PDA

View Full Version : Fran Crimi

randyg
09-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Hi Fran.

Your response to Johnny is really how I feel sometimes.

The "Certified Instructors" that are on this chat board offer some very real help to our fellow listeners.

I'm always taken back when a person suggests that we are either too expensive???? or that's not the way to learn????

I'm now a little more selective on my responses.....too bad.

The one response that I always chuckle at is: "go find a pro player to learn from". I chuckle because if they went to you, they would have both, a pro player and a Master Instructor. Just doesn't make much sense in what they try to tell the other members of this board.

Anyway, I'm not leaving just yet but I do feel that we take a bad rap from some uneducated posters at times. I'm sure I'm adult enough and can handle the problem, doesn't mean I like it.

As my friend OZ always says, "They don't know, what they don't know"!!!!

Fran, keep up the great work....SPF=randyg

pooltchr
09-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Randy,
Sometimes I feel the same way. Then I get a student who comes to me because of some of the things posted here. When I get an e-mail a few months later from a student who went from an APA5 to an APA9 in just a matter of months, it makes it all worth while. We aren't going to convince everyone that professional instruction is the way to go, but when our students start taking their money in matches, they may reconsider.
Don't give up!
Steve

Fran Crimi
09-11-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm not leaving either, Randy. Nobody tells me what to do or not do unless I break their rules, particularly someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

But I will speak up against anyone who puts down who I am or what I do.

You and I are among several BCA Instructors who have been posting here for several years, offering hundreds and hundreds of hours of free advice to total strangers. I don't regret it because I believe it's important to give back to your profession. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Yet over all those years, where are all those pro players? I haven't seen them posting any free playing advice on any message boards or anywhere, for that matter.

But yet, we should all seek them out and fork over money to them for lessons just because of who they are. I think not.

There are givers and there are takers in the world. Take a lesson from a giver and you will get the most they have to offer for your money. Take a lesson from a taker and it can easily turn into an experience in watching them explain to you how great they are. I can think of a few names in particular right now, but I'll keep them to myself and let those players who seek them out find out for themselves.

Fran

ceebee
09-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Having been a teacher in Professional Golf, I've seen many students make miraculous changes in their game, in a short time, simply from a change made in their mechanics. Most of my students had bought a sack of clubs & headed for the links. 5 years down the road, & many a mile walked, they wanted to play better. The ones that worked hard, to unlearn their poor form, went on to play well, one became a Tournament Winner. The others, very few I might add, did make noticeable changes in their game, maybe to the level they felt comfotable with????

I see Pool & Billiards the same way, because I am a product of learning via osmosis for 25 years. I played very good snooker for 20 years, than gave up the game to be a daddy & an engineer at BOEING. When I returned to playing Pool, I bought a book. Now I have 45 books & 100+ Videos. I don't have instructor, because there isn't one in town. There is an Instructor in Tulsa, albeit it hard to arrange time with, but that 's a long way away, too. I do have a Video Camera & a great Pool Table.

I always tell young folks, take some lessons, get started right. Let the teacher become your coach, so you will be able to enjoy the natural talent you might have, coupled with your new knowledge.

Thorsten Hohmann said the other day, he planned to get himself a coach, in order to stay at the top of his Pool Game. If a Top Professional feels this way, surely us mortals should take note of their direction... JMHO

DSAPOLIS
09-11-2006, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

Yet over all those years, where are all those pro players? I haven't seen them posting any free playing advice on any message boards or anywhere, for that matter.
<hr /></blockquote>

???

I'm not BCA certified nor do I see any reason to be. I charge less than half the rate of both of you and the results of the players I have worked with over the years speaks for itself. I know what it is like to intensely work with great players and assist them in their quest for world championships and national titles. As far as posting free information on the internet, I think I have everybody beat in that category as well. During all of this I have referred people to both of you and Randyg because you are excellent instructors. I have never asked for anything in return for that either. If I knew that this was your attitude I would have stopped doing that a very long time ago.

Fran Crimi
09-11-2006, 07:23 AM
You are an exception, Dave. I can name lots of players who fit the profile I explained very well but I won't. I'm sure you can as well.

Don't degrade who I am and what I do and I won't degrade who you are and what you do.

Fran

JPB
09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I just went and looked at that thread after seeing this. It always surprises me that people say to either not take lessons or to find a top player. I don't think there is a certified or otherwise good teacher out there who doesn't play at at least a certain level. But being able to beat the top few players in the world is no requirement for being a good teacher of course. I just don't understand why so many pool players seem resistant to going to a teacher. It is generally a much better way to learn. In any sport there are a lot of great players, sometimes the very best, who are lousy teachers. They may not know exactly what they do, they may not be able to convey it if they do, and sometimes they do something that is a bad idea to teach. Their talent allows them to do it and practice has made it so it is unlikely thay could change it if they wanted to. So they play with it and they play great. Trying to copy them would be folly though. It seems so obvious to me, but I guess it isn't.

P.S. It also seems obvious to me that it is a much different thing to analyze what a student is doing and figure out how to get them to improve than being able to simply say what he good player does. A good player might well know the right thing to do, but it is another thing to find the flaws in a student's game and fix them the right way. That is teaching skill not just playing skill.

DSAPOLIS
09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Agreed. However, this discussion has been going on for years. Tere are many non BCA certified instructors that are just as or better qualified to tach this game. Everuthing I have done has been modeled after Hal Mix's philosophy of teaching this game. When non-certified instructors are labeled as unqualified or substandard in their appraoch, you may have eliminated a viable option for the person you said that to.

We should all work together. I have material that I can provide to both of you regarding all aspects of the game that you can freely pass along to your students. I am always available to assist players with the mental game and I have traveled as far as China, Japan, Korea, and UK to do that. I have no problem assisting either of your workshops or academies. Like you said, it comes down to not knocking the other guy. My style is different, but it is effective.

DennyS
09-11-2006, 07:35 AM
That is exactly why i don't post on here, just view the posts everyday.

Williebetmore
09-11-2006, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Hi Fran.......
Anyway, I'm not leaving just yet but I do feel that we take a bad rap from some uneducated posters at times. I'm sure I'm adult enough and can handle the problem, doesn't mean I like it.

<hr /></blockquote>

RandyG,
I'm glad to hear that you do not let these things bother you (too much). I hope that you realize that the majority of forum members are VERY selective in what they attend to on the forum. If it comes from a credible source like you, or Fran, or Grady - we pay attention. If it comes from an anonymous source (like me) or known troll (like breakup...just kidding) - we just ignore it.

Unfortunately, there is almost never a post from a public figure that fails to draw a response from one of the trolls - most of us just ignore it; and I encourage you all to continue participation, because the majority of us REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!!!!

dr_dave
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to all of the experienced instructors on this board. I have learned a lot from you guys and I hope you all continue to contribute your time and knowledge.

Also, I want to apologize. I think I have offended each of you at different times in the past (esp. Fran and Dave S.). I hope you don't think I have any disrespect. It is just my nature to question everything, and I know that my tone can sometimes be misconstrued as disrespectful. I just want to be clear that I have the greatest respect for you guys.

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
09-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Having been a "range rat" as well as a golfer, for a few decades....I've listened in on many a failed lesson. Seems to me that knowing how to teach, is the prerequisite to knowing how to teach a sport. I think the BCA certification program does a nice job of showing people how to teach...AND how to teach pool (I've listened in on a few certification seminars as well)

Here's an example of good intentions/bad instruction, from the book "Extraordinary Golf"
Two baseball players were at the driving range, and the one who was a golfer, was trying to teach the other who was not.
The novice takes his first swing and misses the ball, but has a great full and powerful swing, good hand and body position through the impact area. On his secong good swing he hits a short slice. The buddy then tells him about.. head down, left arm straight, shift the weight, etc ...and on his next swing his body stops, he casts the club at the ball,his impact position is awkward, but he hits the ball straight about 150 yds. His friend says "now you've got it".
It might be a bit harder in pool to ruin a guy's natural stroke in only 3 attempts, but we had a few players at the old pool room, that imagined themselves to be instructors, and would go up to every new player offerring conflicting advice...and set them back more, in trying to learn the game. I liken a good instructor to a video camera. the camera will point out some flaws you never knew you had in your setup/stroke...the good instructor will show you how to correct them
The book has a great line about the role of the instructor is to find the genious within the student. Does a nice job of differentiating between an instructor, and a coach.
While discussing this with my friend....seemed nothing was new, he had learned all that at Mr. RandyG's school.
I'm also sure I could learn "all that" from Steve, Fran, or "Blackjack".
While there is a price for taking lessons from a good instructor....the benefits for your game are priceless.

