PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Chalk

mantis
09-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Do you think there is any noticeable differences in the brand of cue chalk used? I have seen a lot of "Masters" and "Silver Cup" chalk, and have also seen "Pioneer" chalk (for less). Is it worth it to go with one brand over another?

pooltchr
09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
The majority of players prefer Master (blue)
NTC (National Tournament Chalk) is pretty good
Silver Cup doesn't seem to stick to the tip quite as well.

I got some of the IPT chalk I am going to try out. Will give you an opinion when I have tried it.
Steve

Rich R.
09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> The majority of players prefer Master (blue)
NTC (National Tournament Chalk) is pretty good
Silver Cup doesn't seem to stick to the tip quite as well.
<hr /></blockquote>
I have to agree with pooltchr about the Masters Chalk, and blue does seem to be the prefered color. I have used other colors and I have to admit that I prefer the blue, over the other colors. I don't know why, because it should be the same except for the color.

FYI - One of the local pool room chains got some chalk with their own name on the lable. Yours may do the same. I don't know who is making it, but it is terrible stuff and you are almost guaranteed to miscue when using it.

JPB
09-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Just use Master and forget about it. The color debate doesn't excite me. Use blue unless the table demands something else. I used to play at a place with a lot of gold cloth. Tan master was just fine.

Master chalk is a great product. It is cheap and widely available. It is widely accepted as the best. SO when you find what is recognized as the best and it works and it is cheap, why screw around? Buy a gross and use it.

mantis
09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
My felt is a dark green, and whenever I play with blue, it seems to be pretty difficult to brush out. I will have to try the green and compare it to the blue I already have. Thanks!

DickLeonard
09-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Mantis I prefer the Masters Grey chalk it doesn't leave tracks like the blue chalk does. So more of it must be adhereing to the tip. ####

Qtec
09-15-2006, 05:57 AM
Dick, I can't believe I actually clicked on this thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec.........I must have masochistic tendencies!!!!

DickLeonard
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Qtec if I hadn't played pool I probably would have been able to answer that question.####

SPetty
09-15-2006, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr>I will have to try the green ...<hr /></blockquote>I prefer the green.

dr_dave
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
FYI, Platinum Billiards has done some chalk comparison experiments. You can find the results here (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php).

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> Do you think there is any noticeable differences in the brand of cue chalk used? I have seen a lot of "Masters" and "Silver Cup" chalk, and have also seen "Pioneer" chalk (for less). Is it worth it to go with one brand over another?<hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
09-15-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm color blind...and may have been using the wrong chalk all these years without knowing it.
One room in the past had red cloth on their tables, which demanded red chalk be used...I guess
Red chalk, I understand has rouge in it...it seems to be very soft...also seems to be attracked to everything,your hands, your face, but especially anything white, like shirts.

Rich R.
09-15-2006, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Red chalk, I understand has rouge in it...it seems to be very soft...also seems to be attracked to everything,your hands, your face, but especially anything white, like shirts. <hr /></blockquote>
So you tell your wife/girl friend that the red color on the collar of your white shirt is from pool chalk?
Hmmmmmmm?????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Does that story work???????

Bob_Jewett
09-15-2006, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> FYI, Platinum Billiards has done some chalk comparison experiments. You can find the results here (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php) ... <hr /></blockquote>
There are also other brands of chalk around that are much worse than those listed. Chalk is so inexpensive that you might as well get the best.

A student of mine had red cloth on his table (a sports team thing, I think) and used red chalk. Neither one of us could spin the ball much with the red chalk he had. He tried several different sources. His solution was to get normal green cloth and use blue (Master or National) chalk. Problem solved.

Do not buy chalk at a "Sportmart" or similar general sporting goods store. I don't think such places carry the good stuff.