PDA

View Full Version : Fairplay in 9 Ball?

MrMoby
08-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new here and have a question regarding 9 ball play.

Recently, I began playing 9 ball online, which is also my favorite game to play on my home table. During my time playing online, I have encountered several folks that call it unfair to make a winning combination shot after an oponent has fouled. According to the BCA rules, at least how I see it, it is perfectly legal. I have always played this way, and have been on both the winning and losing end, I take it as part of the game.

Is this considered unsportsmanlike, and how would it be handled in a tournement.?

Rich R.
08-31-2006, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrMoby:</font><hr> Hello everyone,

Recently, I began playing 9 ball online, which is also my favorite game to play on my home table. During my time playing online, I have encountered several folks that call it unfair to make a winning combination shot after an oponent has fouled. According to the BCA rules, at least how I see it, it is perfectly legal. I have always played this way, and have been on both the winning and losing end, I take it as part of the game.

Is this considered unsportsmanlike, and how would it be handled in a tournement.? <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry, but I can't help you with online pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In real pool, it is totally acceptable and in line with the rules.

Snapshot9
08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrMoby:</font><hr> Hello everyone,

Is this considered unsportsmanlike, and how would it be handled in a tournement.? <hr /></blockquote>

No, they are 'Whiners'. There thoughts are that the game should be played out (giving them a better chance of getting back to the table). People also try this ploy in a Challenge Table at times.

I have played in a weekly 9 ball tournament here at Cy's, and a woman player I have known, tried the only, 'We don't cheese the 9 when you play a woman routine on me!'. Excuse
me, but I was going to 6 while she only had to go to 2, so I think she already was getting a FAIR GAME. I told her it was legal within the rules, and that I am going to win anyway I can, and potted the combination on the 9.

Don't allow yourself to be subject to the 'Emotional' pleadings like this, if you give in, it never stops. Play strictly by the rules, and then there is no problem.

bsmutz
08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, tell 'em to quit sniveling or talk to someone who cares. If they didn't foul, you wouldn't have gotten an "unfair" advantage. They are being punished for screwing up. If they don't want to be punished, they need to pay more attention to what they are doing. Their whining probably works with some players who don't understand the reason for the rules being the way they are. Make sure you aren't one that lets them get away with it. It only takes a few people to decide this is the way things are supposed to be, and all of a sudden we'll be facing this on the real tables.

Bob_Jewett
08-31-2006, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrMoby:</font><hr> (pocketing the nine early after a foul)
In a tournament, if a player passed up the chance to easily make the nine early, he would be thought a fool. People would laugh at him behind his back or think he was trying to lose the game. Good players practice making the nine ball with ball-in-hand shots.

On the other hand, it's possible that on-line players have a different set of proper manners and have no idea what real nine ball is like.

Billy_Bob
09-01-2006, 08:56 AM
I tell people like this that I did not make the rules, but those *are* the rules! If they are going to play, then they should know the rules.

Here are the rules...

9-ball specific rules...
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_9bl.shtml

General rules...
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

wolfdancer
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
"Sorry, but I can't help you with online pool."

While the Bob Jewetts and Billy Bobs, can answer questions regarding the physical game of pool....take the shaft out of their hands and replace it with a mouse, and they are in over their heads, literally.
Would you expect either of the above to show you the correct sitting position,eye movements, and mouse grip that are required to master online pool? Of course not!!
To deal with "imaginary" pool, where the brain replaces "mechanics....one must go to a higher authority....."The One"
&amp; only PATRICK

From his site:
"Note: Most of the information on this site will appear as "seriously flawed", even to pros and BCA instructors, because they are stupid who compare my knowledge to their primitive books. Keep in mind this website is "highly advanced" stuff with the future in mind; only perfection is acceptable."

web page (http://poollogics.port5.com/)

[ QUOTE ]
Almost everyone of the pros play the wrong way. This guide will show you how the play the correct way so you will improve your cueball control. The only requirement is that you need knowledge of physics and that you play by using logic instead of only experience. <hr /></blockquote>

I believe that I can speak for Patrick here...and state that the true online pool, zen master....would not resort to something as "base" as a ball-in-hand 9 ball combo...not when there are intricate runout patterns to be worked out.
Remember......winning....means only that the game is over, and a new game must begin,or the brain loses it's stimulus.

Bob_Jewett
09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ... "The One" &amp; only PATRICK

From his site:...<hr /></blockquote>

Also from his site:
After only 6 practice sessions I had gone from an amateur to a pro and to Stephen Hendry's level and beyond.

I'll have to admit that there is no BCA-Certified instructor who can compete with this speed of learning. Patrick must be very busy with all the new IPT players lined up at his door.

StormHotRod300
09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a friend who usta play 9ball in small tournaments and most people hated playing against him because he played 3C, alot and could get balls moving around the table to knock the 9ball in alot.
Now some people called this unfair, or whatever, because he had a higher skill level in pool. And could do stuff to make the game easier for him. And yes, i usta bitch about it too, when I was younger. Now I just dont care. Plus we havent matched up in a long time either.
I myself, if the shot is there yes i will take the easy combo to win a game, its part of the game. Now depending on how the table is layed out, if theres only 3,4 or 5 balls left, i will most likely just run out the table.
Now yes in a perfect world nobody would cheese, and everyone would just play the game out to see who would win.