PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 How would you play this shot?

qstroker2004
08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi. I haven't posted here in awhile, but here goes. I'm interested to hear what most people would do here, and particularly from those who consider 14.1 their best game.

http://cuetable.com/WeiTable/
START(
%BL7P8%CJ4O4%DL9N1%EN0P2%FK6P1%GK6N8%HN0N7%IL7O4%J K5M3%KJ0P7
%LJ5N2%ML7T5%NH5S0%OJ0L8%PH8X1%QT3Q1%RM2I6
)END

Let's say you got a bad break and are left with the 14. Which option, if either, do would you do?

1)Hit the 14 hard and force follow into the pack (let's say the angle would put you into the 6/2 balls) to open them up again?

or,
2) hit more softly with the idea of sliding off the 2 to point A? You are trying to get some balls like the 4 to position B while using the 13 as a safety ball.

So what I'm really asking is do you like powering through so you have a chance at a more open table, or do you prefer to pick the pack apart in two, three or four bites with more cue ball control?

Thanks,
dwhite

Rod
08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
It depends, force follow into a stack especially if you hit the 6 first is not a bargain. That is you'd be going into the middle of the stack. If I thought I could hit the 2 full I might do that, less balls to move.

Glancing off the 2 slow could spell trouble as well, you may not break anything out, remember the balls are separated and may not move much. Then you get what you get on the 13.

I'd have to see the shot for real not on the wei but I'm thinking it's also possible to make the 14 and use the 13 as a break ball.

So into the 2 full, firm follow or play shape on the 13 is my choice. Without studying the rack up close that's my best answer.

Rod

Rich R.
08-30-2006, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>I'd have to see the shot for real not on the wei but I'm thinking it's also possible to make the 14 and use the 13 as a break ball.

So into the 2 full, firm follow or play shape on the 13 is my choice. Without studying the rack up close that's my best answer. <hr /></blockquote>
Rod, I like your shot the best.

In dwhite's first example, I can just visualize getting stuck in the middle of this rack, without a shot.
In the second example, I think you hit the nail on the head, when you said the balls may not break out, although there may still be a good safety shot available with the 13.
With your shot, I think it is a very good possibility that hitting the 2 ball full will create some very good shots, especially with the 5 ball drifting toward the side pocket, even if you don't get a good break shot with the 13. With the aide of those shots, you may be able to get that break shot down the road.

qstroker2004
08-30-2006, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
So into the 2 full, firm follow or play shape on the 13 is my choice. Without studying the rack up close that's my best answer.<hr /></blockquote>

So if you go into the 2 full where do you expect the cue ball to end up? In other words, are you playing the percentages, or do you know where the cue ball will be after the shot?

Thanks for the reply.
Dan

Scott Lee
08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
The CB should end up near the center of the table, shooting the shot as Rod described it, leaving good position on the 13 for another breakout.

Scott Lee

Rod
08-31-2006, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qstroker2004:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
So into the 2 full, firm follow or play shape on the 13 is my choice. Without studying the rack up close that's my best answer.<hr /></blockquote>

So if you go into the 2 full where do you expect the cue ball to end up? In other words, are you playing the percentages, or do you know where the cue ball will be after the shot?

Thanks for the reply.
Dan <hr /></blockquote>

The cue ball maybe a foot above the rack aapx towards center table. I'd be moving the 2-5-4-8 with the 13 as a back up. At that point the 4 may be in position as another break ball.

You have to shoot these shots to have a better understanding. A lot depends on table conditions, clean balls, humidity etc. What works well under ideal conditions can be a problem in sticky conditions. Set up shots like these, you'll end up with a better understanding of what works and what spells disaster.

Rod

qstroker2004
08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
Set up shots like these, you'll end up with a better understanding of what works and what spells disaster.<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. Actually I've got the "blast through them" thing down pretty well. Lately I've been doing a lot of work on cue ball control going into clusters and have a lot more confidence in nudging my way around racks.

Awhile back I noticed the main thing that ended my runs was not knowing where the cue ball was going. The only time this occurred (more or less) is when I had to go into a cluster. So now I've got a much better bead on exactly where the cb is going. I'm just interested to know what the high ball runners do. Maybe in shots like this the best thing is to take an educated pot luck shot as you've suggested. You don't have anything specific to shoot at next, but you SHOULD get something. I'd prefer to have a run when I never have to shoot that way, but maybe if you leave yourself in a bad situation like this you have no real choice.

dan