PDA

View Full Version : BCA semifinals

Kato
07-14-2002, 01:25 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen of the chalkboard. I watched and taped todays semi-final matchups and I thought the equipment looked ridiculously EASY!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm not under the impression that I could beat any of those 4 players on my best day but jeez, Mitch Lawerence said Corey "center cut" that 9 ball bank in the 4th game that he hit 2" inside the top diamond. Come on. Half those shots don't go in on my home table (fairly loose) and definitely don't go in on the tables I play in at my home room. I was drunk off my butt just watching it on tape a few minutes ago and it didn't get any better.

Kato

Chris Cass
07-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi Kato,

Don't you now it's illegal to us a weapon while intoxicated? Rule 4546465536 United Airlines

C.C.~~could you even see the diamonds? hahahah

Q-guy
07-14-2002, 08:05 AM
It can be a little deceptive. If you have ever played on those tournaments with new cloth and polished balls. Even with tight pockets, balls will go in. That is just how it is. I am sure you have experienced it at your own poolroom.

07-14-2002, 09:40 AM
I also watched the back to back episodes of the women's and men's BCA semifinals yesterday on ESPN, and have the following observations to offer:

First, I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Sigel's commentary. I've heard Mike before on Accu-Stat tapes, and I find his opinions very honest, refreshing, and of course extremely knowledgeable. He has very high expectations of the pros and how they should play - and is not afraid to tell us when they screw up.

The biggest difference between these two women and the men players is certainly not the shotmaking or the positioning. I actually thought Karen and Allison both exhibited superior positioning more consistently than the men. Corey and Tony both continually left themselves much harder shots than they had to (even late in the racks), which led to harder shots and eventual misses.

The biggest difference IMO was very clearly the break. The women broke easily, often making a ball, but leaving most of the balls on the foot of the table. The men broke harder but still very controlled - making 2 or often even 3 balls - leaving a much easier runout if they had a shot on the opening ball.

The men (especially Tony) love to load up with english on many shots for positioning, as where the women (both former snooker players) play more centerball whenever possible. Yeah, Tony could (and did) get away with it on that new cloth (creating very forgiving pockets), but IMO might have some trouble with that style on tight pockets / worn cloth. I'd be interested to see how he would adjust his game on different table conditions - and I'm sure he could successfully.

Lastly, I want to THANK Corey for missing that final 9-Ball shot - and the valuable lesson that it taught my young son Drayton - who tends to be very hard on himself. We watched the final few games of the tape together. I knew the miss was coming and told Drayton to watch carefully. He said there's no way Corey doesn't get out from there, and was absolutely confounded when he missed that 9-ball shot that cost him the chance to go hill-hill in such a big tourney on national TV.

It just proves that any shot can be missed by any player at any time - and that the pros are human just like us! Drayton's comment was that if he did that on national TV, he'd quit the game for life. My response was that that shot will result in making Corey a more determined, better, stronger player - and far less likely to ever take any easy run-out in a crucial situation for granted again!

Certainly two totally different ways of handling one's dissappointment. Now I have to pull for Corey to win a huge tourney real soon (like the World Championships or U.S. Open) - in order to prove my point!! - Chris in NC

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr>
Certainly two totally different ways of handling one's dissappointment. Now I have to pull for Corey to win a huge tourney real soon (like the World Championships or U.S. Open) - in order to prove my point!! - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Hi Chris,

Your point has been proven since the beginning of billiards, time and time again. I don't think the pros take very much for granted at all. I think us fans take the cameras, lights, audience, and the tourney pressure way too lightly. IMO Tony was firing at him too. I'd be interested to hear what Corey and Tony had to say.

I too see Corey and Tony walking away with victories still to come. Please give my regards to the Dragon. Now he knows what it takes to win, 100% focus and humility when things don't work out the way we'd like.

Regards,

C.C.