PDA

View Full Version : The 25 Most Important Questions in the History of

SnakebyteXX
08-24-2006, 07:04 AM
The 25 Most Important Questions in the History of the Universe.

"#24. Why are Grape-Nuts® Neither Grapes Nor Nuts?

Post Company founder Charles W. Post might have been good at creating popular cereals, but he wasn’t the best at naming them.

One of his first breakfast treats, Post Toasties, was originally known by the more, er, zealous name, Elijah’s Manna.

And then there’s the misleading Grape-Nuts®, which Charles named after a key ingredient in the cereal called maltose, which tasted like nuts and, at the time, was known as "grape sugar." Hence, Grape-Nuts.

It may sound like false advertising, but it’s not. Post would likely be protected from such allegations by that precious little hyphen. The Federal Trade Commission might consider a cereal called Grape Nuts "deceitful," but that hyphen makes the name "fanciful," which excludes it from prosecution according to the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act."

web page (http://www.neatorama.com/2006/07/24/the-25-most-important-questions-in-the-history-of-the-universe)

Gayle in MD
08-24-2006, 08:01 AM
LOL, and so far, I haven't found any free toes in a bag of snacks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No sun, in a bag of Sun chips!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
08-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Neat site, thanks

eg8r
08-25-2006, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It may sound like false advertising, but it’s not. Post would likely be protected from such allegations by that precious little hyphen. <hr /></blockquote> Quoting Gayle, "Those facist Corporate pigs!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My friends think I am crazy but I love this type of "trivia". Thanks for the link.

eg8r