PDA

View Full Version : For Gayle and Q

dg-in-centralpa
08-29-2006, 04:11 AM
I quit reading Gayles' and Q's posts because they say the same thing over and over. All both of you do is post something from a news source. Don't you have any thoughts of your own? I haven't seen any threads from either of you in months that haven't been political. Why can't there be some humor in a day or as Gayle says, How can we have jokes when people are dying overseas. People are dying here in car accidents, murders, etc. Does that mean that all jokes are forbidden? Q, what's your beef with the US? I seem to remember that you are from Holland. Why do you even care what goes on in this country? I'm sure if I spend enough time, I could start finding things about your country that aren't the best either. How about if I start posting that?
GW is not the best. Everyone knows that. I will not try to second guess anyone in his position unless I have been there or am willing to take his job. I may not like what he does, but we still have him for a year and a half. At that point, I hope whoever gets in does a better job. If not, I hope you both do the same amount of ranting and raving. From what I've seen, others here are just as tired of your posts as I am. The board is not fun anymore. Personally I think that everyone is migrating away because the board has gotten so political. Why don't we take a vote? Those who like your posts and those who don't. If thoses who do win, you keep on posting as you were. If those who don't, win, then all political stops. Agreed?

Duane

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Duane,

All I look for is the truth, and as it may put some of our friendship(s) at risk, I believe Gayle and Q on their passion AND their relayed facts. Asking for a vote on such a hot and volatile topic as "Who's for reading whos posts", imo, is defensive in itself. I personally quit reading many posters on these politicical times. Wouldn't it have been simpler for you to make that same choice without this divisional poll? I think so...sid

dg-in-centralpa
08-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Sid,
I have stopped reading the political posts. I think they are bringing down the board. There is very little fun stuff anymore. So far two people have mentioned that they are tired of this as well.
I,too, look for truth but I don't rely on news organizations to tell me what's what. We all know they are biased to one side or the other. Neither are credible. The poll is simply to let them know others are tired as well.

Duane

Gayle in MD
08-29-2006, 07:11 AM
First of all, I didn't say how can we have jokes when people are dying. I'm simply pointing out to you that while you may find relief from the strees of your job, through jokes, others, such as myself, who are very involved and interested in what is happening to our country, and around the world, have other priorities, and ways of dealing. What makes you think that you are more important than anyone else?

The fact that most Americans don't take an interest in what happens in this country, and in our foreign affairs, is a big part of the problem, IMO. I think it says a lot about who you are, that you find it so inconvenient to see political posts on an internet forum, which you don't have to read, BTW, and would take such an immature, narcississtic approach to stopping them, as calling for a vote! LMAO!

Yes, I post book recommendations, and news articles, and my opinions. Didn't anyone ever tell you, opinions are like ********, and everyone else's stinks. I read the opinions of a range of experts, on many things. It's called education. Ever heard of it?

I have, BTW, a joke post right on this page, BTW, not even a political one, LOL.

This is the worldwide web, in case you didn't know it, and an open forum, with its own set of rules. You don't get to vote. You don't get to dictate, and you don't get to barr others from other countries, and/or persuasions, from writing their opinions. You have a hell of a lot of nerve, IMO, and obviously, an adult, who still hasn't learned his place in the world.

Deal with your own issues, don't try to make your issues, my issues. You seem to be doing the ranting and raving, about something which is far less important, all thing considered, than the things that interest me.

Secondly, it would never occur to me to try to stack people up against one another in some kind of poll, or to endeavor to control what is written on an internet forum.

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
08-29-2006, 07:34 AM
OK, I vote that Duane goes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifLets be real fascists and get rid of all posts about sports. We can call this "the my way or highway forum." WTF does free expression mean to you? "La La La freedom just another way of having nothing to say,that will keep the forum happy, and the thinking people away,me me me and and Mr. dg. Please hold down the applause.

wolfdancer
08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
I think it was a little unfair to single out Gayle and Q for expressing their political views here. I can think of another poster that includes personal attacks,insults,etc with their commentary. I just choose not to read those posts...why spoil a good day? Gayle is just passionate about her politics, and while Q may be a citizen of a another country, I respected his right to comment as well since our foreign policy affects other nations.
But you are about to have your wish....Gayle is considering
quitting the CCB.
And now that I have found out the Bible says it is wrong to question anyone in authority........

