PDA

View Full Version : 2nd NY Firefighter Burn Center Charity

CarolNYC
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone,
Hope all is well-I havent had time to post in quite awhile-I apologize-I am currently committed to care for my grandson who just turned 1 yr. old-my daughter is living with me and now works for Continental at Newark,so thats a good thing!Free flying for me,woo-hoo-
The charity event is tomorrow-the 26th at 1pm-at House of Billiards-308 Front Street-Staten Island-the players who are coming are:
Tony Robles,Danny Basavich,Dawn&Allen Hopkins,Kim White,Candi Rego,Jennifer Baretta and Karen Corr-
I'd like to thank the following people for their donations:
Viking,Victor Stein at Blatt Billiards,Markus at Eurowest,Mcdermott ,Fury (Kelly Fisher-I owe you bigtime girl) they all donated cues to me-Jeanette Lee for her cueballs,books,posters,etc.,Linda Paulz of rt9 for her complete autographed paintings,the Staten Island Hotel for donating the rooms for my players and I have a list of~125 businesses who have donated money or food (and we havent even started),the tentman for all the tents,and a big thanks to Budweiser for sponsoring this event for me-they made some awesome banners-Wendy&Naz,for all your support and just for being yous:)
Sorry so late,but,I really have been busy-so.if anyone can come,by all means come!Let the fun begin /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care everyone!
Carol~needs a vacation /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif:):):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BLACKHEART
08-25-2006, 01:18 PM
GOOD LUCK, CAROL. Really nice seeing you at Peoria...JER

DSAPOLIS
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I wish you the best of luck with this event - and hopefully I will get to see you in Albuquerque this year!

PS: You are still my favorite pool player (and slot machine bandit)!!!

CarolNYC
08-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Dave,
Thank you so much-it was nice seeing you in Florida,even though it was a short time-
And yes, you will see me in Albuquerque /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif-I can't wait to check out the Sandia hotel-supposed to be nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
[ QUOTE ]
You are still my favorite pool player <hr /></blockquote>
DITTO!
See you soon!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Jer,
It was great seeing you&amp;Connie-you guys looked awesome-Im so happy for you both-
Hows that junior cuemaker doing? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I have to shoot out to the airport now to pick up a player,so,after tomorrow,if Im alive,ha ha ha ha-I'll check back and tell you how it went-thanks so much for the luck!
Talk to you soon!
Carol

dg-in-centralpa
08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Carol,
Good luck! Please let us know the outcome of the event. Since you now have free flying, how about coming to the US Open? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Duane - check your pm

CarolNYC
08-27-2006, 05:17 AM
Hi Duane,
We did good-raised $10,096.00 for charity-had a great time and THIS time it was a controlled unchaotic atmosphere /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
All the players had fun,Danny "kid Delicious" Basavich won the team plaques-it was great!
After my grandson turns 2 and starts daycare,maybe I'll check out the Open,until then, I hope you all have fun!
Tell Mary I said hi and I'll talk to you later!
Stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Great job! Your grandson can be our mascot...we could dress him up as a 9 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DG

SPetty
08-28-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1156684887209190.xml&amp;coll=1

Billiards event helps raise funds for Burn Center
Firefighters Foundation benefits from second-annual gathering of pool players
Sunday, August 27, 2006
By GLENN NYBACK
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER
They share a love of billiards and yesterday, more than 100 people got together at the House of Billiards, Stapleton, to share another passion -- that of raising money for a cause that helps save lives.

The second-annual charity event raised funds through raffle ticket sales, sponsorships and donations to benefit the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation. A total of $10,096 was raised, according to event coordinator Carol Clark.

"Everyone who's here is here on their own time, 100 percent charity," beamed Firefighter Bill Carlson of Ladder Co. 4 in Manhattan, one of the foundation's five directors. "People can take events that are fun and do good with them. It's great."

The foundation, started in 1975, funds programs and equipment at the burn center. In addition to treating burn victims, the center conducts research on the altered physiological mechanisms that follow severe burns, and covers cell physiology, wound healing, respiration, immunology, metabolism and psychobiology.

Once a year, the foundation also sponsors a children's camp for victims with burn injuries, Carlson said.

