PDA

View Full Version : Help on break. 9 and 8ball...

Mookie08
08-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Hello Everyone I am writing this post because recently I have begun playing in a couple of tourney a week and also joined an APA 8ball team. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers on the break shot. I hit the ball extremely hard and controlthe cuball with decent consistency however making balls seems to be a real strugggle no matter where I break from. I am a 7 in the APA which I guess means I am an above average player. unfortunately this problem is well above my feeble brain to figure out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate.

Thank You
Mookie08 /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="yellow"> </font color>

Wolven
08-26-2006, 07:26 AM
We play 8-ball on 9 by 4.5 tables. I used to have the worst time sinking on the break. The worst breaks seemed to actually pocket more balls than the nicely spread out racks. I used to hit front ball at slight angle, then tried off the side hitting the 2nd-ball many players have great results with that.

The balls finally started to go in for me on a straight hit on the front ball. The grip is very very light far in the back just over one hand length from the bumper. I put the cue in place so it will hit the front ball and then just concentrate on the spot on the QB. I love when the QB jumps up straight in the air after contact. I put the QB in the middle about half way between the line and the rail, using the rail and the standard rail bridge. My follow through is now a little shorter than it used to be but the shot is more of a snap, wrist and all. Don't forget to grab the stick at the end or it will........:)

Anyone else with some ideas?

ABQ_Poolhead
08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Mookie, sounds kind of obvious, but are you checking the racks to make sure they are tight? I had a problem with that in my match last night, and it made a big difference when I had my opponent re-rack.
ABQ

Fran Crimi
08-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Besides making sure the rack is tight, you MUST exaggerate your follow-through. Even if you think you are following through enough, push through even more. Watch Strickland's follow-through. The cue literally comes out of his bridge hand and is extended all the way down the table. It's difficult to master that letting-go technique with accuracy but with lots of practice, it will pay off in spades.

The other option is to leave the cue in your bridge hand but with an over-extended follow-through, if you lean into the break shot, you will definitely bend the shaft and possibly crack or break it like some other players do.

I prefer the letting-go technique.

Fran

dr_dave
08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
FYI,

Lots of advice and resources can be found via the links under "break" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Happy reading,
Dr. Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mookie08:</font><hr> Hello Everyone I am writing this post because recently I have begun playing in a couple of tourney a week and also joined an APA 8ball team. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers on the break shot. I hit the ball extremely hard and controlthe cuball with decent consistency however making balls seems to be a real strugggle no matter where I break from. I am a 7 in the APA which I guess means I am an above average player. unfortunately this problem is well above my feeble brain to figure out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate.

Thank You
Mookie08 /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="yellow"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Jim Walker
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
A couple of years ago I purchased a Sardo Tight Rack. When it arrived in the mail I immediately set up the table and started taking statistics on the break. With the Sardo Tight Rack in use I made at least one ball on every break (9 ball) 80% of the time with no prior practice / experience with that machine. In my opinion the bottom line is you need a good rack to pocket balls on the break. I've also noticed the more I win at tournaments, the less balls I make on the break as the match goes on. (Opponent racks)
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif