PDA

View Full Version : feasibility of assembling a make shift break cue

berlowmj
08-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I have read descriptions of the Slegehammer, Predator BK etc & it appears that the distinguishing feature is the phenelic one piece ferrule & tip. Could I have this assembly put onto my extra $35 Players shaft & get the same performance as I could from these $300+ break cues?

Cornerman
08-18-2006, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berlowmj:</font><hr> I have read descriptions of the Slegehammer, Predator BK etc &amp; it appears that the distinguishing feature is the phenelic one piece ferrule &amp; tip. Could I have this assembly put onto my extra $35 Players shaft &amp; get the same performance as I could from these $300+ break cues? <hr /></blockquote>My Predator BK does not have a phenolic tip. The BK2 might have a phenolic tip, but I don't believe it's a tip/ferrule combo.

Anyway, putting a phenolic tip would certainly help on your PLayers. I would suggest just a phenolic tip, not a phenolic tip/ferrule combo.

Fred

tjlmbklr
08-19-2006, 05:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berlowmj:</font><hr> I have read descriptions of the Slegehammer, Predator BK etc &amp; it appears that the distinguishing feature is the phenelic one piece ferrule &amp; tip. Could I have this assembly put onto my extra $35 Players shaft &amp; get the same performance as I could from these $300 break cues? <hr /></blockquote>

I had my guy by the name of Kevin Varney(who built me a J/B cue), put one of his canvas resin tip/ferrule combos on a freebie(Kiaser) cue. It just doesn't perform as well as my J/B cue, there is no substituted for the real deal.

Paul_Mon
08-19-2006, 06:48 AM
The simple answer is yes. I won a Robin Dodson jump cue a few years back and seldom used it. A few months back I was looking at the thread and realized it was the same as my break cue. I screwed the jump shaft onto my break shaft and was very pleased with the results. It looks like $hit but the hard phenolic oversized tip does the job for me.

Paul Mon

Snapshot9
08-19-2006, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berlowmj:</font><hr> I have read descriptions of the Slegehammer, Predator BK etc &amp; it appears that the distinguishing feature is the phenelic one piece ferrule &amp; tip. Could I have this assembly put onto my extra $35 Players shaft &amp; get the same performance as I could from these $300+ break cues? <hr /></blockquote>

I bought the J&amp;J break/jump cue (mainly because I won an Ebay bid for low $$), and have since bought a 2nd shaft for it. It has the 1 piece 1/2" phenolic ferrule/tip.
I am very pleased with it. Both for breaking and jumping.
For the money, it is hard to beat. Chrisonline on AZB is selling them in the for/sale section for $58 shipped.

DickLeonard
08-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Paul Mon nice to see your back. We can now remove your name from the Most Wanted List.####

walt8880
08-27-2006, 05:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berlowmj:</font><hr> I have read descriptions of the Slegehammer, Predator BK etc &amp; it appears that the distinguishing feature is the phenelic one piece ferrule &amp; tip. Could I have this assembly put onto my extra $35 Players shaft &amp; get the same performance as I could from these $300+ break cues? <hr /></blockquote>

My anser would be "NO", not the same as a designed J/B cue, but you can do something that will help.

Before getting the Varney J/B that I have now and really like, I took an old cue that the pool room owner gave me and put one of Joe Picones White Diamond tips on it. He also gave me a second butt which we sawed off for 40 inches total length to use with the same shaft as a jump cue.

It breaks and jumps pretty good for almost no money.