PDA

View Full Version : Grady in the booth at Cardiff!

07-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Despite all the mean things he says about us I've managed to get him a try-out in the booth with Sky! So far so good.

Luke Riches
Matchroom Sport

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Grady is one of the reasons that AccuStats Video productions is successful.. His commentary is outstanding..

WaltVA
07-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Had the priviledge of taking a one-day small group lesson from Grady many years ago. He combines knowledge and experience with the ability to communicate it clearly and articulately. Hope his commentary career continues to expand and flourish - he is one of the best spokespersons the game has, IMO.

Walt in VA

Vagabond
07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi luke,
One has to have comprehensive knowledge of history of pool in America, knowledge of it`s charecters and news makers to understand Grady. He is all right ( no one is perfect)!

07-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Luke, this "sleeping with the enemy" is a strange development indeed. Surely you cannot be that desperate for quality commentators - considering all the things he has had to say here on the chalkboard in the past about Barry Hearn, Matchroom Sports and your version of the World Championships - of which you are apparently well aware of.

I don't know if this news has caused me to lose all remaining respect and credibility I still held out for him (considering he is apparently selling out himself and all that he stands for to someone he so depises) or if I admire him for his realizing and admittance that maybe he was wrong. Same can be echoed about my respect (or lack of) towards your organization - that you'd be so desperate to even consider this move.

The people that make up this pool culture that leads us just never cease to amaze me in their decision making - always out for the almightly dollar, with little if any concern for integrity, accountability or for the long-term good/growth of the game.

Regardless as to my feelings of him as a pool announcer / commentator, I'd have to say that (unless the matches and commentary are not broadcast live, but rather are taped and edited) you're taking a huge risk by placing him in that booth.

IMO, a person MUST be held fully accountable for their statements made on this board - otherwise this forum has lost all it's credibility and respect in the pool community. I'm not saying a person can't make a mistake and post something on here in the heat of the moment in which they later regret and apologize for, but that has not been the case for this gentleman. His strong feelings and opinions have been made crystal clear.

There's no doubt placing him in that booth will be exciting, controversial and likely have a positive impact on your TV ratings - and I guess that's all that matters from your perspective. I'd love to hear firsthand and live all he has to say. If he ends using this rare opportunity of a worldwide podium to share more than just his expert commentary on the match - you'll only have yourselves to thank for it - good luck! - Chris in NC

Retardo
07-15-2002, 12:35 PM
Did he teach you how to spell too? In his book, Grady always spells privilege with a 'd' too.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

07-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Why don't we wait to see what Grady has to say about the matter. I'm sure that many things took place before the offer was made and many more things happened before Grady accepted. Hopefully we will hear something either from Grady or from someone reasonably close to the whole situation.

NH_Steve
07-16-2002, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr>
IMO, a person MUST be held fully accountable for their statements made on this board - otherwise this forum has lost all it's credibility and respect in the pool community. I'm not saying a person can't make a mistake and post something on here in the heat of the moment in which they later regret and apologize for, but that has not been the case for this gentleman. His strong feelings and opinions have been made crystal clear.
<hr></blockquote> I'm new to this board, but have been involved with other BB's quite a bit, and i'd say it's not the norm to expect full accountability with posting on a BB. Nice idea, but not likely. A lot of posters definitely are more outspoken in their opinions on a BB than they ever would be in real life, IMO, and it's part of what makes the reading entertaining /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif .

Apparently Grady has a history with some of you on this board? Like I said, I'm new, so I don't know specifically what you are referring to. In anycase, count me as a Grady fan...

07-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Hey Steve! Welcome to the CCB. Grady has a history, but he's never been personally insulting to anyone other than Alan Hopkins that I know of. What you're seeing is references to Grady's somewhat 'fuzzy' logic of late. He seems to have taken that left turn to bizzarro land, where the pill cups come every four hours and the hallucinations are here to stay. LOL Seriously, Grady is a good guy, most of the time, or at least as good a guy as a professional gambler can be. And he's a very good commentator. I don't think Chris should be overly worried about his live appearance. Grady may seem a little nuts here, but he will be a consummate professional in the booth. Congrats to Sky Sports and Grady, I'm sure both will be very pleased with the outcome /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2002, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Hey Steve! Welcome to the CCB. Grady has a history, but he's never been personally insulting to anyone other than Alan Hopkins that I know of. What you're seeing is references to Grady's somewhat 'fuzzy' logic of late. He seems to have taken that left turn to bizzarro land, where the pill cups come every four hours and the hallucinations are here to stay. LOL Seriously, Grady is a good guy, most of the time, or at least as good a guy as a professional gambler can be. And he's a very good commentator. I don't think Chris should be overly worried about his live appearance.
--------------------------------------------------------
"Grady may seem a little nuts here, but he will be a consummate professional in the booth." /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>

That was my initial thought also. If there's a paycheck on the line I'm sure Mr. Matthews will behave himself quite nicely /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Still rooting for the curmudgeon,

cheesemouse
07-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Despite all his warts I like Grady for his stands, right or wrong. there is a reason they call him the 'professor'...if you don't want to know what Grady thinks don't ask him a question cause when you 'click' on him he downloads whatever is there in the there there.....LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif