PDA

View Full Version : IS THERE A POOL HALL IN MANHATTAN?

michael103150
08-21-2006, 01:13 AM
After moving to Manhattan about 7 years ago I found Midtown Billiards at 34th St/9th Ave which was near my home in Hells Kitchen. Shot there several times until I got real sick, but after some 4 years and 3 operations, I'm well enough to play again. Unfortunately, Midtown Billiards closed and I'll be damned if I can find another "pool hall". I know there are billiard bars and clubs with 1 or 2 crappy non-reg tables but isn't there a good old fashioned pool hall with 20 or 30 tables left in Manhattan.

trokinine
08-21-2006, 01:48 AM
http://amsterdambilliardclub.com/

Scott Lee
08-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Try Broadway Billiards...downstairs, off the street, and only about 10 tables, but all 9', and definitely a pool hall.

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
08-21-2006, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...but isn't there a good old fashioned pool hall with 20 or 30 tables left in Manhattan.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there sure is. Try SoHo Billiards on Houston Street between Mott and Mulberry. It's a real poolroom, clean and well run, with no frills. It's located around the corner from the Bleeker St. Station on the 6 Train.

Cool place.

Fran

catscradle
08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
...but isn't there a good old fashioned pool hall with 20 or 30 tables left in Manhattan.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there sure is. Try SoHo Billiards on Houston Street between Mott and Mulberry. It's a real poolroom, clean and well run, with no frills. It's located around the corner from the Bleeker St. Station on the 6 Train.

Cool place.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Whew, what a relief. If Manhatten didn't have a "real" pool room I would have had to assume it was a matter of time before one couldn't be found anywhere. I am somewhat surprised, however, that there weren't more mentioned in the responses. Is there really only something like 3 rooms there? I could probably find 3 in Boston and that is nowhere near the size of NYC.

Fran Crimi
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Sure, there are several in the 4 other boroughs of NYC (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island), but Manhattan is tough because of the rent. $50K/month rent in Manhattan is nothing for a 5,000 sq ft retail space. That's a lot of pressure.

The older places in Manhattan lasted as long as they did because they had long leases, but the 20 yr leases from the 80's have run out and the landlords are only too happy to bring the rent up to date.

Fran

Rich R.
08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>The older places in Manhattan lasted as long as they did because they had long leases, but the 20 yr leases from the 80's have run out and the landlords are only too happy to bring the rent up to date.<hr /></blockquote>
It's too bad there isn't rent control for pool rooms. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dutchboy
08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Soho billiards? The biggest dump I've been in since the days of Corner...slate splitting, pockets broken and falling off, bathroom filthy, cloth torn, stained...man, you're better off rolling balls on the street...yeah, he's a nice guy who runs it...but cheap!!!!!!

michael103150
08-31-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all your replies. Since my first post on 8/21 I learned that another "pool hall" had recently closed, Corner Billiards in the West Village. I guess that rents are too high south of 125th St for a traditional pool hall to survive. Looks like "Billiard Bars" selling drinks at $5 to $10 a pop will soon be the only places left to shoot pool on the island of Manhattan.
Life goes on however and since my new cue was delivered yesterday I will spend this weekend checking out Soho and Broadway Billiards and a place on 50th St/12 Ave. If the tables are decent and the toilets flush I'll be satisfied.
Thanks again for your help,
michael103150

Fran Crimi
08-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi Michael. Corner Billiards closing was a unique situation. The owners of the pool room actually owned the building, and when the property values started to rise in the area, the owners decided it would make more sense for them to shut themselves down and collect higher rent.

The Amsterdam Billiard Club happened to be looking for a new location for their place at the same time, so rumor has it that after renovations, the old Corner Billiards site will be the site of the new Amsterdam Billiard Club.

Fran

michael103150
09-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Hi Fran,
Thanks for your responses. I finally got to Soho Billiards and found it suited my needs for a traditional pool hall just fine. I believe someone left a post that complained about the conditions of the tables and rest rooms but in my two visits both tables I shot on were decent, with true rolls, cushions and pockets. While it's decor and ambiance may leave something to be desired, that was never a concern of mine. At $7 per hr/1st person, $3 per hr/each additional person, I would have no problem recommending Soho Billiards.
By the way, if your hungry afterwards, Katz's Deli is about 8 short blocks east up Houston Street, pool and pastrami, not a bad combination.
Thanks again,
Michael

Fran Crimi
09-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Glad you like it Michael. Thanks for the recommendation on Katz's Deli. I'm there!

Here's one for you---As I'm sure you know...Little Italy is just 4 blocks south, across Houston. Walk along Mulberry to Grand. Check out Florio's restaurant on Grand, directly across from Ferrarra's pastries. It's not the cheapest in the area but certainly not the most expensive, and the food is great!

And don't forget the San Genaro's festival is coming soon.

Fran

Keith Talent
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote michael103150:</font><hr> I guess that rents are too high south of 125th St for a traditional pool hall to survive. Looks like "Billiard Bars" selling drinks at $5 to $10 a pop will soon be the only places left to shoot pool on the island of Manhattan.
Life goes on however and since my new cue was delivered yesterday I will spend this weekend checking out Soho and Broadway Billiards and a place on 50th St/12 Ave. <hr /></blockquote>

Glad you've found at least one place to play. Just watch out at SoHo, a few of the tables are real lemons!

And don't know if you've been looking over on 50th St. yet, but unless something new has sprung up there, the place you're thinking about was at 11th Ave. and it's been gone for several years, taken over by Kenneth Cole, I think. I used to live on the block when I came back to NYC in 1997 and looked in there a few times, but I wasn't really playing at the time. It was gone a couple of years later.

Btw, Bway Billiards is a mere $4/hr during the week and $5 on the weekends. But beware when you're aproached to play ... nobody's lower than a solid B, it seems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Except me, that is.

nAz
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>
Btw, Bway Billiards is a mere $4/hr during the week and $5 on the weekends. But beware when you're aproached to play ... nobody's lower than a solid B, it seems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Except me, that is. <hr /></blockquote>

you can always get a game there especially 1 hole... lots of low lives there, probably why i like the place /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wonder if the new new Amsterdam will offer power play like the old east side did, it was a great deal.

Keith Talent
09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
If you like the 1-hole there, you've gotta give me 10-6, naz! I tried a little and Spanish ---- just could not miss a bank. You can always get a game, but like Jude once said ... it's like a bathroom mugging. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't remember seeing any 14.1 money games, though.