Deeman3
08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Duane,

Although I agree with most of your post. I believe it is fruitless to try to get most of this copy and post mentality off the NPR forum. The left has decided a strategy, that of critique everything we say or do. This leaves very little room for an exchange of ideas. I have tried to avoid most of the clip and zip posts lately and will try to be more vigilant in the future. If you express any faith in anything, they will smear you with some far right expression of Neo-Christian, no matter what you say your beliefs are. It has just become too frustrating to try to have sane dialog with people who only want to express their hatred with others, be they Christian, Republican or Conservative Democrat. You will have your intellegence questioned if you don't agree with them. Therefore open debate is not their target, shouting so loud they drown out opposting ideas clearly is.....

You can have them....and if I have offended someone on the forum by joining in a little too often, I am working on it....

DeeMan
Getting ready to watch GWB and Ann Coulter at the National Baby Killing Contest next weekend. ???????????

wolfdancer
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
DG, I think I'll quit as well, in support of Gayle.

eg8r
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that most Americans don't take an interest in what happens in this country, and in our foreign affairs, is a big part of the problem, IMO. <hr /></blockquote> You might want to take a little class in determining root cause. Start with the 5 why's (they are easy to understand). Your fact is not a big part of the problem, it is just the result of the "real" problem.

eg8r

eg8r
08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Quitters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r

Fran Crimi
08-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Duane,

Boy do I hear ya! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I read about 20 - 30 percent of the political stuff and every so-often I jump in with a comment. It's frustrating as all hell and I've felt my face go red on several occasions. That's why I cut down on the reading.

But truth is that BD owns the website and only BD can forcibly control what is and isn't posted here. I'd be really happy too with a more sociable non-pool side. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be realistic without BD's intervention. So, let's all move to the pool side and talk pool and leave the politicos here to do their thing!

Fran ~~~ Works for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnakebyteXX
08-29-2006, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I quit reading Gayles' and Q's posts because they say the same thing over and over. All both of you do is post something from a news source. Don't you have any thoughts of your own?

<font color="blue">I respectfully agree/disagree with you here. I agree that they (as well as I, and several others here) tend to copy/paste many items from news sources. However, I have also seen both of these posters add their commentary to those posts. As to being '...the same thing over and over again...'? It's true that both of these posters tend to have a consistent theme but that theme comes in lots of colors and shades.</font color>

I haven't seen any threads from either of you in months that haven't been political.

<font color="blue">Not true. Gayle recently posted a joke and Q posted about the JonBennet Ramsey case. Furthermore, Q recently addressed a post regarding his feelings about drug addiction and Gayle has expressed hers as well. There are several other examples but I'm too lazy to search them out right now. </font color>

Why can't there be some humor in a day or as Gayle says, How can we have jokes when people are dying overseas. People are dying here in car accidents, murders, etc. Does that mean that all jokes are forbidden?

<font color="blue">I don't get that all jokes are forbidden. In fact I've enjoyed several of the ones that you've posted and look forword to more in the future. In my opinion, humor is a good thing and the world needs more of it. </font color>

Q, what's your beef with the US? I seem to remember that you are from Holland. Why do you even care what goes on in this country? I'm sure if I spend enough time, I could start finding things about your country that aren't the best either. How about if I start posting that?

<font color="blue">Q does seem to find many things about the US that are not to his liking - but then so does the rest of the world. We Americans can be pretty insular and it's not such a bad thing to get the opinion of an outsider once in a while even if they're often attacking the political powers that be.

We also know that in spite of what he might have to say about our country it's still near the top of the rung of nations to which foreigners want to migrate. Must be something about where we live that's still pretty attractive to the rest of the world? </font color>

GW is not the best. Everyone knows that.

<font color="blue">'...not the best...'? You get the understatement of the day award for that one. </font color>

I will not try to second guess anyone in his position unless I have been there or am willing to take his job. I may not like what he does, but we still have him for a year and a half.

<font color="blue">Yes, and we '...still have him...' because he was re-elected. You may not be willing to '...take his job...' but there sure were a lot of people who were willing to give him the job. The decision by many well meaning Americans to vote for him (perhaps yours too?) has led us to this current state of affairs. I personally do not believe that he was the right guy for the job and as time goes by it would seem that more and more Americans are beginning to agree. </font color>

At that point, I hope whoever gets in does a better job. If not, I hope you both do the same amount of ranting and raving.

