PDA

View Full Version : Players Body Height & Jumping Ability Up Close Q?

Sid_Vicious
07-14-2002, 06:51 PM
I myself am shorter in the legs in proportion to my body and I find that I have a hell of a time getting over balls with jump cues when they are less that 1 1/2 balls apart, even half and quarter ball jumps on really close balls. I seldom use the dart stroke, never perfected it enough to call myself adequate for that style.

Tell me, "You guys and gals jumping close distances over full balls, or jumping over half or quater balls when REALLy close,,,what's your body height?" Is it "the taller the better for tight/short jumps, or do I need to work on my methodology???sid~~~5'11" w/32 inseam

Jay M
07-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Sid,

5'6" and I jump a full ball at 6" separation with my playing cue and a full ball at 2-3" separation with a jump cue and standard, not dart, stroke. (I prefer my playing cue, I've practiced with it for a long time so I'm more accurate with it)

Jay M

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 06:59 PM
5'11 inches.. and 32 inseam..
I can jump a full ball 5-8 inches from the cue ball with my shooting cue. And, a full ball 3 inches from the cue ball with my new Steath cue..

07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
I'm 5'4" and have no trouble jumping balls, close or far- I do use a "dart" stroke-the difference for distance is the elevation of the cue. My problem with jumping is occasionally hitting to one side of the cb and getting unwanted english..... Patti I

07-14-2002, 08:36 PM
P.S. I do sometimes have to stand on tiptoe.....

Barbara
07-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Sorry... this white woman can't jump... not at all...

Sid_Vicious
07-14-2002, 09:07 PM
I have some work to put in on my technique. Thanks, that's some good jumping...sid

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Sorry... this white woman can't jump... not at all... <hr></blockquote>

Well, that will change after I see you in Vegas next yr. So, you have a choice. Buy a jump cue now or wait till Vegas. That's a promise....

Regards,

C.C.~~after school there's more school. hahah

stickman
07-15-2002, 07:34 AM
Sid, I'm just learning, but I hope there's something to that height deal. LOL 6'6" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I myself am shorter in the legs in proportion to my body and I find that I have a hell of a time getting over balls with jump cues when they are less that 1 1/2 balls apart, even half and quarter ball jumps on really close balls. I seldom use the dart stroke, never perfected it enough to call myself adequate for that style.

Tell me, "You guys and gals jumping close distances over full balls, or jumping over half or quater balls when REALLy close,,,what's your body height?" Is it "the taller the better for tight/short jumps, or do I need to work on my methodology???sid~~~5'11" w/32 inseam <hr></blockquote>

Hi Sid,

I'm 5'6" tall and height is a big factor in jumping balls. The good news is, us short people have the dart stroke which evens it out, quite a bit.

With the dart stroke I can jump a ball with reasonable accuracy 3 fingers width apart. Once, jumped to the side at 1 fingers width and massed to get the hit. So, the dart stroke is the way to go in tight places anyway.

I can jump with my playing cue too but the power is tough to control sometimes. I've also, jumped with my bridge in the air something like the masse' bridge. That's good too for something in the middle of the table and with my playing cue.

The jump cue is a must to compete with the rules as they exist. Will, be teaching Heide, soon I hope. Waiting till she's ready. That may mean when, she can run 200 balls in straight pool. hahahah She's so serious.

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
07-15-2002, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, that will change after I see you in Vegas next yr. ....
<hr></blockquote>Ooh ooh, me too, me too! I bought a Bunjee jump cue in Vegas this year /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but I can't seem to make it work for me...

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Chris Cass:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Well, that will change after I see you in Vegas next yr. ....
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Ooh ooh, me too, me too! I bought a Bunjee jump cue in Vegas this year /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but I can't seem to make it work for me... <hr></blockquote>

For you SPetty,

Anything to help. Hope the cast will stay off this time. In 15 mins. I'll have everyone calling you froggy. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.

