PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first table

Justin
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm sure you guys answer these questions all the time, but I'm shopping around for my first pool table. I would really appreciate any feedback that you could give. I am somewhat limited economically because I am buying my first house also (What good is a new house without a pool table?) but I realize the ultimate importance of buying a good table. All I know right know is that slate is a must. I have found a brand-new 8' Westwood table for $1,285, including delivery and set-up. It is supposedly two-piece slate, although everything I have seen about Westwood tables mentions three-piece slate.
Once again, anything you can tell me will help immensely.

Pizza Bob
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
All right gang, I'll take this one...
It seems to be the general concensus here, and my personal opinion also, that you are better off looking for a used commercial grade table, rather than a new furniture grade, imported or otherwise table. This becomes a bit more problematic if you are looking for an 8-footer rather than a nine, but not impossible. Check with local pool rooms, table mechanics and those in the "pool-know" for leads in your area. Good luck in your quest.

Carry on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

bsmutz
08-22-2006, 11:08 AM
PB is right. The inexpensive new tables are not constructed nearly as well as the ones he is referring to and will not be worth much in a few years. If you do decide to get a new inexpensive one, at least upgrade the cloth to Simonis 860 or Tournament Champion and upgrade the rail rubber also. These are the two main areas where inexpensive tables start to affect play the most. The third is sagging slate. Whatever you get, make sure that the slate is supported in both directions (across and lengthwise). Another nagging problem is installation. Most installers don't do a good job. Especially those associated with setting up inexpensive new tables as part of their business selling inexpensive tables. You are usually better off finding someone that does installations for a living and is concerned about customer satisfaction. Search the archives here and on AZ Billiards for information about installing tables as well as recommendations on which tables are worth buying. Do your homework ahead of time and you will have a much better experience. Don't do like I did and jump into it only to later find out what I should have done. Spend some time going to pool halls and tournaments in your area. Ask around about people who own their own tables and see who they recommend as well as the people the pool halls use.

berlowmj
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I have heard that tables made in the U.S. before 1978 are best. Is this true?

Justin
08-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Much appreciated.