PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Harris (R) Florida

SnakebyteXX
08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Why do you want to be United States Senator for Florida?</font color>

Iíve served in the State Senate, Iíve served statewide as Secretary of State and now Iím serving in Congress.

<font color="blue"> What role do you think people of faith should play in politics and government?</font color>

The Bible says we are to be salt and light. And salt and light means not just in the church and not just as a teacher or as a pastor or a banker or a lawyer, but in government and we have to have elected officials in government and we have to have the faithful in government and over time, that lie we have been told, the separation of church and state, people have internalized, thinking that they needed to avoid politics and that is so wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers. And if we are the ones not actively involved in electing those godly men and women and if people arenít involved in helping godly men in getting elected than weíre going to have a nation of secular laws. Thatís not what our founding fathers intended and thatís certainly isnít what God intended.

So itís really important that members of the church know peopleís stands. Itís really important that they get involved in campaigns. I said Iím going to run a campaign of integrity. Iím not going to run it like all of the campaigns that Iíve seen beforeÖ. And you know, itís hard to find people that are gonna behave that way in a campaign and be honorable that way in a campaign. But thatís why we need the faithful and we need to take back this country. Itís time that the churches get involved. Pastors, from the pulpit, can invite people to speak, not on politics, but of their faith. But they can discern, they can ask those people running for election, in the pulpit, what is your position on gay marriage? What is your position on abortion? That is totally permissible in 5013C organizations. They simply cannot endorse from the pulpit. And thatís why Iíve gone to churches and Iíve spoken in four churches, five churches a day on Sunday and people line up afterwards because itís so important that they know. And if we donít get involved as Christians then how could we possibly take this back?

<font color="blue">Do you support civil rights protections on the basis of sexual preference?</font color>

Civil rights have to do with individual rights and I donít think they apply to the gay issues. I have not supported gay marriage and I do not support any civil rights actions with regard to homosexuality.

<font color="blue">Why should Florida Baptists care about this primary election?</font color>

They should care about this election period. I will tell you that everywhere I go throughout the state and even the nation, people say the pollsters, the politicians and spirituallyóthat Florida is the forerunner state. That what happens in Florida sets the trend for what happens nationally. And with this election, if Bill Nelson wins, itís going to be a very frightening proposition in 2008 in the presidential elections because whoever wins Florida will win the presidency. And heíll be in a position to largely influence. No other candidate can beat Bill Nelson except for me. No one even has a chance because of name identification and fund raising abilities and things like that.

But the real issue is why should Baptists care, why should people care? If you are not electing Christians, tried and true, under public scrutiny and pressure, if youíre not electing Christians then in essence you are going to legislate sin. They can legislate sin. They can say that abortion is alright. They can vote to sustain gay marriage. And that will take western civilization, indeed other nations because people look to our country as one nation as under God and whenever we legislate sin and we say abortion is permissible and we say gay unions are permissible, then average citizens who are not Christians, because they donít know better, we are leading them astray and itís wrong. ... <hr /></blockquote>

Why do you want to be United States Senator for Florida? (http://www.floridabaptistwitness.com/6298.article) <font color="blue">

moblsv
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/28/senate.harris.ap/index.html

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."

The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and gay marriage.

Harris made the comments -- which she clarified Saturday -- in the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention, which interviewed political candidates and asked them about religion and their positions on issues.

Separation of church and state is "a lie we have been told," Harris said in the interview, published Thursday, saying separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers."
Electing non-Christians allows 'legislating sin'

"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris said.

Her comments drew criticism, including some from fellow Republicans, who called them offensive and not representative of the party.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Florida, who is Jewish, told the Orlando Sentinel that she was "disgusted" by the comments.

Harris' campaign released a statement Saturday saying she had been "speaking to a Christian audience, addressing a common misperception that people of faith should not be actively involved in government."

The comments reflected "her deep grounding in Judeo-Christian values," the statement said, adding that Harris had previously supported pro-Israel legislation and legislation recognizing the Holocaust.

Harris' opponents in the GOP primary also gave interviews to the Florida Baptist Witness but made more general statements on their faith.

Harris, 49, faced widespread criticism for her role overseeing the 2000 presidential recount as Florida's secretary of state.

State GOP leaders -- including Gov. Jeb Bush -- don't think she can win against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson in November. Fundraising has lagged, frustrated campaign workers have defected in droves and the issues have been overshadowed by news of her dealings with a corrupt defense contractor who gave her $32,000 in illegal campaign contributions.

Drop1
08-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Right, God picks the Rulers for all the countries in the world,thats makes voting a waste of time. She is pathetic.

Qtec
08-28-2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/wizardofzwitchmelt1.JPG http://mandatemedia.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/katherine_harris.jpg

Is it just me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q

moblsv
08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Right, God picks the Rulers for all the countries in the world,thats makes voting a waste of time. She is pathetic. <hr /></blockquote>

Romans 13

1 - Every person must obey the rulers over him. Every ruler has his power from God. And the rulers are put there by God.

2 - So anyone who fights against the ruler, fights against what God put there. And those who fight will be punished.

3 - The rulers do not bring fear to a good man, but they bring fear to a bad man. If you do not want to be afraid of a ruler, do what is good and he will praise you.

4 - Such a person is God's servant and will do what is good for you. But if you do what is wrong, you should fear him. He has great power and he will use it. He is God's servant and will punish those who do wrong.

5 - So you must obey, not only because of the punishment, but because you know it is right.

6 - That is why you also pay taxes. The rulers serve God and they give all their time to their work.

eg8r
08-29-2006, 05:37 AM
The Bible definitely tells you to obey those in authority over you. To not speak out against them even if you are 100% right (I have faulted in this area many times). The Bible was quite explicit when it spoke of a person in high authority that spoke out against Moses. He was taken from the earth.
I cannot remember the exact passages, but it also says, the only time you do not need to follow authority is if you are told to do something that goes against the Bible or what it teaches.

eg8r

DickLeonard
08-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Eg8r In my heart of hearts I believe GWB stole the election in Florida and the Supreme Court seconded it by not ordering a total recount of the Votes. His accepting the Supreme Courts ruling and not demanding the recount of all the votes made him a Partner in the Crime of the Century. So according to my faith and beliefs I owe no allegiance to a Thief even if he is our President because he went against the 6th Commandment thou shall not steal.####

eg8r
08-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Whatever floats your boat.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
I find her repulsive. I find Ann Coulter, repulsive. I find politicians who use God, and/or Religion, to get elected, repulsive. Her statements about Separation Of Church and State, are false. She's out anyway. I say, good riddens!

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
08-29-2006, 07:45 AM
So whats the point of elections,if its all pre determined? Do you think Hitler was Gods Will? There never should have been war crime trials,other than God as a defendent. The Bible is not my Book of choice,as refrence to prove a point.

Chopstick
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/wizardofzwitchmelt1.JPG http://mandatemedia.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/katherine_harris.jpg

Is it just me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q <hr /></blockquote>

Now that is funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hondo
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
E.G. Thou shalt not kill?????
Thou shalt not covet????
Thou shalt not abuse the English language???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> The Bible definitely tells you to obey those in authority over you. To not speak out against them even if you are 100% right (I have faulted in this area many times). The Bible was quite explicit when it spoke of a person in high authority that spoke out against Moses. He was taken from the earth.
I cannot remember the exact passages, but it also says, the only time you do not need to follow authority is if you are told to do something that goes against the Bible or what it teaches.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, it's my book of choice but it's dangerous to
take passages out of context and you make some
excellent points.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> So whats the point of elections,if its all pre determined? Do you think Hitler was Gods Will? There never should have been war crime trials,other than God as a defendent. The Bible is not my Book of choice,as refrence to prove a point. <hr /></blockquote>

DickLeonard
08-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Eg8r that is what is wrong with quoting the Bible and soon as I interpreted the stealing of the Presidency and gave the commandment it goes against you say whatever floats my boat. That is where GWB got the nickname Commander in Thief.####