PDA

View Full Version : Finding a perfect match

MissQ
08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi there! I'm trying to figure out what criteria I should consider in seeking out a regular instructor. Does anyone have any insight as to what makes a good coach-student dynamic? What should I watch out for? Does anyone have any experiences they've learned from that they're willing to share? Basically, I'm a beginner on a budget and I want to get the most for my money. Thanks!

mfinkelstein3
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Where are you located?

mantis
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I would ask the same question for someone living just south of Chicago.

randyg
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
There's a lot of good Instructors around. Like Mark asked, where do you live. We can help narrow down your selections.....SPF=randyg

pooltchr
09-15-2006, 05:14 AM
I posted some suggestions for students trying to find a good instructor on the thread "Fran Crimi". You may want to check it out.
Steve

Qtec
09-15-2006, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any insight as to what makes a good coach-student dynamic? <hr /></blockquote>

Thats a much better question and deserves a thread all on its own.

A good instructor will be recommened by pool players and former pupils. Ask around.
OTOH, a certified instructor is guaranteed to tell you the right things and at the very least /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif will not screw up your game foreever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It sounds like a joke but I gave lessons to a 14 year old kid with a lot of talent who had been recieving lessons [ for a year ! ]from G-d knows who and he didn't know s6it! Everything he thought that was correct was TOTALLY wrong !He had the whole concept/principal of the game [ snooker ] a$$ backwards. I was livid. That 'cowboy'did a lot of damage to a kid that could have been really good.

Beware of the poolhall teachers who know everything but can't run 3 balls.

Qtec

wolfdancer
09-15-2006, 09:22 AM
The book I am reading, has an extraordinary chapter on the role of a sports instructor. I tried to sum it up with just a few lines from that chapter, but in fact, the whole chapter should be read.
Discussing this with one of your graduate students, one who's interested in becoming an instructor....it seems you have a similar teaching philosophy.
I have my own theory about teaching, that goes like this:
once the teacher stops being a student, he/she cannot advance as a teacher. As a golf pro once told me....he learned something from each student.

wolfdancer
09-15-2006, 09:29 AM
the perfect match would be you as a student with ample disposable income, and me as your instructor....who needs some of the above. Unfortunately I can't teach what I don't know, but there are plenty out there trying to do that

web page (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/mediaplayer.asp?ean=737463631228&amp;z=y)

DickLeonard
09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
MissQ have you tried EHarmony you have to bond with your Instrucor first.####