame compared to a frame that is in total pieces. No worries about the frame being put together right. Olahusen cushions....The only american made cushion that will never harden or dry rot. The warranty (this is what sold me) no exclusions in the warranty such as "abnormal playing conditions void the warraty". Lastly..Made in the USA as opposed to made in China was a huge difference to me. I thought about the warranty and if the table is made here i know that i can still get the parts made even if it was 20 years down the road compared to having the the parts made offshore. it was a huge difference to me. Did you check out the Olhausen Eclipse (the one i bought)or Americana?

wendy
08-18-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm in SW Minnesota, near Marshall. We did just locate a dealer in Marshall (before we had been in Sioux Falls, SD). Funny you should mention Olhausen...the dealer in SF had those also, but steered us to the Brunswick right away. I had (incorrectly) assumed the Olhausen was more expensive.

I am now in contact w/ another Burnswick/Olhausen dealer and she mentioned the Reno and Americana. We want one that looks nice - like furniture.

Is there anything specific I should be asking regarding the cloth? or cushions (do they all come w/ Accufast cushions)?

Wendy

wannabeplayer
08-18-2006, 01:05 PM
in reguards to playability and cushions...get the one with the accufast cushions. That would be either the reno or eclipse. The best buy for the money in my opinion is the eclipse. It is nice furniture and it has the accufast and the italian slate. Plus it has the full lifetime guarantee. I looked at the american as well. Nice piece of furniture but it didnt have the accufast cushions. I coulda upgraded the cushions but by the time i did that i was better off with an Eclipse. Go to www.olhausenbilliards.com (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com) and you can build the table you want.