PDA

View Full Version : Hard on break cues?

Stretch
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Just saw the cover of BD showing Hohmann poseing after his break with that poor cue doubled over and bent into the slate. I know his cues are probably given to him so it's no skin off his nose to snap one, but is it really neccesary to abuse your equipment this way? What's it adding to the shot? Lots of players are doing this though. My only question is why. St.

L.S. Dennis
09-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Good question, I guess by coming down like this the emphisis of your total weight coming into the shot comes into play. I know Mike Sigel had many photos taken of him like this.

wolfdancer
09-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Hard on break cues?????
I think maybe they should change the name....and Hohmann is abusing his???

Ronoh
09-02-2006, 10:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Just saw the cover of BD <hr /></blockquote>

Some don't know how to maximize total force to the rack. If you (anyone) can't maintain thought of the end goal, then go home. [look in the mirror when you say that]

In My Humble Opinion, (imho) If you're going to go out and do some practice breaking, as hard as you can, find/borrow a solid/whippy.

Tag, you're it!

Stretch
09-03-2006, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ronoh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Just saw the cover of BD <hr /></blockquote>

Some don't know how to maximize total force to the rack. If you (anyone) can't maintain thought of the end goal, then go home. [look in the mirror when you say that]

In My Humble Opinion, (imho) If you're going to go out and do some practice breaking, as hard as you can, find/borrow a solid/whippy.

Tag, you're it! <hr /></blockquote>

I'm too old to be throwing myself at anything let alone a break shot. lol

KGeeED
09-08-2006, 10:34 AM
I think it is all showmanship. Why do you have to bend the cue? If you look closely at some of those breaks the cue is already as far as it will go with the follow thru. The player then holds the cue down and lifts up his back hand to bend the shaft.

It seems as if it hit the cloth first and then continued to bend on the follow thru it wouldn't it rip the cloth or leave a "divot"?

Cornerman
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KGeeED:</font><hr> I think it is all showmanship. Why do you have to bend the cue? <hr /></blockquote>I think most people would be amazed to see a video of themselves breaking. A significant percentage of players who hold onto the shaft with their bridge hand will drive the tip into the cloth at least for a short period of time, causing a bend in the shaft. Even if they follow through "in the air."

In no way would I think that a breaker that bends his shaft is doing it for showmanship.

Fred

Jal
09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Good question, I guess by coming down like this the emphisis of your total weight coming into the shot comes into play. I know Mike Sigel had many photos taken of him like this. <hr /></blockquote>It could be a question of semantics, but I'm pretty sure nothing can gained by "throwing your weight" into the shot. Virtually none of it gets added to the weight of the cue, The limiting factor is your hand, which just can't produce enough force to communicate any (significant) extra mass to the cueball.

Of course, you can get a little more speed on the stick by lunging forward, but the weight part adds nothing. As I said, probably just semantics.

Jim

ras314
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I always thought it was due to using the cue for support to help from falling into/onto the table from after lunging at the cb. Seems to be rather common.

Ever seen Shannon Daulton break? I have a accu-stats tape of him that is hilarious with him dancing around on one leg to keep from falling down. I've tried breaking like that am apt to miss the whole cb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

nAz
09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>

In no way would I think that a breaker that bends his shaft is doing it for showmanship.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

hey Fred how is it going?

would that apply to a soft breaker?

BLACKHEART
09-10-2006, 06:45 AM
I hope everyone trys it!!! I'm in the repair business &amp; I certainly see a lot of broken Qs, from this type of break. KEEP IT UP BOYS, BABY NEEDS A NEW PAIR O' SHOES...JER