<font color="blue">Me too. As I have expressed in this forum it's too bad that our two party system seems to offer us only the 'lesser of two evils' when it comes to election time. It sure would be great if either or both party's offered us strong, capable, leaders to pick between instead of the pap we've seen lately. The truth is that we will continue to 'get' what we're willing to vote for. Underneath everything it's through individuals like Gayle and others here (yes, and Q too) who stridently criticize high level incompetance and will NOT be quieted whose voices may eventually be heard. Until we all demand quality leadership we may not see the changes we need in this country come to fruition. </font color>

From what I've seen, others here are just as tired of your posts as I am. The board is not fun anymore. Personally I think that everyone is migrating away because the board has gotten so political.

<font color="blue">'Everyone' is a pretty broad assumption but I think you have a point. The forum seems to be shrinking and now appears to have far fewer posters than it once had. I say 'appears' because I only started following it prior to the first GW victory and at that time there seemed to be many more posters than there are now. Oddly enough, those 'many more posters' were avidly discussing (you guessed it!) POLITICS at that time. Go figure.

If we want more participation in this forum we may need to start advertising its existance on the CCB side of things. Many CCB posters may not even know this place exists. Just a thought.</font color>

Why don't we take a vote? Those who like your posts and those who don't. If thoses who do win, you keep on posting as you were. If those who don't, win, then all political stops. Agreed?

<font color="blue">Bad idea. I for one like everyone's posts here (including those with religious beliefs and political positions that disagree with mine). The basis for a good discussion comes from disagreement - political - philosophical - cultural - whatever. Take away the provocative nature of some of the postings that appear here and you may risk being bored to death by platitudes.

Duane,

When Bush won the election (the first time) I was very surprised. I decided that I must be out of touch with what people in this country were feeling and I set a goal for myself to learn more about what, why, and how political conservatives believed. This forum has been one of the places that I've gotten educated. Without naming names I must say that it's been good to hear what others on this board with fundamentally opposing views to my own, have had to say about their political and philosophical beliefs. I respect them for their beliefs. The last thing that I would want to do or see done is for ANY one of them (including you) to be censored here. But then, I guess that's one of the reasons that we call this a democracy, and charish freedom of speech as much as we do.

Just my dos centavos and worth as much as you paid to read them.

Snake </font color>

hondo
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> DG, I think I'll quit as well, in support of Gayle. <hr /></blockquote>

Me too. I'm out of here.

Deeman3
08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> DG, I think I'll quit as well, in support of Gayle. <hr /></blockquote>

Me too. I'm out of here. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> We are off like a herd of turtles....</font color>

DeeMan

pooltchr
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
This thread is getting a bit insane. Q, Gayle, and everyone else has every right to post their opinions here. (even though we know they are usually wrong! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

If someone chooses to either post here, or not, it's certainly their right. It's also the right of others to point out alternative viewpoints.

I've had some pretty intense bouts with some posters here, but it's just discussion. I dare say that I could sit down to dinner with Gayle and probably have a very good conversation, as long as politics, business, and Wal-Mart were off limits!

The point of a discussion forum is to exchange views. If everyone on here agreed with my viewpoints, I probably would have bailed out a long time ago.

Steve

Drop1
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Would the last person leaving the Forum turn out the lights.I quit,not for Gayle xoxo,or for Q,a person that taught me a few things,but for what a forum should be,a place where a person like Wolfdancer can express in his syle his ideas. Now that we are gone the rest of you can continue preaching to the Chior. Gayle,you really are good,and I will miss you. Adios

Barbara
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Well I just got a little personal pm slam from Gayle about MY OPINION on this board. What a hoot! Just because I say that I really don't have any interest in meeting up with the more political posters on this board makes me a bad person??? WTF??!!

I am a Tour Coordinator and a Pool Player. I have learned NOTHING on this board about pool from Gayle, eg8r, Qtec, and pooltchr in the past 2 YEARS! You all flood this site with slanted views and just arguments. I couldn't care less about what you post about anymore, really.

Really Gayle, thanks for slamming me! Please do not read my posts in the future. They will not interest you in the least.

