PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Detectors

Chopstick
08-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Hey, engineer guys. I want to buy a handheld lightning detector to carry out on the golf course. I see some for $600 and some for $60. What's the difference in them? How can I tell if it's a good one? I don't want to wind up lying in a crater on the fairway wishing I had spent more money. Likewise I do not want to be lying in said crater with a $600 unit melted in my hand thinking what a rip off.

Deeman3
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Hey, engineer guys. I want to buy a handheld lightning detector to carry out on the golf course. I see some for $600 and some for $60. What's the difference in them? How can I tell if it's a good one? I don't want to wind up lying in a crater on the fairway wishing I had spent more money. Likewise I do not want to be lying in said crater with a $600 unit melted in my hand thinking what a rip off. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Chopstick,

Come on. Your a real man's man. Get a hard hat. line the outside with aluminum foil, string a copper wire to a kite and wait. It will let you know at the precise moment that lightning strikes. It might impede your backswing a bit. $600! BullS**t. This one cost about $3.98.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeeMan
Smartasses are always in demand....maybe not....</font color>

wolfdancer
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Get yourself graphite clubs, and soft spikes....only play with people that use metal shafts, and reg spikes......don't get too close to them....what are you doing playing in a lightning storm anyway?
Here's a tip.....if you hear thunder in the distance....that mean's it's close enough to consider running back to the clubhouse.
If people ask you to play during a thunderstorm...tell them to go fly a kite....

Drop1
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
The difference is one of them works. I don't know which one.Isn't playing golf in a lightning storm,sort of like eating a hotdog in a public toilet.

DickLeonard
08-29-2006, 06:05 AM
Wolfdancer I had a friend got struck by lightning as he put a can of beer to his mouth. His two drinking partners one on each side escaped with nothing but getting the sh''t scared out of them. That was 50 years ago before aluminum cans came into vogue.####

Chopstick
08-30-2006, 10:33 AM
In central Florida, lightning is a serious health hazard. In the summer, storms form quickly and are very violent. You can start a round without a cloud in the sky and get far out into the course when a storm has you running for cover.

Almost all courses have lightning detectors in the club house. They hve sirens around the course to signal they are closing the course. The thing is, they are making a financial decision when they close the course. I think they cut it too close sometimes.

Another thing that weird about lightning down here is that it can come out of nowhere. No clouds, no storms anywhere and boom. I don't understand how that works. I am aware that lightning can strike horizontally 20 miles. On flat ground, the horizon is 25 miles in diameter. You could still see a cloud somewhere. I have seen lightning come out of a perfect cloudless blue sky.