PDA

View Full Version : Table Height

Bassn7
08-23-2006, 10:00 AM
From floor to the playing surface, what is the standard? Does it change based on table type or game? Billiards, snooker, 9-ball 9 foot table, bar table?

SPetty
08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh, yea, an easy one...

From the BCA equipment specs:

1. Purpose
The purpose of these specifications shall be to set standards for equipment used at all WPA World Championships, WPA World Tour events and other WPA sanctioned and/or recognized events. These specifications do not necessarily apply to tables manufactured for commercial home use. At its sole discretion, the World Pool-Billiard Association can sanction tournaments on tables not in compliance with these specifications.

2. Table Bed Height
Shall be between 29 inches [74.295 cm] and 31 inches [78.74 cm].

Fran Crimi
08-23-2006, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Table Bed Height
<hr /></blockquote>

I never could understand that spec. I've yet to see anyone ever check the height specs of a table. In many pool rooms, I've noticed that the tables usually are on the lowest end of the specs, if not lower. I find that two inches can be the difference between getting a back ache and not getting a back ache, but I guess that depends on how tall the person is. For me, the lower end means back ache.

Someone the other day told me that they think it depends on how tall the table installer is, and how much of a pool player he is. Unfortunately, I think that may be true. A true pool player can appreciate the pain of playing several hours in a row on a low table.

Are pool players subjected to the ignorance of some table installers?

Fran

Bassn7
08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I agree Fran. A very weak spec. Odd, a game that determines winners and losers by millimeters, uses equipment with a more than 2 inch variance. I guess it's so people can build tables however they feel like doing it. Bad work ethics.

Alfie
08-23-2006, 10:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Odd, a game that determines winners and losers by millimeters, uses equipment with a more than 2 inch variance. I guess it's so people can build tables however they feel like doing it. <hr /></blockquote> I would prefer snooker specs. Floor to top of cushion
rail from 33.5" to 34.5", about 2" higher.

dave
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
If those specs originated with the BCA, it might be interesting to note that its emphasis has always been as manufacturer and retailer organization rather than a player's organization.

cushioncrawler
08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Odd, a game that determines winners and losers by millimeters, uses equipment with a more than 2 inch variance. I guess it's so people can build tables however they feel like doing it. <hr /></blockquote> I would prefer snooker specs. Floor to top of cushion
rail from 33.5" to 34.5", about 2" higher. <hr /></blockquote>

In the 1800'z the 12' table height was ok for midgets uzing an upright stance -- unfortunately the ht was never raised to suite the modern homo-erectii, nor for the modern chin-on-cue stance -- tall playerz look like giraffes drinking -- our forumz allready mention that the 12' table iz too low.

So, i reckon, aim higher than 2" higher.

bsmutz
08-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow, I would pay good money to see a midget that could play on a 12' high table. I would think you would need to be built more like the giraffes you mention...

cushioncrawler
08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Wow, I would pay good money to see a midget that could play on a 12' high table. I would think you would need to be built more like the giraffes you mention... <hr /></blockquote>

Good one. Me myself, i am a short-ar$e (5'-9" -- short legs), but nonetheless i allways had trouble touching my toes, even when a kid, and even little ol me has to uze a giraffe stance otherwize something hurts (12' table).

Peall was the No1 player when The Spot-Stroke was allowed -- record break 3304 in 1891 -- and he was i think 5'-0" high -- the highish table (for him) gave him an advantage i reckon, compared to all of the 5'-6" giants that he had to compete with. Peall was a lead-foot -- in 1901 he was fined 40 shillings for exceeding 12mph.

I have never hit a shot on a pool table (9') -- actually, i reckon that i play reasonably ok uzing an upright stance -- so mightbe i would'nt mind the lowish ht.

pooldaddy9
08-26-2006, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Oh, yea, an easy one...

From the BCA equipment specs:

1. Purpose
The purpose of these specifications shall be to set standards for equipment used at all WPA World Championships, WPA World Tour events and other WPA sanctioned and/or recognized events. These specifications do not necessarily apply to tables manufactured for commercial home use. At its sole discretion, the World Pool-Billiard Association can sanction tournaments on tables not in compliance with these specifications.

2. Table Bed Height
<hr /></blockquote>

Never thought about table height. Mine is 30"