PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball breaking efficieny

berlowmj
08-20-2006, 10:21 PM
How often, in percetange, should an intermediate vs advanced player be able to make a ball on the break? How much difference will the choice of a break cue make?

ceebee
08-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Buying a Break Cue won't make much difference, until you've learned how to use one. When you have the knowledge, good tools will assist you in being consistant.

There are instructors, books & DVDs available, that will show you some info on making a specific ball in the rack (this alone will give you a higher ball pocketing percentage).

The 8-Ball rack can't be dealt with, like the 9-Ball Rack. You can't over power it. Try inspecting the rack for poor structure, you can't overcome bean bag racks. Gain the knowledge on what to do (contact point accuracy & speed) & understand how to modify that criteria, if necessary for the conditions at hand.

Also, watch your opponent's break shot, especially if they are scoring & you're not. Their particular placement of the cue ball & the speed of their shot, may be the key ingredients of their success.

PoolSharkAllen
08-22-2006, 05:38 AM
I break with my regular playing cue and oftentimes make 1-3 balls on the break. How much better can I expect to do with a break cue?

I also break from the center of the table, off the rail. Does breaking from the head spot, or close by it, offer any advantages over breaking from the rail location?