PDA

View Full Version : kasson or olhausen witch is better ??????

ronzxcvb
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I am about to buy my first pool table
we have 5 kids so it should get a lot of use and abuse
witch would be better
a kasson terminator american made
or an olhausen Springfield made in Taiwan (so that means china)
they are both priced about the same and come with lifetime warrantees
1" 3 piece slate they look almost identical
the sales rep told me that the olhausen didn't have the same rails as there american made tables
i haven't found much on kasson tables yet if they go out of business what good is the warrantee
if its a good table i shouldn't need it though and help would be appreciated

Snapshot9
09-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Both are good tables, but myself, I prefer Olhausen, I think they play more consistently than Kasson. Also, I have noticed that in the past, the Pro tournaments used to play on Kasson, but at a point in time, switched to Olhausen. Now, the tendency seems to be towards Diamond Professional Series of Tables. Everything American made isn't always going to be the best, because the Orientals work harder at it than Americans do. I guess, as an example, I could point out Mezz cues, which are made in Japan. 5 kids are going to be hard on a table, no matter what brand you get ... lol

ronzxcvb
10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
well i went with the olhausen
the main reason was that the felt was stapled on the olhausen and only glued on the kasson
the framing also looked sturdier on the olhausen

Tony_in_MD
10-11-2006, 04:21 AM
My first table was a Kasson. It was an 8 foot drop pocket, 3 piece slate. You would be better off purchasing an Olhausen.

mantis
10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I think the brand you see on the tournaments has more to do with sponsorship money than the quality of the table. Of course they are not going to play on a bad table, but I am sure it is a contract battle between the better tables. Olhausen became very popular by sponsoring a lot of tournaments and having their tables in them. Now we are seeing mainly brunswick tables on tv as they try to win back their market share. Correct me if I am wrong.