Duane, thank you, but you will not be successful in "taking this board back". They have established their base and personas.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
BTTK...It isn't like Gayle to act that way, whatever it was she said, so IMO this vendetta of "take a vote against Gayle" plus possibly some real life issues of hers, which I'm not honestly privy to myself, put her out of character. Bottomline is that with the absolute serious consequenses which has been created by Bush and crew(I honestly believe that in my heart), plus her seeing the soles in Walter Reid in person, she's hit her limit. This is a serious world of sh!t we have in front of us, both dems and rep are seemingly selling us to Mexico and big oil, with little hope of a recovery. Iraq was a mistake, and everything else this admin has done ranks as piss-poor at best. Jm2c...sid

Gayle in MD
08-29-2006, 09:43 PM
You're right, Martin, I wouldn't do that. Now that I've been completely misrepresented I will post exactly what I wrote to Barbara in a PM, which she has been less than honest about. Here's is what I wrote...

Thanks for the slam, Barbara. To say we've met, is a stretch, don't you think. I walked up to your table in Valley Forge, introduced myself, and left. We've never had a face to face conversation, that I know of. I know we had a misunderstanding, which was really my confusion, mixed up memory about something, for which I apologized, but I hadn't realized that you had made value judgements about who I am, over that.

I often quote Thomas Jefferson..."I've never considered a difference of opinion in politics, religion, or philosophy as cause for withdrawing from a friend." and that is my own philosophy. I am amazed, that grown adult people, are so quick to judge others, whom they do not even know.

All the best to you and yours, Barbara. While I am much more than my political opinions, I am thankful, that I don't judge a whole person, according to so little personal knowledge of them, nor would I want to.

Gayle in Md.

I only wish you could read what Barbara wrote back to me, but I since our correspondence was supposed to be personal, I won't post what she said.

Take care Martin. I'm fine, BTW....

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM
LOL, thanks Drop, I've always enjoyed your posts too. Gee, I just went back and looked over all the politically flavored posts, originated, by none other than, Deeman, Steve, Snake, Wolf, Fran, Hondo, Moblsv, Ed, Naz, Wendy, I cold go on and on, it seems, many of us here have an interest in politics, and what is happening in the world. It's a bit confusing that I'm ( and Q) being blamed for all the political posts, ha ha ha, could it be, some folks, for all their education, and class, and worldliness, in fact, simply can't abide opposing opinions? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kind of a shame, don't you think, at a time when our country is so desparately in need of on going dialog on the issues, these kiddies are angry, they don't want us spoiling their little tea party here, with too much serious, political stuff....amazing!

Love,
Gayle in Md.

I'll send you my e-mail address, Drop... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Just a minute, Barbara, you were the one doing the slamming, not me. The post is there, on the other side, for all to see. Frankly, I was shocked to read such a post coming from you, in particular, but there has obviously been a lot of behind the scenes complaining between some of you broad minded Republican Dictators on here. This side of the board is not about pool! It is about whatever people care to write about. And just for the record, I have never learned a GD thing from your posts about pool, either, just a lot of pool related political sucking up on your part, to people who you think can do you some good. So don't come down on me. I'm not some pool groupie, so I don't really give a good damn what you think of me or my posts. I've never found your posts particularly interesting, either, but I didn't find it necessary to make an issue of it.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

DebraLiStarr
08-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Gayle

This whole thing reminds me of when I worked this company about 8 years ago. There were 5 accountants in our office - a clerical staff and a few others. We had a cafeteria downstairs - it was convenient and I used to eat lunch there every day with some of my co-workers. Everyday at lunch this one guy would come to our table and gripe about how everything was wrong in the world and how work sucked. Listening to that got old real quick. We changed tables and he just followed us. Eventually we just started going to lunch elsewhere to avoid him altogether. He was left in teh cafeteria with only those people that were willing to hear him gripe and moan, mostly other moaners and gripers.

I have had disagreements with you and Barbara at different times about different things. One thing I can say from experience is that Barbara speaks from her heart, means what she says and makes no excuses for it. I think she is probably a very nice person, and I regret not having introduced myself to her when we were in the same venue a few months back. You, OTOH are quite different because you either ignore people or you berate them when you don't agree with them or if they don't agree with you. You can be very nasty when people confront you about things and then you rely upon others to "back you up" or to agree with you so you can hi-5 each other. In the end - this is just the internet, and who really gives a Grindinger what anybody thinks?

