PDA

View Full Version : Break/Jump cue What do I need to know B4 I buy?

bluey2king
08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Hello;
I am considering a Break cue.
Should I look at a jump/break cue? I have't tried jumping maybe its time.
I am not looking for a real pretty cue, I would like to buy the right one the first time always less expensive than replacing cue bought on impulse.
How much to get good quality?
What type of joint should I look for?
Weight?
Any options on the handle peices that I should know about?

Thanks for your input

ceebee
08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I like SPECIAL TOOLS for special jobs.

I like a good 2-piece Break Cue (19oz with a semi-flattened tip, 13.5-14mm in dia)

I like a good Jump Cue that is light & about 46 inches long. This has to be made because the ordinary J/B would then be too long.

You can have a Play Cue with 2 shafts, a Break Cue & a Jump cue, if you have a 2/4 Case that has storage the Jump Cue Butt.

Good Luck...

Snapshot9
08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> Hello;
Should I look at a jump/break cue? I have't tried jumping maybe its time.
I am not looking for a real pretty cue, I would like to buy the right one the first time always less expensive than replacing cue bought on impulse.
How much to get good quality?
What type of joint should I look for?
Weight?
Any options on the handle peices that I should know about?

Thanks for your input <hr /></blockquote>

I have researched this in depth in the past. Here is my opinion:

1) The best, IMO, is the X-Breaker, especially with the new version out. Runs from $375-$425. (I intend to get one when I can afford it in the future).
2) I picked up a J&amp;J Break/Jump stick off Ebay, and was amazed at the bang for the buck with this cue. I later
puchased a 2nd shaft for it. I am very pleased with it.
It breaks real good, and I jump with it pretty good.
Made a hell of a jump shot last night with it, about a 60
degree cut into the side pocket with the cue ball on the uptable end rail (in a 10 ball ring game). It drew a few
'Damns' from my opponents ... lol. I have model 2419, with Palmwood forearm. Chrisonline is selling several of these on Azbilliards in the for Sale/wanted section for $60 shipped (normally a $100 cue, but a $225 value in my opinion). It has the phenolic 1/2" ferrule/tip combination, and the tip is 14mm. The original shaft has the white phenolic ferrule, and my extra shaft has the black phenolic ferrule.

Cornerman
08-31-2006, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> Hello;
Should I look at a jump/break cue? I have't tried jumping maybe its time.<hr /></blockquote>

If you can swing the cash, I think you should.

I really love the X-Breaker. I also really like the Stinger.

For the best bang for the buck, I like the FURY Jump/Break cue.

Fred

StormHotRod300
09-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Alot depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a Action or Players JB for under 100$, and if you put on a phenolic tip add another 40$

If you want a nice custom JB, you can spend anything from about 200$ to 500$ and can get anything from a Hightower, Gilbert, Mace, J&amp;J, X-breaker, Predator bk2, Josey, and who ever else makes a JB cue.

A good production JB is the 5280, has a good thick shaft and breaks them very nice, and its fairly easy to jump with, even when it has the layer'd tip on it.