PDA

View Full Version : Ways of hadicapping?

warewulf
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I recently got a pool table. I would like to play with my wife, but she gets frustrated when I beat her 10+ games in a row. I've tried stuff like --

- Even if I make a ball, I only get one shot
- She gets two shots every turn

What are some other ways to handicap? I'm trying not to burn her out.

Harold Acosta
09-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Give her all the breaks, shorten her race to 3 while making your race to 7 or 9. If you are left-handed, player her right-handed, or vice-versa. That way you can practice/learn shooting left and right-handed.

Bob_Jewett
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote warewulf:</font><hr> ... What are some other ways to handicap? <hr /></blockquote>
If you're playing eight ball, you have to make your balls in numerical order. Or you have to bank your odd balls. Or you have to bank your last ball and the eight ball. The last one is nice because she will normally have a lot of balls to shoot at when you are down to one ball.

Rich R.
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Whether you belong or not, you can try assigning skill levels and using the APA handicap systems.
http://www.poolplayers.com/equalizer.html

The 9-ball system is a point system and doesn't require your wife to make the 9-ball to win. She just has to pocket a certain number of balls, based on her assigned skill level, before you pocket a higher number of balls, based on your skill level.
You can also get the necessary score sheets.
http://www.poolplayers.com/materials.html

I have to add, my wife, who is not really a player, likes the APA 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

warewulf
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm going to try the left handed idea and her playing regular 8 ball while I play 8 ball in numerical order. Hopefully that will level things out.

I'll also checkout that handicapping. Though she doesn't like 9 ball much because even if she gets a shot on the 9, i'm not going to leave her a good one. Then she'll set me up and get pissed off... She's kind of a sore loser too which doesn't help.

I need to find some people in my area to play with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich R.
09-06-2006, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote warewulf:</font><hr> I'll also checkout that handicapping. Though she doesn't like 9 ball much because even if she gets a shot on the 9, i'm not going to leave her a good one. <hr /></blockquote>
This is exactly why I recommend the APA handicapping for 9 ball. It doesn't matter who makes the 9 ball. It is all a points system. Each ball is worth 1 point and the 9 ball is worth 2 points.
Depending on what skill levels you assign to each other, you may have to make 50 points, while she will only have to make 20 or less points.

This handicapping system is the only way my wife will play against me and she has a good chance of winning.

If you know anyone who plays APA 9-ball, they may be able to explain it better than I.

StormHotRod300
09-07-2006, 08:56 PM
those are good ideas, I know several guys who are top players who practice with thier wife or gf's.

And they play no slop, they get one shot, to thier 2, and hafta bank the 8ball. And generally the the guy hasta win something like 9games to the gf's 2 or 3.

Basically you need to make it almost impossible for you to win, and easy as hell for your wifey to win. I have two semi - newbies on my APA8ball team and when i practice with them, i coach them on every shot, so they have a chance. YOu can do that also with your wifey.

warewulf
09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote StormHotRod300:</font><hr> those are good ideas, I know several guys who are top players who practice with thier wife or gf's.

And they play no slop, they get one shot, to thier 2, and hafta bank the 8ball. And generally the the guy hasta win something like 9games to the gf's 2 or 3.

Basically you need to make it almost impossible for you to win, and easy as hell for your wifey to win. I have two semi - newbies on my APA8ball team and when i practice with them, i coach them on every shot, so they have a chance. YOu can do that also with your wifey. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I'll keep trying. Trouble is that she wont take any coaching. I'm self taught and am not the best teacher anyway, but if I tell her where to hit a ball and how hard etc, if she misses it's my fault...

She just wants to magically get better. I told her I've been playing for around 20 years and she can't expect to ever beat me w/o handicapping. It's sinking in slowly.

I even suggested she take lessons and I wont. She wouldn't go for that either. Meanwhile, I just moved to a new area and don't know many people. None who play pool. Ugh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shooter
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Dude play her for SEX then lose, you still become the WINNER....And she happy she won.

kd5kfl
09-16-2006, 08:53 AM
If believe that there is no glory in a tiger swatting a rabbit.

If I find myself playing a rabbit, I take the toughest shot on the table. Skip the ducks, go for the 3 rail bank. Choose the shot that leaves you so sad someone should write a country song about it.