I get a lot of heat for my directness, and I also get a lot of heat about my interaction with Fast Larry - but I own my own bull$hit.

This board used to be a lot of fun. Its not anymore. Look around. People have left. They arent coming back. Azbilliards went so far as to make rules regarding political discussions because they see what it has done to the popularity of this forum and they dont want to go there. You and others may not want to own your part in that, but that is the truth, no matter what you or anybody says. If the regulars that want to bash me for saying what I just said, go ahead - knock yourself out - I've come to expect it (and enjoy it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )- at least its a change of pace from the GWB crap and maybe that will kick start this forum again.

cueball1950
08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
why can't we all be friends. there is way to much fighting going on in this world right now. To many people hating each other over nothing.........but to argue over something as trivial as posting on a forum your opinions is wrong. i don't read all the political stuff posted on here because i read the paper every day and watch the news a couple of times a day. and that is enough for me. to many sad things going on. And it is not going to get better no matter who gets in the white house next..................mike

Qtec
08-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Tap Tap Tap. Excellent post Snake. you put it better than I ever could. Thanks.

Q

Qtec
08-30-2006, 04:00 AM
Good post Steve.

Q

Qtec
08-30-2006, 04:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>

I am a Tour Coordinator and a Pool Player. I have learned NOTHING on this board about pool from Gayle, eg8r, Qtec, and pooltchr in the past 2 YEARS! <font color="blue"> What do you want to know? If you want pool knowledge you are on the wrong side of the board. The last good discussions on there was one of Hal,s threads and Fred's thread about pivoting and BHE. How long ago was that?</font color> You all flood this site with slanted views and just arguments. <font color="blue"> Just by calling my views slanted it automatically means your view is slanted! Unless you can prove it of course. [In any case, I,m sure it would involve a lot of cutting and pasting! to do so] </font color> I couldn't care less about what you post about anymore, really. <font color="blue"> Did anyone ever ask you to care?
Why don't you do what the other adults on the forum do. Read the posts you find interesting and ignore the rest. Whats the big deal? </font color>

Duane, thank you, but you will not be successful in "taking this board back". They have established their base and personas. <font color="blue"> LOL. I didn't know I had a base! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif-nevermind a persona. </font color>

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Qtec
08-30-2006, 04:26 AM
The difference is that I dont come to your table! To hear me YOU have to come willingly to my table to hear me, ie read the thread. Nobody is forcing anything on anyone.

Q

Stretch
08-30-2006, 05:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Good post Steve.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't like to see anyone leave. But the fact is. polatics is divideing people and polorizeing the board. i know longer feel comfortable posting my views in an "us against them" environment. it just leaves me a target, so i don't. The pool side is still ok and i get a few words in when the "experts" deem it's not worthy of response, but on the whole I've already covered most of it, and most everyone here has heard it all before anyway.

i continue to browse through the topics as a reader, and as a way to stay in touch with friends i've made over the years. But as for actively discussing topics, not much. It just hasn't been the same for a long time now. Maybe we are all just a little jaded?

I still enjoy talking to new posters though. Those brave enough to venture into troubled waters that is. St. &gt;only here to help, support, share, and enjoy pool&gt; nothing to add beyond that.

Qtec
08-30-2006, 05:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Duane,

Although I agree with most of your post. I believe it is fruitless to try to get most of this copy and post mentality off the NPR forum. <font color="blue"> Did you read my Unknow News thread? I provide links and cut and paste because I want you to see the original sources, so that you can make your own mind up.</font color> The left has decided a strategy, that of critique everything we say or do. <font color="blue"> OMG. Criticism is now a strategy! I thought it was a RIGHT! Sounds like another RNC talking point. </font color> This leaves very little room for an exchange of ideas. I have tried to avoid most of the clip and zip posts lately and will try to be more vigilant in the future. If you express any faith in anything, <font color="blue"> Faith is different than polotics. Faith doesn't require proof- impeachment does. </font color> they will smear you with some far right expression of Neo-Christian, no matter what you say your beliefs are. It has just become too frustrating to try to have sane dialog with people who only want to express their hatred with others, be they Christian, Republican or Conservative Democrat. You will have your intellegence questioned if you don't agree with them. Therefore open debate is not their target, shouting so loud they drown out opposting ideas clearly is..... <font color="blue"> This is obviously a belief, not a fact. </font color>

You can have them....and if I have offended someone on the forum by joining in a little too often, I am working on it....

