PDA

View Full Version : Half-ball hit bank lines boundaries?

phil in sofla
07-13-2002, 06:40 PM
I've read somewhere in the past that if you are looking at a length of the table bank, with the object ball on or quite near the rail on the opposite side of the table, often a half ball hit will make that bank.

I think this is supposed to work if the object ball is between the 1st and 2nd diamonds. It's a sweet shot when the OB is in the right area, and quite easy to make.

My problem is with the double kiss as the OB comes off the rail, and I actually have better luck if I'm back-cutting/banking, across the ball (to that half-ball hit line), using inside English.

Can anyone summarize where/when this shot is on, or provide a reference to some discussion of this?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-13-2002, 08:47 PM
If I am understanding your setup.. you might get the OB closer to the side pocket than the corner.

With the OB near (less than a ball's distance from the rail) it is difficult to get the natural angle without a kiss...

Now if you spin the cue ball and try a reverse bank (into the cornter pocket closest to the cue ball.. just a little outside and allow for squirt and masse.. its a pretty shot for one pocket players...

07-14-2002, 09:04 PM
lets say the object is frozen to rail
banking the long way start at center diamond, the ball will bank 2 diamonds to the pocket
banking the width of the table, start at the first diamond on long rail will bank 1 diamond to pocket

when object ball is off rail i wouldnt necessary use the half ball hit theory...

Eric.
07-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Hi Phil,

There are many banking systems, one I use is very effective. It is a form of "parallel lines" and in some cases, when it lines up perfectly, is the "dead bank shot" you're looking for. I'll try to explain it:

on a long rail bank(works for short rail banks too) from the cueball position, the correct OB banking point is always half of the CB position. From the left corner, if you draw a line from 2 diamonds on the foot rail to one diamond from the left on the head rail, it is a "dead bank". From the 3rd diamond from the left, the banking point is between diamond 1 and diamond 2 on the head rail. For in between shots, use the line closest to your angle and make a "parallel line/track" that mirrors that known banking point. Whenever you go up in foot rail diamonds, you need to adjust you angle a smidge to compensate.
I'm sure this sounds like Chinese, as I'm not a very good teacher/explainer but you can PM me with questions.
START(
%Aq8I7%Fk7M7%IG8T9%PE8O0%Wn9J5%XF9O1%YG4D8%Zp3I5%[r3L5%\I4T5
%]F0E0%^s0L0
)END

Eric >just your average ball banger

phil in sofla
07-15-2002, 03:29 PM
I mainly use the parallel lines/half the distance in between method you describe to get my contact point for banks myself, so your explanation worked fine for me, since I know exactly what you mean.

My question is, I suppose, how and when you can short circuit finding that line, and already know it is a half ball hit line, on the theory that sometimes that is the same contact point you'd derive in this standardized method you and I use, AND when this line works even if the parallelling method would have you hitting elsewhere (as when you're holding it up with a strong hit and inside English, hitting that line).

Eric.
07-15-2002, 03:51 PM
There really isn't a shortcut, unless the hit becomes Rote. If the paralleling method puts the contact point somewhere other than where you think it should be, go with the Parallel line point. I find the toughest banks are the ones that aren't close to a near by parallel track or if you are making a reverse bank(due to imparted english). Also, as you know, not all hits are halfball. OB banking points will be different with english. This method is no silver bullet, but in my experience, it's the best in long rail bank situations. Obviously, putting some time in to perfect the system never hurts.

phil in sofla
07-15-2002, 04:26 PM
No, there IS a short cut for some subgroup of banks, which is this half ball hit line. I know I have it in one of my books (Bobbie Billings'?), and when that shot is on, it is automatic. I'm just trying them in practice to figure it out by trial and error in non-critical situations, but it doesn't come up enough on its own for me to get the range down for when it works. Gotta find the reference, or spend a half hour systematically doing this to thoroughly explore the range.

Eric.
07-15-2002, 04:35 PM
The only time I feel comfortable assuming the shot will go automatically is when it is exactly on one of the banking lines (per previous post WEI diagram) otherwise I will take the time to measure the bank. If you find something that works better, please let me know.

Eric >like Dumbo, all ears...