PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame?

ukboy
08-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I have just looked at the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame, and i noticed that Walter Lindrum, possibly the greatest billiards player ever is not on it,i also think Joe Davis should be their too.Does anyone know the reason why they are not there.

Bob_Jewett
08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ukboy:</font><hr> I have just looked at the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame, and i noticed that Walter Lindrum, possibly the greatest billiards player ever is not on it,i also think Joe Davis should be their too.Does anyone know the reason why they are not there. <hr /></blockquote>
They almost never played in the US.

To get into the BCA Hall of Fame, they need to be nominated and voted in. I don't know if either of them has been nominated before, but they both certainly belong there.

Fran Crimi
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I believe this type of question has been asked before regarding talented and qualified non-American players, and I believe the answer was that they have to have had at least some reasonable amount of interaction with America, since it is the Billiard Congress of AMERICA.

Fran

DickLeonard
09-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Ukboy I will ask you the same question are Mosconi and Greenleaf recognized in Britain's Hall of Fame.

I always thought that one had to have won two tournaments to be considered for election to our Hall of Fame. I have always been pushing for Onifrio Lauri to be selected for the hall. He was leading the 1971 Worlds Tournament with a record of 15-0 when the earthquake hit California, he lost his next three games and his chance at Immortality. He was age 73 at that time.####

Bob_Jewett
09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I believe this type of question has been asked before regarding talented and qualified non-American players, and I believe the answer was that they have to have had at least some reasonable amount of interaction with America, since it is the Billiard Congress of AMERICA.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
The requirements as stated on the BCA web page are below. There seems to be no explicit reference to US competition, but maybe it's just hard to get a foreigner past the largely US-based voters.

Two categories have been established in BCA's Hall of Fame. The Greatest Player category shall be reserved for outstanding players who have been active in national or international competition for at least 20 years and have won at least one national or international championship. The Meritorious Service category shall be reserved for those who have made lasting, memorable and important contributions to billiards. To date (through 2006) a total of 50 individuals have been inducted; 39 in the player category and 11 meritorious service honorees.

ukboy
09-01-2006, 11:22 AM
I think it is only in America their is a Billiard hall of fame,their is not one in Britain

Fran Crimi
09-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I think it could be clearer, but by 'National', I think they mean U.S. national events and by 'International' they mean those from the U.S. who have won Internationally.

There is no requirement that the player be a U.S. Citizen which is where they do induct international players who have won here in the U.S. as well as abroad, which is why players like Reyes have been inducted and I'm sure Fisher will be soon as well.

I don't think it's so much a bias as it is a philosophy of what the intention was of the HOF in the first place.

Fran