PDA

View Full Version : Two-piece cue that feels like a one-piece?

cjt08046
08-29-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm in the market for my first "real" cue, but several of the ones I've tried (two-piece) don't have that soft yet positive hit/feel of a good one-piece house cue. I have a budget of up to around $220 and I'm looking at McDermotts and Vikings, and was wondering which two-piece cue best captures the feel of hitting with a one-piece (i.e, which are the characteristics, like joint type, tip, etc. that accomplish this?)? Thanks very much.

-CJ

ras314
09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I've kinda wondered if any custom cue makers will work with you on one piece cues.

At any rate my approach was to get a good fitting wood to wood joint (A purist would probably insist on a wood threaded part rather than a metal bolt). I found there were several cues that felt good with light hits, but acted odd when the pressure was increased. Sort of like some of the fiberglass house cues showing up these days.

Another approach is to try a whole bunch of house cues and pay whatever they want for the one that suits you, should be pretty inexpensive. Then have a good ferrule put on and start experimenting with tips. You will probably be disappointed if you have a joint put in it though.

cjt08046
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't consider a house cue because they're hard to cart around, but that's a very good idea for casual playing.
I wound up trying a bunch (about 8) of different cues from McDermott, Viking and Joss (pricey) at a pool hall a couple towns over. Many of them, though nice, still had that "jarring" kind of hit I'd felt with other two-pieces (though less so--they felt good but they just didn't have "it," that feel I was looking for). However, on a whim I tried a 20.5 oz. (I usually like 20's), Viking F87 and was pleasantly surprised with the softness--yet firmness--of the hit, so I went with that one, because it stood out from the others, even the other Vikings.
So far, so good.