PDA

View Full Version : Hoosiers ... And What Movie Makes You Tick

Barbara
07-14-2002, 03:30 PM
So I'm studying for my finals and my brain got full around 4:30 pm. Got answers to 32 of 40 review questions and only about 123 pages of reading to do before the final this Thursday. I have a middle to high B avergae and I really want to ace this course. This is why I'm limiting my Internet time and you haven't seen too much from me.

So when I stopped this afternoon I noticed that "Hoosiers" was on. I love this movie. It really inspires me. I kept messing up the line where Gene Hackman says to Barbara Hershey that "It would kill some guys to be treated as a god for 5 minutes." I always thought that he said "It would kill some guys to get that close to their dream."

I came that close to a dream when I was a teenager. This movie made me re-think that I wasn't a failure but what I did accomplish was that much more important. Since then, I've re-defined my goals and what a success means to me.

What movies/moments have redefined or have inspired you to go for what you want?

Barbara~~~going for an A, but will settle for a B. It's just that way...

PQQLK9
07-14-2002, 03:40 PM
My all time favorite inspirational movies are
"Rudy" and "The Jackie Robinson Story"...a couple
of real Tear Jerkers.
Rootin for u to Ace that exam...

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 03:57 PM
There are a lot of sports fantasy movies... lots on baseball, basketball and football.. I enjoy them all.

Field of Dreams, For the love of the game, Hoosiers, the Hustler, Grand Prix (an older movie) all great movies.

I have recently seen some newer movies that are not sports related that deal with the motivation and inspriation factor.

Good Will Hunting, Searching for Forester.. are two really good ones.

Hoosiers is very good.. and I love the ending, when they show the picture on the wall of the gym..

Barbara
07-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Rudy! Rudy!! Rudy!!!

I always cry at that scene he sacks the QB!!

Barbara~~~He's So Little!!! NOT!!!

Barbara
07-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Field Of Dreams... Another great movie that I have to watch every time it comes on tv...

Barbara~~~gave up golf as a kid, but will make it up and accept my Dad's clubs and play in a scramble this September...

Karatemom
07-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi Barbara. Know you've been studying hard, so take a break, you deserve it.

Movies don't inspire me too much, as I'm into the horror flicks, but there are a couple of defining moments in my life that has changed it's course.

I've always worked as a secretary, and even got my degree in mgmt, but after I graduated, something clicked. I realized that I didn't have to work in a mgmt or secretarial position just because I had the experience or knowledge. So I decided to work at my son's elementary school as an aide. I'm not a "kid" person, but I'm drawn to them. I get so much enjoyment out of the fact that, for even one day, I have helped a child, other than my own.

The other life changing event happened just recently, and I think you probably know about it. Thanks to all of the ladies of the CCB who were at Vegas, I have picked up my cue again and started shooting. I'm not sure I would have if I hadn't met all of you. I knew Chris wanted me to, but I never thought I had the time, but I found out that I can make the time. I love this game and I'm stubborn enough to not give up at it when I get aggravated.

Heide ~ will see you again in Vegas, but this time, as your opponent /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Barbara
07-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Glad we inspired you to hold a cue again!! We are a groupie of women, aren't we??!

I am still smiling about the group that cheered me on when I won my one and only game that one night in my last match!!

Barbara~~~may be sailing the Bahamas in May next year....

07-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Each of us has a vision of the world that belongs to him alone, and when he dies that world dies with him. Others may share in some parts of it, but none will see it exactly as he does, nor will all experience it in the same way. For they are living with their own vision of reality.
Each man's vision of reality is based upon his life experience, the influences of people, places, books, dreams, work, all the various aspects of his existance that go to make up him or her.

These words are the ones that move me. I keep them on my frig. Even more so now that I have lost my favorite grandfather.

Jerry S.

Cueless Joey
07-14-2002, 07:05 PM
When I quit my old yukky job to get my Microsoft certification, I just called my old co-workers ahd let them talk to me how crappy that job was. LOL
Presto. I passed all the tests and I love my new gig.
When I was reviewing from 7 to 11 nightly, I disconnected my internet. Too much distraction for me.
The movie that inspires me the most is Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story. Bruce Lee had a dream and did everything to accomplish it. The way I look at it, everything in life has a price and a prize. It's up to you to weigh them.

Gayle in MD
07-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Dear Jerry,
What a beautiful post! I really enjoyed reading it. Also, they (the words in your post) tell me, you will never really lose your grandfather.
Regards
Gayle in Md

Barbara
07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
But Jerry, I'm listening/hearing/thinking about words that move me now. And continually to move me. I love so many movies that capture the feeling that inspires me to believe that I can influence my life or someone else's.

Barbara~~~woohooo!!

Scott Lee
07-16-2002, 08:09 PM
A movie that I saw last year really inspired me. It is called the Legend of Bagger Vance, and is about golfers!
Some amazing dialogue came out of that movie...and if you allow it, some good direction for one's life outlook too!

Scott

Voodoo Daddy
07-17-2002, 01:14 AM
Movies that make me tick? Hmmmm..."Vision Quest", "Rocky", "Rudy". Sports movies with a end result. "Vision Quest" had Louden Swain battle the words of his father, his friends, the coach and his girlfriend to prove he could beat the current State wrestling champ "Shoop". In other words "To be a champion, you must BEAT a champion". "Rocky" depicted the classic club fighter/bonebreaker reaching from the street at the brass ring, truely compelling. "Rudy" showed the size of the man doesnt govern the size of the heart in a man. No quit resulted in finally realizing his dream. All of these movies gave me goals to reach at the time of their hayday. But the greatest of them all was "Men of Honor" about the first black Navy diver...desire and drive unamtched, IMO.

Now I aspire to be Adam Sandler...he makes 25m a movie!!! Good luck Barbara on that "A"...I'm rooting for ya!!

Voodoo