DeeMan
Getting ready to watch GWB and Ann Coulter at the National Baby Killing Contest next weekend. ??????????? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't hate GW. If you want to hear some real hate and venom, just read a few responses on Bill Clinton from the Right!
The same people who conspired and executed a witch-hunt against an elected POTUS [ BC] are now the ones who cry hate because they have no argument anymore. Rather than admit they got suckered by GW, Rumy, Cheney etc, they close their ears and continue to 'believe 'that that Govt has thier best interests at heart.
[Wonder how the Katrina victims would respond to that question!]

IMO, if its true that GI,s are dying in Iraq unneccessarily in an unneccessary war and GW got permission to go to war by misleading the country, I would want him to be held accountable. Any American who would be willing to overlook this is not a patriot. A patriot's allegiance is to America, not the Pres.

Q

DickLeonard
08-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Deeman come on we have had to listen to Rush Limbaugh etc. for years or NOT, poisoning the minds of America. ####

hondo
08-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Well, Barbara, I hear you, but I doubt if you will
learn much about pool on the NON POOL FORUM.
( or the regular pool forum on here either come
to think of it.)

DickLeonard
08-30-2006, 06:12 AM
DEEman I was going to join Wolfdancer but I had written in my departure post I was as guilty as Gayle. I happen to enjoy debating and stirring the GWB Pot. I was only on number 10 of his crimes and folly and had 9990 more to go.

I had pointed to Debra Li Starr the book "What is wrong with Kansas" and the Herman Goering piece where he explained how to take a country to war. The PEOPLE don't want to make war it is the Leaders of the government who do.
All one has to do is tell the Nation we are going to be attacked and keep stirring the pot. The people will come along and the dissenters just call them unpatriotic and soon their voices are silenced.
I see that happening here and I will stand and write.####

P.S.When I started posting on the original board it was on post number 250. So I would say I am a Charter Member. I have seen members get driven off the Board when it was just Pool and always in my mind have maintained a Most Wanted List of missing posters and welcomee them back by telling them their name has been removed from my list.####

pooltchr
08-30-2006, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> continue to 'believe 'that that Govt has thier best interests at heart.
[Wonder how the Katrina victims would respond to that question!] <hr /></blockquote>

We know how they would respond because they have been taught that the government is supposed to take care of them.

The quote below (long) shows a greater understanding of the roll of government better than anything I have read in a long time. It's from congressman David (Davie) Crockett.

<font color="blue"> One day in the House of Representatives a bill was taken up appropriating money for the benefit of a widow of a distinguished naval officer. Several beautiful speeches had been made in its support. The speaker was just about to put the question when Crockett arose:

"Mr. Speaker--I have as much respect for the memory of the deceased, and as much sympathy for the suffering of the living, if there be, as any man in this House, but we must not permit our respect for the dead or our sympathy for part of the living to lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. I will not go into an argument to prove that Congress has not the power to appropriate this money as an act of charity. Every member on this floor knows it.

We have the right as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to appropriate a dollar of the public money. Some eloquent appeals have been made to us upon the ground that it is a debt due the deceased. Mr. Speaker, the deceased lived long after the close of the war; he was in office to the day of his death, and I ever heard that the government was in arrears to him.

"Every man in this House knows it is not a debt. We cannot without the grossest corruption, appropriate this money as the payment of a debt. We have not the semblance of authority to appropriate it as charity. Mr. Speaker, I have said we have the right to give as much money of our own as we please. I am the poorest man on this floor. I cannot vote for this bill, but I will give one week's pay to the object, and if every member of Congress will do the same, it will amount to more than the bill asks."

He took his seat. Nobody replied. The bill was put upon its passage, and, instead of passing unanimously, as was generally supposed, and as, no doubt, it would, but for that speech, it received but few votes, and, of course, was lost.

</font color>

Deeman3
08-30-2006, 06:33 AM
I think we should just let all this die a natural death.

DeeMan

hondo
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think we should just let all this die a natural death.

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

The thread or this forum? LOL.

Deeman3
08-30-2006, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think we should just let all this die a natural death.

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Maybe both! </font color>

DeeMan

The thread or this forum? LOL. <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
08-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Bravo! Nothing more interesting around here than your posts, Snake. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif