PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Pool Puzzle

07-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Saw this puzzle in a pool magazine years ago
I have shown this puzzle to many good players. Most did not figure it out.
Think you can?
Never tried explaining it on line before without a diagram so I hope everything is clear to all. Here goes.

Set up
Starting with only 6 balls on the table, 1 thru 6 (no cue ball is needed)
Stand at the foot of table facing head rail.

Freeze the 1 ball to the side rail on your right at the center diamond.
Freeze the 2 ball to the 1 ball, them the 3 to the 2, the 4 to the 3, etc., until you have a six balls, low to high, in a perpendicular straight line off of the center diamond off the right side rail.

When showing this puzzle to someone in person, use any six balls. Only setting balls up this way so everyone online is on the same page.
You can use the back side of a triangle to help align the balls in frozen straight line off that rail. Tap balls lightly if necessary to freeze.

Object
To pocket all 6 balls, in all 6 pockets, in just 6 shots.

Rules
Start with any ball you want. Announce a pocket. Shoot it in.
If any ball moves other than the one you are attempting to pocket, its a foul, game is over.
No banks allowed.

Just curious to see how many know this puzzle or can figure it out.
Hope ya have as much fun with this as I did.
But
its just me a.k.a. rich s.
Good luck!

phil in sofla
07-13-2002, 06:32 PM
By 'center' diamond on your right, do you mean the 2nd diamond up from the corner, in the center of that rail segment between the corner pocket and side pocket?

07-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Thats correct!!

Scott Lee
07-13-2002, 07:10 PM
This is a very old trick. It was shown to me by Willie Jopling over 20 years ago. I do this puzzle in my shows frequently, especially when I am performing at an engineering school...as it is engineering knowhow that allows you to figure it! LOL Never been to an engineering school yet, where they did NOT figure it out! The average player will usually have no clue. BTW, the solution is extraordinarily simple!

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
07-13-2002, 07:41 PM
2nd ball from rail, masse into same rail far corner pocket,

3rd ball into nearest corner pocket

4th ball into closest side pocket

6th ball into farthest corner pocket

5th ball into second closest corner pocket

1st ball into opposite side pocket

took awhile to figure it out.. but the masse shot was the key and simple to make.. just like Scott said

BTW I am an engineer.. LOL

07-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Right about the simple solution.

07-13-2002, 08:23 PM
Congrats Tom!!
Does your table roll off to the right a bit? lol.
I forgot to exclude engineers in my original post. lol.
Although your solution differs slightly from mine.
I guess its because my table is triple shimmed.
New Puzzle for Tom.
Try executing same puzzle pocketing farthest ball from rail(6 ball)into closest side pocket.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-13-2002, 08:31 PM
When I master that much masse.. maybe I'll try it.. LOL

07-13-2002, 08:40 PM
If you want to improve your masse 300% instantly,
put one of those rubber tips on an house cue or a spare shaft.
Those tips are a real riot.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-13-2002, 08:48 PM
In my younger days.. with the older style butt bumpers.. I did exactly that..

Scott Lee
07-14-2002, 06:48 AM
Tom...Actually, 'itsjustme' has it right. The easiest ball to shoot into the close side pocket is the farthest one out. The masse is the 5th ball away from the rail (and is the first shot), and is very easy to make. Elevate the butt of your cue 45 degrees, and that 5th ball easily curves right into the far corner pocket, without disturbing the string.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Scott,
I will give it a try.. I would imagine the 5th ball masse shot to the corner pocket would be tougher, than the 2nd ball.. but I will try it next time at the table.

Its still a good exercise... makes players think too.. LOL

Alfie
07-14-2002, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...Actually, 'itsjustme' has it right. The easiest ball to shoot into the close side pocket is the farthest one out. The masse is the 5th ball away from the rail (and is the first shot), and is very easy to make. Elevate the butt of your cue 45 degrees, and that 5th ball easily curves right into the far corner pocket, without disturbing the string.

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote> Scott, would you put this thing on Wei's table, please.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 12:44 PM
1st the 2 ball, then the 3, then the 6, 5, 4, and finally the one.. the arrows show where I think they sould go..

START(
%Ag6Z9%Bg6Y5%Cg5X1%Dg6V9%Eg5U5%Fg5T0%H[3\6%It2[9%QB0[0%RB2B1
%SZ8A7%Ts4B0%Ur7D1%Vh1U0%Ys2Z7%Zg7X1%[D4D1%\f7S6%]\2[2%^g0W0
%_[6C7%`b6Q8%ag0Z1%bD2[2%cO0Y4%df7Y3
)END

Tom_In_Cincy
07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Scott Lee is correct again.

I took this to the pool hall last nite and the 5th ball out was easily masse into the far corner pocket..

Good little trick.. baffled some pretty good players in the PH.. I guess because they had to think.. without using the cueball.. LOL

SpiderMan
07-15-2002, 11:36 AM
I've never tried this, but is it not somewhat difficult to masse a ball from between two other balls frozen to it, without making one of the other two wiggle just slightly?

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
07-15-2002, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Scott Lee is correct again.<hr></blockquote>

Tom...Geez, I HATE it when that happens! LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
07-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Spiderman...Nope! Just elevate the cue 45 degrees, and shoot the 5th ball in a straight line towards the end rail, with a masse stroke. Even a soft stroke will put enough spin on the OB to curve it right into the far corner pocket.
By shooting straight out of the line of balls, it is easily possible to make this first ball, without disturbing the whole line.

Scott Lee