PDA

View Full Version : Fiber backing pad between tip and ferrule

07-14-2002, 06:48 PM
What is purpose of having a fiber backing pad between the tip and ivory ferrule? Do non ivory ferrules benefit from having this pad? Also, is it pretty much a given that all cue makers use this backing pad in new cue production that involves ivory ferrules?

07-14-2002, 08:04 PM
I play with ivory ferrules & make a lot of Qs, with ivory & buckhorn ferrules. All of the ivory ferrules get a fiber backing before they leave this shop. All of my ivory ferrules are also capped. The basic premise of the fiber disc is that off center hits spread the shock over a greater area, rather than centering it at the edge of the ferrule, where it would be more susceptable to cracking. I don't know for a fact that it does what it's supposed to, but at $50 a ferrule, why take a chance. I can tell you that my son's Q is 12 years old with a noncapped ivory ferrule & he breaks with it. It has not cracked in all of that time. This Q does not have a fiber backing, so go figure...JER

SpiderMan
07-15-2002, 08:13 AM
I use them on many ferrules for two reasons:

1 - If the player lets the tip wear thin, it will still have something over the ferrule when he can no longer play with it (saves the ferrule).

2 - I can get three or four good tip replacements, sanding just a little on the pad each time, before I want to replace the pad itself (again, preserves the ferrule). Could probably get eight or nine tips per pad replacement, but I don't like the idea of letting the adhesive get that old under the pad.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kelly:</font><hr> What is purpose of having a fiber backing pad between the tip and ivory ferrule? Do non ivory ferrules benefit from having this pad? Also, is it pretty much a given that all cue makers use this backing pad in new cue production that involves ivory ferrules? <hr></blockquote>

Kelly,

A lot of people will put pads on Ivory ferrules. The pads there to protect the Ivory from cracking but also aids in the tip change later. It'll keep the ferrule from being squared off each change. Also, might aid in some space between the tip and ferrule when the glue oozes.

Some cue makers like Schon, use pads on there cues. Although, some of there ferrules may not be Ivory. This it due to the steel joint. It muffles the sound. They also use a water buffalo tip that comes with a pad from the factory, that makes their tips I'm guessing.

I have all Ivory on my shafts and can say I have some pads and some not. I've never cracked one however, I don't break with them either. I have had a Melamine crack in 4 spots before, when the tips got too low. (when the side wall is less then two dimes width.)

I personally think, the pads soften or take away from the feel of the hit. I'll have my pads put on thin(dimes width). Your probably wondering, what type of pad. So, let me say there are, Fiber and Plastic(ABS) I prefer the ABS. Haven't heard of other types of pads.

IMO I like the hit of Ivory and especially the chalk clean up, the shine is next to none. The thing I don't like, is Ivory is easily taken down. One has to be really careful about Ivory. The other materials are easily sanded flush when glue or tip burnishing is done. My cue guy puts me on my tippy toes when he does a tip. I'm like 46 and thinking of buying "Depends" for the event. I have heard about Ivory shrinking, I'm all over that. I just keep it away from the pool.

Regards,

C.C.~~I'm serious....