Brian in VA
09-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Fran said "There are givers and there are takers in the world. Take a lesson from a giver and you will get the most they have to offer for your money. Take a lesson from a taker and it can easily turn into an experience in watching them explain to you how great they are."

Truer words were never written, Fran! I've been fortunate, or smart enough, to find givers when I've looked for help.

Best regards,
Brian in VA

DSAPOLIS
09-11-2006, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to all of the experienced instructors on this board. I have learned a lot from you guys and I hope you all continue to contribute your time and knowledge.

Also, I want to apologize. I think I have offended each of you at different times in the past (esp. Fran and Dave S.). I hope you don't think I have any disrespect. It is just my nature to question everything, and I know that my tone can sometimes be misconstrued as disrespectful. I just want to be clear that I have the greatest respect for you guys.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave
Just want you to know that respect holds true from my end as well.

dr_dave
09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to all of the experienced instructors on this board. I have learned a lot from you guys and I hope you all continue to contribute your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave
Just want you to know that respect holds true from my end as well.<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Dave. I appreciate that.

Dave

randyg
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Jesus Christ Blackjack, don't be so damn defensive. I never once mentioned "BCA" anything. I was referring to all the instructors who post info on this board, and you are one of them.

You of all people should know the respect you receive from Fran, Scott and myself.

Hal Mix, Hal Houle, BCA, who cares. If you help people play better pool, be proud of it. It's the nitpickers that hurt our sport, don't be one.....Your friend, SPF=randyg

Fran Crimi
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Good for you, Brian!

I figure it takes probably both good sense and good luck (with a little intuition thrown in for good measure) to pick a good one. As Randy says, you don't know what you don't know....That couldn't be more true. But also, you don't want to get BS'd to death either.

Fran

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Fran said "There are givers and there are takers in the world. Take a lesson from a giver and you will get the most they have to offer for your money. Take a lesson from a taker and it can easily turn into an experience in watching them explain to you how great they are."

Truer words were never written, Fran! I've been fortunate, or smart enough, to find givers when I've looked for help.

Best regards,
Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

TennesseeJoe
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
What is a reasonable rate for good instruction?

joepool
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I played the game for many years before seeking an instructor and even longer before I went to "Pool School". I wish I had done both a lot sooner.

Many of my fellow players were wondering why I was getting help with my game since I was already one of the stronger players in the area. But I knew and trusted that it would help to get the insights of a good instructor that knew their job.

I completed the Cue-Tech Advanced class with Randy G. and then a refresher second class a few months later with Randy G. and Carl.

To say it was a great help to my game is understatement indeed.

At Cue-Tech they helped me see the game, especially, fundamental stroke and aiming in a way that made sense, and gave me checklists, practice drills, etc. to help me continue to develop my game after school was over.

It may be that a player who thinks an instructor can't help is right because their mind is already made up, but if you go to a good instructor with an open mind and willingness to make changes if needed, you will play better.

just my two cents...

Tom S. in San Francisco

randyg
09-13-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi Tennessee Joe:

Furnish us with your email and we will all send you our programs.......SPF=randyg

pooltchr
09-13-2006, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TennesseeJoe:</font><hr> What is a reasonable rate for good instruction? <hr /></blockquote>

I can't speak for other instructors (well, I could, but I will let them speak for themselves) but you can find my rates posted on my web site.
Steve

Fran Crimi
09-13-2006, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TennesseeJoe:</font><hr> What is a reasonable rate for good instruction? <hr /></blockquote>

How good? Really really really good, or just okay good?

Fran /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

walt8880
09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
I just wish I had a good instructor here. I would invest the time and money readily.

If any of you instructors (BCA or otherwise) ever decide to take a trip to Shanghai and want to give a couple days instruction while you are here, let me know.

marek
09-13-2006, 06:12 AM
I have read this thread and at one moment I told to myself: if I threw a grenade into this group of people there would be a LOT less great people walking on this planet.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Well I dont really get it when people dont want to take a good instruction if there is a possibility. As I have written many times here in the past there are no pool instructors where I live. But I have found someone who was able to help me even though he is no instructor. He can just analyze things (that is what he does for living) and one thing he was able to analyze was my fundamentals. My learning curve has gone uphill after two sessions with him. And I am 100% sure that if he has more experience teaching pool it would be even more fruitful. I really envy every player who has the possibility to work with real pool teacher!!!! So I beg you all players who are willing to get better: find yourself an instructor, it IS worth it.
P.s.: Learning pool without proper instruction is soooooooo painful..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif One day you will run a hundred in two innings, the day later you struggle for 20 balls.....

wolfdancer
09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
How can one tell in advance the difference? Maybe if the BCA gave out merit badges:
okay
really
really,really ???
I can understand Marek's frustration over the lack of a qualified instructor....there were none when I began playing....and now my pool problems are beyond professional help. Everyboby I play is just running out on me, especially in "case" game...and no one ever misses a bank. I feel more like a batting practice pitcher then a pool player...everybody hits, everybody scores, and I can't get anybody out.
There's something to be said for playing without instruction, at a mediocre level....it's frustrating, but it's your last chance to quit before the addiction sets in.
With each new bit of info learned, each improvement in your game.....the needle goes in a bit further.
In the book I'm reading.....the guy is in the peace corps in Ghana....and took his golf clubs with him. He decides to hit some balls one day, and draws a crowd of curious kids, who ask what he is doing....then why?
Wish I had asked myself that on day one....I might have become a Mah Jong champion instead of a weekly contributor to some pool player's retirement fund.
so my advice to Marek....QUIT, while you still have some vestiges of sanity ....take up the Japanese game of "GO" instead...you'll get a brain workout, instead of this brain numbing exercise in futility.
Well, I have to go practice some....got the weekly 8-ball tournament tonite....league tomorrow, then the 9-ball on fri.

pooltchr
09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Wolf,
I know your post was leaning toward the humorous, but it poses a very good question. How do you know what good instruction is?
BCA Certification in and of itself doesn't mean you will be getting good instruction. And not having BCA Certification doesn't mean you won't get good instruction.
The BCA program requires new instructors to work with established instructors prior to entering the program. They get the information, and are given help in learning how to present it. Instructors need to demonstrate their teaching skills to an advanced or master instructor in order to advance through the ranks. They also have to work with a minimum number of students, and provide feedback forms from those students to the BCA. Still, there are no guarantees, but at least you know they have put some time, effort, and money into becoming established as a professional instructor.

I would suggest anyone looking for an instructor to talk with the instructor first. See if the instructor tells you what they are going to do for (to) you, or if they are more interested in finding out what you hope to accomplish. The good instructors are going to help you develop your own game, not make you do it their way. They also need to have some pretty good communication skills, so you can be confident you will understand the concepts being taught. Lastly, I would ask for references. I keep a list of former students who have told me I can give out their names and contact information to anyone who is considering lessons. Talk to someone who has been there, and you should have a pretty good idea if the instructor will be able to meet your expectations.
Steve

Fran Crimi
09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can one tell in advance the difference? <hr /></blockquote>

You can't.

My question was a trick queston. People go to instructors because they want more information than they already know.

So, how do you know you're getting good information if you don't know what that infomation is supposed to be because that's why you're there in the first place??? Sheesh.

Bit of a dilemma, ain't it?

I took a few golf lessons from instructors I didn't know. First guy was really nice. Talked up a storm. After 10 minutes I thought to myself, when is he gonna shut up already and let me hit some golf balls? No good.

Second guy told me what to do before he even saw me hit a shot. What is he...the Svengali of golf?

Next guy was just plain mean. Good information, but mean as hell. Sorry, but I'm not paying you so I can be a punching bag for your "issues" pal. He's toast.

Now, I'm no golf expert, and I didn't know what I was supposed to know, yet I knew enough to reject three instructors.

The fourth was the one for me. Why? He made sense and he earned my trust and I got better because of him, and in spite of myself.

Fran

wolfdancer
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Steve, I'm the last guy that would knock the advantages of taking lessons from a quality instructor, early on in any sport.....before you ingrain bad mechanics into your swing or stroke. after that you have to "unlearn" as you learn.
I'm glad that you added that a BCA certification doesn't automatically mean good instruction. It does, and it doesn't. The better instructors communicate better with their students. I had a great book on how we communicate....we each filter info a bit different...so what works for someone else, might not make sense for me. I think the best teachers have that innate ability to "read" students, and adjust their instruction program to them.
you'ld have to dumb it down some to reach me....but since I have reached my pre-ordained level of incompetence in this sport, I require no further instruction.
I'd take a wild guess from reading the posts here that you, Fran, Tom,... are all pretty good at what you do....my friend swears by RandyG....and I did waste a couple hour's of Scott's time, taking lessons....no wonder he moved to Michigan, to get further away....

wolfdancer
09-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Fran, I had the same bad experiences early on in golf. the first guy had a PGA certification. His "cure" for my bad slice, was to cut a hook face into my new driver. Sometime later, another "pro" had some spring device...from a garage door, I think, that he was going to spring on the public, as a teaching aid. I've run the gamut in Golf videos, from Sybervision, Johnny Miller, Chuck Hogan (with one of the Lawrence twins doing the narrating) and my latest....David Leadbetter.
I've got both Ben Hogan's book, and David Leadbetter's book that explains what Ben was trying to say. And "One move to better golf," "the eight step swing" and "the 30-second swing", also Ernest Jones "Swing the Clubhead" (1952) which is what I thought we was all trying to do.
and I don't even play anymore....too busy reading books.
I think good golf instructors might be harder to find then good pool teachers???
But the BCA program is a big step in the right direction...now I'm wondering about something called P.A.T... which is what I thought Adam Vinatieri did.

PoolSharkAllen
09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
...and now my pool problems are beyond professional help. Everyboby I play is just running out on me, especially in "case" game...and no one ever misses a bank. I feel more like a batting practice pitcher then a pool player...everybody hits, everybody scores, and I can't get anybody out. <hr /></blockquote>
Wolf: I have to disagree with your comment that your pool problems are beyond help. Find yourself a good instructor and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement you make in your game.

Deeman3
09-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Wolfdancer/Fran:

Just "Be The Ball".....LOL

DeeMan

wolfdancer
09-13-2006, 10:57 AM
You may have misread what I wrote....the other guys don't let me at the table with their break and runs....I need a Shaman, not an instructor.

pooltchr
09-13-2006, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You may have misread what I wrote....the other guys don't let me at the table with their break and runs....I need a Shaman, not an instructor. <hr /></blockquote>

This is a true story. A guy I work with went to league one night. As he turned to shake hands with his opponent before the match, his cue hit and broke his opponent's glasses. The poor kid could barely find the table, and my co-worker won his match. Moral of the store is, if you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up before the match!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Now who says an instructor can't offer help? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

marek
09-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Well, good advice but little too late I think.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The fact is that there are not many players here in Czech Republic who can make a punching bag from me, as of today I am N.1 on national rankings... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif The needle is in for a very long time and this addiction doesnt seem to go away in any foreseeable future.... I just want to get better, to be more consistent should be sufficient for me right now because when I play my A-game I put despair in the hearts of my opponents. Just yesterday I made some changes to my elbow positioning and my friend came to me asking for a game. So we played a single set of 8ball race to 8. He assembled his breaking cue and his playing cue and we played the lag which I won. I b-and-r first two racks, in the third I tried to run the table but went short of 4rail position just about 15 centimeters on second to last ball when the position zone was like 10 x 10 centimeters and missed the though ball. My opponent played safety as he had bad position but I was able to play jump bank shot and finish the table. then I ran another 3 b-and-r on him while coming dry on the break in the seventh game leaving him tough layout. My opponent tried to run the table but wasted his chance on the second to last ball and I ran out. And I made b-and-r in the next too so we shook hands and he shook his head as well saying something about robots.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I lack consistency to play like that 24-7 as I have to focus on my technique all the time. There are days when I run anything playing table lenght 80 degree cut shots (like yesterday) and there are days when I cant string 2 racks in straight pool. But slowly its getting better, those periods of flawless pool are getting longer while those slump-like days are getting fewer in number.

As I say in my motto:

Qtec
09-14-2006, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just yesterday I made some changes to my elbow positioning and my friend came to me asking for a game <hr /></blockquote>

You need help.

Q

Qtec
09-14-2006, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wolf,
I know your post was leaning toward the humorous, <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Understatement of the year I think! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q

marek
09-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Q,
not sure how did you mean that? Did you find anything ridiculous about that sentence (english is not my natural language which you can clearly see /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) or did you find it just funny to play a match just after making changes to my technique (which is not a good thing if you ask me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)?

DickLeonard
09-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Wolfdancer I have always said I could have gotten a Dr. Degree in the time I have spent playing Pool. When I said that I was in my early twentys but I know I wouldn't wouldn't had as much fun.

As the hippie who went to Haight-Ashbury after Woodstock said after watching me play pool for an hour or so. Butch you don't need drugs your High on Pool.####

wolfdancer
09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
??? Q has a sense of humor
Sounds like you have all the tools and the more you get to play...the more you can play up to your best level.

HiPockets
09-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Fran, where in New York are you giving lessons/hanging out since Corner Billiards?

Fran Crimi
09-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Where do you live? I was thinking of moving to Houston.

Fran

Qtec
09-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I would never make fun of your English. I think you do pretty good in that department.
When I see someone in the club get down on the shot and then look behind themselves to see where their elbow is- I see someone who needs help. That's all.
Just because you miss a ball or play bad doesn't mean to say that there is a problem with your technique.

Qtec

mfinkelstein3
09-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I have been following this thread for a while and haven't posted too much of yet. Sorry for not sharing some of my insights. It seems to me that one of the issues is what the student wants from an instructor. I go to a personal trainer for strength and flexibility, an eye doctor for eye exercises, etc etc. In each case I go to different people for different things. Likewise for pool. We all have different strengths and the astute student would pick all our brains rather than look for the one best. Getting the most from each instructor will provide a more rounded education that a dogmatic approach.

The other part is different personalities work for different people. I don't think there really is a science to picking an instructor. I know I try to tailor my approach to the student, but sometimes we don't click, and sometimes we do. I never hesitate to refer someone to another instructor, like Fran or Tony if I feel that they can help the student more than I can.

If you want to flame me, shoot low, cause I'm riding a pony.//Mark /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
09-23-2006, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Where do you live? I was thinking of moving to Houston.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

HUH??!

Barbara

ceebee
09-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Fran, maybe you would entertain a looksee at Tulsa, OK. Tulsa is a great Pool Town &amp; it's centrally located to go anywhere in America. Real Estate is very reasonable &amp; there are lots of things to see &amp; do.

There are lots of very avid lady Pool Players in Tulsa &amp; lots of tournaments too.

dg-in-centralpa
09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Come to Lebanon. We are very laid back, dumb pennsylvania dutchmen. We are 1 1/2 hours from Philly, 2 1/2 from Baltimore and New York. We are close to everything, yet far enough to be considered hick town. The tourists watch the horse and buggies ride by. We can find a place for you.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Come to Lebanon. We are very laid back, dumb pennsylvania dutchmen. We are 1 1/2 hours from Philly, 2 1/2 from Baltimore and New York. We are close to everything, yet far enough to be considered hick town. The tourists watch the horse and buggies ride by. We can find a place for you.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM

DG

Qtec
09-25-2006, 07:37 PM
If you go to the eye doctor, do you belive what he says?
If you belive him , I assume you do that because you belive he has more knowledge on the subject of eyes than you do.

Half the battle sometimes is convincing the pupil that you actually DO know what you are talking about!
They have to believe.
Qtec