"It's just really unbelievable how much people donated," said Ms. Clark, a resident of Huguenot who tours as a member of the Women's Professional Billiards Association (WPBA). "They're doing this from their heart. It's a pretty wonderful thing."

Even before the doors opened, more than $6,000 had been raised through donations and more than 50 businesses sponsoring the event, Ms. Clark said. (A final tally was unavailable last night).

Aside from Ms. Clark, several other professional billiards players attended the event, including Karen Corr, a billiards player ranked second in the world; Kim White, president of the WPBA; and six-time world champion Allen Hopkins.

"It's not all about being a player," Ms. Corr, of Northern Ireland, said about the importance of her attending the fund-raiser in between participating in tournaments.

"It's a good way for all the pool players to pull together. It's a great cause. [Firefighters] risk their lives every day for you."

Participants cherished the opportunity to play pool with pros on their teams, have lunch together and share a few laughs.

"I love to play pool, so anything involved with pool, I come to," said Henry Dragula of Travis. "It's a wonderful cause. Anything that I'm involved in that raises money for a charity, I'll do it seven days a week."

Joe Kelderhouse and his son Cody came from Brick, N.J., to participate in the six-hour event.

"It's the least we can do for them [the FDNY]," Joe Kelderhouse said. "It's a lot of fun for the kids to come play with their idols. And for the adults, too."

Glenn Nyback is a news reporter for the Advance. He may be reached at nyback@siadvance.com.

dg-in-centralpa
08-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Great article.

DG

CarolNYC
08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Spetty,
How are you?
THANK YOU for posting this-thats awesome-there was also 2 ~6x6 photos, one of Allen shooting and one of Karen&amp;Dawn!

I have a few pictures and once I get them downloaded from the cd, I'll try to post them!

And Wendy, if your reading this,you missed it-I had a surprise for you-FDNY has a hunk calendar-well, Mr. January was ready and waiting-wait till you see his picture,mmmm,mmmmmm,mmmm!

We also stopped on the Gowanus, jumped out and took a picture of the -"Leaving Brooklyn-Fuhgedaboudit" sign,ha ha ha!

John_Madden
08-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Carol,
I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile. What you have done is fantastic. These people risk their lives everyday for us. We have a lot of benefits (its pancake breakfasts, ice cream socials, raffles for 1/2 a beef and custom pool cues! etc) for our firefighters here too ---- its all volunteer. We raise money for the "jaws of life" and newer fire engines. You know I have a special connection to Staten Island so would have loved to have been there. Keep up the good work - its so special.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

9 Ball Girl
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>And Wendy, if your reading this,you missed it-I had a surprise for you-FDNY has a hunk calendar-well, Mr. January was ready and waiting-wait till you see his picture,mmmm,mmmmmm,mmmm!<hr /></blockquote>damn, Damn, DAMN! Sorry I couldn't make it (and I was sooooo looking forward to meeting my future firefighter husband). I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE to be there for the next one. Maybe I can help out? Will it be sooner than next summer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CarolNYC
08-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey John
How are you?
You &amp; your wife are two of the nicest people I've ever met!
What YOU do is awesome-wish I could be there /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just want to clarify one thing-this isnt FOR firefighters, its a foundation that was started and RUN by firefighters of NY-it helps ,of course them if they get burnt but mainly the survivors and others who have been seriously burned,especially children-some of them have been abused by being burnt beyond recognition and thats what that burn camp is about-they let those kid be kids rather than their days of being stared at and eyed by ignorant people ,ya know /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
So, our money will let those kids be kids-/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But thank you John-I appreciate it!
Hope to see you soon!

Carol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DickLeonard
08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Carol welcome to GrandParenthood isn't it great. I raised my two granddaughters[babysitting them] their parents credit me for their turning out so good. We had a great time going to museums[Clark in Williamstown our favorite]. Saratoga Race Track four days a week, where else could you go on a picnic for two dollars. The cost of admission ,free parking and picnic table.

One Question where is Ronnie Blatt?

