PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Grits

Chopstick
08-31-2006, 05:28 AM
They're not just for breakfast anymore. I just love a good pile of grits in the morning. Funny thing is that the only time I get em is when I go to Vegas. I like to hang by the breakfast buffet and watch the yankees come by and say "What 's that stuff? Cream of wheat?"

I travel to Columbia SC a few times a year and they have a unique way of fixin grits there. They boil em in chicken broth. I never heard of that before. They are the best grits I ever had. All the resturants downtown serve them in some form for dinner. The first time I had them was with a wet blackened swordfish steak and asparagas. That was about the best meal I ever had. The place burned down though. Can't get it anymore. Too bad.

Fran Crimi
08-31-2006, 06:43 AM
The best meal you ever had was blackened swordfish, asparagus and grits? You poor child.

I'm a Yankee but I've been in the South enough times to learn that grits = grease. Isn't grits cooked in bacon fat the most popular? I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at the stuff.

Is the chicken broth fat-free?

Sure it is.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Candyman
08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Fran, You are partially right about clogged vessels. However, plain grits are made with water and a little salt and pepper. Grits are coarsely ground corn. When cooked properly they are very healthy. The unhealthy part of grits is when gravy is poured on top. That is pure grease. My favorite ways to fix grits is to add a couple of teaspoons of jalepeno peppers (chopped peppers in a can). This will get you jump-started in the am. The other way is shrimp and grits with monterey jack cheese and chopped onions.

hondo
08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I love grits in the Carolinas. They just don't
know how to fix em in West Virginia.

hondo
08-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Blackened swordfish, asparagus, & grits? Sounds good
to me!

pooltchr
08-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Fran,
You can't be good all the time!!! Next time you are passing through the Carolinas, give 'em a try. They don't have to have all the grease. A pat of butter (I know, clogged arteries again!) on top is plenty. You'll find them at just about every restaurant around here.
Steve

Chopstick
08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
That's the way I like em. With a pat of butter. I found the grits she was talkin about at grits.com. They are called fried grits. The recipe says they fry them in bacon grease. I never heard of that before.

HiZoot
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I love grits with chicken fried steak, some nice greens, hush puppies, and a big glass of sun brewed iced tea.

A piece of pecan pie for dessert, and I'm in heaven. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scottycoyote
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
you wanna try something delishhhhhhhhhhh...........theres a place called lucky 32 in greensboro, they have deepfried grits in ham gravy thats to die for. Its an upperscale restaurant.....entree and an appetiser, however you want it lol

Qtec
09-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Looks disgusting! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Lokks like porridge oats- also disgusting! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

cushioncrawler
09-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Fat is good -- cholesterol is good -- it iz transfats that kill. The heart disease graph over the years followz the transfats graph -- not the fats or cholesterol graph. Big business makes transfats -- doctors love big business.

DickLeonard
09-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Cushioncrawler I had hurt my back on the job and was being treated by Eccentric Dr. He had this elaborate series of commands he put you thru trying to see if your faking your injury. Then he had me bend over and he pushed down on my head when I screamed he said well your not faking.

This was in November and the DR was a ski buff. I asked him about skiing and he said he loves it and it is so good for business. He said he starts wearing his ski boots in October to strengthen his muscles where most people put on their boots and go skiing and then their his patient.####

cushioncrawler
09-01-2006, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Cushioncrawler I had hurt my back on the job and was being treated by Eccentric Dr. He had this elaborate series of commands he put you thru trying to see if your faking your injury. Then he had me bend over and he pushed down on my head when I screamed he said well your not faking.

This was in November and the DR was a ski buff. I asked him about skiing and he said he loves it and it is so good for business. He said he starts wearing his ski boots in October to strengthen his muscles where most people put on their boots and go skiing and then their his patient.####
<hr /></blockquote>

Better the push on the head than the hot thermometer.

Stretch
09-02-2006, 04:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote scottycoyote:</font><hr> you wanna try something delishhhhhhhhhhh...........theres a place called lucky 32 in greensboro, they have deepfried grits in ham gravy thats to die for. Its an upperscale restaurant.....entree and an appetiser, however you want it lol <hr /></blockquote>

I remember trying out grits last time throught the Carolina's. We stoped to eat at this restaurant cnain called the Crackerbarrel. Well they sucked! Maybe it's just the consistancy of the stuff. I also hate creamed corn. Otherwise i eat like a garberator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

hondo
09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Cracker Barrel is a chain. Maybe that was the problem.
Should have tried a truck stop.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote scottycoyote:</font><hr> you wanna try something delishhhhhhhhhhh...........theres a place called lucky 32 in greensboro, they have deepfried grits in ham gravy thats to die for. Its an upperscale restaurant.....entree and an appetiser, however you want it lol <hr /></blockquote>

I remember trying out grits last time throught the Carolina's. We stoped to eat at this restaurant cnain called the Crackerbarrel. Well they sucked! Maybe it's just the consistancy of the stuff. I also hate creamed corn. Otherwise i eat like a garberator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>

Stretch
09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
hondo, ya i usually do (being a trucker myself), but this place was handy to the Hotel we stayed in and a gas station. I only stop ones. lol

Interesting thing, i like my eggs sunnyside up. The waitress said they couldn't serve them like that, it was against the law, they had to be flipped. Wierd laws down there. Oh well, when in Rome............ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Actually, I like grits. Being Italian, I'm into grains, and corn works for me as well. I particularly like the semolina grain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Grits with jalepeno peppers sound great. With shrimp, cheese and onions, too. Both sound really good.

Fran

hondo
09-06-2006, 05:30 AM
I like my eggs sunnyside up too. A friend told me
he was told at a restaurant in WV that they weren't
allowed to do sunnyside up. I assumed they were
just afraid of breaking the yolk.
Now I wonder? Weird!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> hondo, ya i usually do (being a trucker myself), but this place was handy to the Hotel we stayed in and a gas station. I only stop ones. lol

Interesting thing, i like my eggs sunnyside up. The waitress said they couldn't serve them like that, it was against the law, they had to be flipped. Wierd laws down there. Oh well, when in Rome............ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick
09-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I vaguely remember something about that law. I looked it up and it turns out there is a law. The FDA has guidelines for the cooking of eggs. They say there is a slight chance you can get salmenella from sunny side up eggs.

I never go in those Cracker Barrels. It's just a chain operation. It's supposed to country cooking but it is really bad country cooking. It is really hard to find a place that has good country cooking. There was a couple of places over in Tampa but there is nothing anywhere near Orlando. It's about like trying to find decent barbaque.

Deeman3
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I vaguely remember something about that law. I looked it up and it turns out there is a law. The FDA has guidelines for the cooking of eggs. They say there is a slight chance you can get salmenella from sunny side up eggs.

I never go in those Cracker Barrels. It's just a chain operation. It's supposed to country cooking but it is really bad country cooking. It is really hard to find a place that has good country cooking. There was a couple of places over in Tampa but there is nothing anywhere near Orlando. It's about like trying to find decent barbaque. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> MEMPHIS, you know where it is! I'm going through there next week and will have a real barbeque for you.</font color>

DeeMan

DeeMan

TomBrooklyn
09-19-2006, 05:24 AM
The only time I ever got grits was in the Army. They were good. I liked them with some butter.