07-15-2002, 01:15 PM
may not be height but the length of your wing span --- have seen many folks jump in may ways. if your backhand is on top as in a normal sroke your limited on elevation unless going sidearm. going sidearm moves your body away from the shot and causes aim problems.
if you normally jump with your backhand on top or slightly sidearm find your sweet spot, the distance you can jump every time successfully. once you know this spot try finding another confortable stance &amp; grip that allows max elevation without loosing accuracy. i've found that on jumps closer than 7 - 8 inches i need to bring my feet closer together to allow me to get more over, yet still behind, the shot. my backhand is now on bottom gripping my butt between my thumb, index &amp; saturday nite finger like you would chunk a dart. by making these changes i can jump full balls upto 3 inches probably 60 to 70% of the time. NOW JUMPIMG AND MAKING ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! i will always look for the kick shot, 1, 2 or 3 rails before jumping, DIAMONDS ARE YOU BEST FRIENDS

Kato
07-15-2002, 01:41 PM
This white man can't jump neither. I'm waiting for my Chris Cass instructional video. I'm going to try to learn and then buy a Stealth.

Kato

07-16-2002, 06:51 PM
Maybe I'm just short (5' 4") _and_ a weakling, but I can't get the dart stroke to work. I can jump pretty accurately up close, and jump a full ball at about 4", and I can use my break cue to jump a partial ball with table-length accuracy, but put the cue ball outside my reach, and I've got no chance.

If I try the dart technique, I can't balance the jump cue, and the shot is so inaccurate, I'm just as likely to miss the CB as miss the OB. Is there a key to holding the cue for the dart technique that I'm missing or is it just my twig-like physique ?

07-16-2002, 10:39 PM
what kind of bridge are you using? I have never been able to bridge on the table and junp a ball- (short fingers, too) I find bracing my elbow on my side, with a closed bridge in the air, giving 6-9 inches of play between my bridge and the ob works well with a dart stroke.

Rod
07-17-2002, 12:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I myself am shorter in the legs in proportion to my body and I find that I have a hell of a time getting over balls with jump cues when they are less that 1 1/2 balls apart, even half and quarter ball jumps on really close balls. I seldom use the dart stroke, never perfected it enough to call myself adequate for that style.

Tell me, "You guys and gals jumping close distances over full balls, or jumping over half or quater balls when REALLy close,,,what's your body height?" Is it "the taller the better for tight/short jumps, or do I need to work on my methodology???sid~~~5'11" w/32 inseam <hr></blockquote>

Sid, I ain't no towering giant, I'm a short guy. At a touch over 5'7" it is difficult depending on where the c/b is located. To tell you the truth when balls get that close, I'm going to kick if that's possible. If not then find a way to tie up balls. I really don't practice close jumps or jump shots in general. I do hit jumps well with hoppy or my playing cue. I prefer the play cue if possible especially if I need to draw the ball any distance. Hoppy is to light for effective draw. I know the dart stroke is better for close up shots because it is more of a throwing motion and does not drive the c/b into the slate per-say. I will tell you this, in most cases when someone trys a jump a ball at very close range it ends up being a sell out, or they hit the ball before. If they hit the ball before they just spread the balls better for an easier run. I'm not saying this always happens but in my experience it does way more than not. Jumping balls is great to a point but I feel time is better spent with constructive practice and kick shots. I know a number of lower rated players and above that can jump anything. But they don't have a clue how to stroke whitey on some that I would call routine shots.

~~~ borrowing a quote, "A mans got to know his limitations"

07-17-2002, 05:12 PM
I mostly use an open (snooker type) bridge, and hold the cue loosely. The jump cue is really light, and has a really hard tip, and everything's designed for the contact to be as brief as possible. I've found that (for close-up jumps), a very light grip is much more effective. Jumping a ball that's further away requires a shallower hit and a much harder stroke.

Doctor_D
07-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Good evening:

I am 5' 7" and, in order to help with elevation and reach, I wear 2 1/2" heels when I compete.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
07-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Assuming you have a Stealth or a Bunjee. The dart stroke takes a little time to master. Height doesn't come into play as much as one might think. My son is 9 and he's 52" OR 4" 4" and jumps with a full cue and a jump cue. He jumps from over his head and will hit the ball 4 out of 6 times pocketing it maybe 3 times. It's cool, don't know how he does it, but he does.

So, the dart stroke for you, should be no problem. Grasp the cue using your thumb and index finger. Hold it very lightly and don't be afraid of breaking the ball. It won't happen. Grasp the cue at the joint. With the dart stroke at a 45 degree angle, slam that sucker and don't let the noise bother you. It'll be alright when you get the motion down.

Some middle table shots that are hard to reach, you may have to just kick. You do know you can jump, with your hands in the air?

Good Luck,

C.C.~~Kato's dead meat.....video? what next, a movie?