9 Ball Girl
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>We also stopped on the Gowanus, jumped out and took a picture of the -"Leaving Brooklyn-Fuhgedaboudit" sign,ha ha ha! <hr /></blockquote>Courtesy of Ms. Clark:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p32fe4e921227fe611f4e2456f22bcfb6/ed3edeaf.jpg

9 Ball Girl
08-29-2006, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>And Wendy, if your reading this,you missed it-I had a surprise for you-FDNY has a hunk calendar-well, Mr. January was ready and waiting-wait till you see his picture,mmmm,mmmmmm,mmmm!<hr /></blockquote>Now that I'm able to see through the drool on my monitor, here is Carol's surprise to me, Mr. January. Though for me he is Mr. January thru December, 30 days, 31 days, leap year, eclipses, etc... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pb0a7f403c038c8bbfed3e1b1a23eb40e/ed3ed911.jpg

Yum-Ooooohhhhhhh

Barbara
08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey Toots!!

Sorry that I didn't get to help you out but check this out - it was the "Annual Aunty Barbara Against Her Two So Totally Competitive Brothers" day and my one older brother decided to bribe my nieces and nephews to root against me. I prevailed, nonetheless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later on, we had a big BBQ and the principal children of the family reunion had a blast entertaining the newer members with MAD Magazine spoof lyrics from the past 40 years.

It was a goooooood time....

Barbara~~~made killer blueberry pies...

CarolNYC
08-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Well,Aunty Barbara,ha ha ha
You were the only one missing,ha ha ha-the whole Superbilliard crew was with us-
Come next year-thats all-hey,good times with family is awesome-Im for that!
Oh, and I LOVE blueberry pie /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Toots /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
08-30-2006, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raised my two granddaughters <hr /></blockquote>
God Bless you,Dick-thats wonderful-
I dont know where Ron Blatt is-I only met him once,but I'll inquire for you when I speak to Victor,okay?

You stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-30-2006, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Though for me he is Mr. January thru December <hr /></blockquote>
Ha HA HA-I thought you might like this one-he's similar to you-know-who /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
This guy was so shy-I made him lift his shirt-too funny-
Dont worry,girl,we'll have to check out 2007 calendar-place your order-I'll take care of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks for posting this Wendy-I can't seem to do it!
Carol~forgot to wrap the gift for Wendy /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
08-30-2006, 04:01 AM
OMG-this was so funny-Kim wanted to see Manhatten-real quick-we go thru Battery tunnel,stop at WTC,jump out,jump in,go to Ladder 4,park my car,walk up to Carmines for lunch,go to middle of Times square,back to firehouse,she puts on all the gear,slides down pole,cooks in kitchen,I was cracking up ,we leave the firehouse,stop at the Intrepid,then we shoot back to SI,I tell her theres a sign .shes like,"No way" voila,here comes the sign and I tell Jim "pullover"we jump out with cars whizzing by just to take this picture-I couldnt stop laughing-then lastly to the ferry ride and that was our day!
We had fun-I was sad when Kim left but we'll always have these good memories /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks again Wendy!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifCarol

9 Ball Girl
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
[b]Some more pics:

Allen Hopkins and some Junior Players

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pf4b56497d0e56cffd8278d1b811d9bec/ed3aa9ac.jpg

Carol's daughter and Tony Robles

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pb8cdedfc7b9669ced249b67bb7d98052/ed3aa998.jpg

Carol's Grandson

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pd4276fb156c562314aa73a86a725813a/ed3aa990.jpg

Karen Corr vs Carol's Bro (in the background)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p7a350e359785b6c67a87f501b66bff9f/ed3aa983.jpg

Kianna (another one of Carol's daughters) and Jennifer Barretta

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p266814198fe2628cdef3ecc89a207967/ed3aa971.jpg

Kim White and Tony Robles

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p06c5ca68dbb826b9c8eb590ac81f1dbb/ed3aa963.jpg

Tony and Carol's fire fighting brother

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p625d1d960410ae1c81d91ff30246a1ed/ed3aa958.jpg

CarolNYC
08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
I received a phonecall the other day,so,add another $1000.00 to that 10 grand-woo-hoo!
Thanks Wendy for posting the pics-they came out great!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
08-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Carol Wendy is my favorite half couple.For some reason Naz won't cement the relationship.####

9 Ball Girl
08-31-2006, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Carol Wendy is my favorite half couple.For some reason Naz won't cement the relationship.#### <hr /></blockquote>That's because I don't let him pull into my driveway and pour it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
09-01-2006, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't let him pull into my driveway and pour it <hr /></blockquote>

Naz drives a car? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif