PDA

View Full Version : Another One Pocket Shot.. One of my Favorites

Pogue
07-14-2002, 06:54 PM
I've used this one to win a lot of games. The four rail bank takes a bit of practice, but once you get that out of the way, it is very dependable. Any other reccommendations for the given table situation would be greatly appreciated.. To the best of my knowledge, you can't use running english on the draw shot in this position, because it transfers the wrong kind of english to the object ball, and makes the 4 railer too difficult. Enjoy!!

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%Am0D4%BB6\3%CC8O3%DB2[9%E[5\5%F[1\2%G[2\9%H[5\5%IB4B5%JB3B6
%KB6B5%L[1A9%M[1A7%N[5A9%O[0B4%Pi6K6%Ur6L1%Vm5C1%Wm4Z4%Xs0M3
%YV4D3%Zl6[3%[D8Y7%\U8C6%]l2F3%^i6K5%eB5b2%f7%g6%_c0Z7%`d2W3
%ai3K6%bJ1E1%cV9P9%db7[0
)END

Jay M
07-14-2002, 07:17 PM
personally, I'd stay away from that 1 ball for now, it's sitting on a 2 rail line. This would be my shot
START(
%Am0D4%BB6\3%CC8O3%DB2[9%E[5\5%F[1\2%G[2\9%H[5\5%IB4B5%JB3B6
%KB6B5%L[1A9%M[1A7%N[5A9%O[0B4%Pi8K6%WW1Z4%XD1O5%]E5O0%^i6K5
%f7%g6%_F8I7%`E5L1%aD0O2
)END

making sure that I keep the cue down by his pocket and rolling the three past the second diamond on my side of the table. I don't take a chance on the sell-out like that and I have two makeable balls to play on my next shot.

The shot you have diagrammed will work, but too many things have to go right, causing it to be a low percentage shot. You have to accomplish all of the follwing in one shot:

1) make the 4 rail bank
2) draw the cue about 12 feet with good speed
3) land the cue on the proper side of the 3

if you miss the bank, you sell the 1 ball out to your opponent. (a short bank and he either makes the 1 or uses the 1 to push both balls near his pocket forcing you to play to remove both balls without a sell-out)

If you make the bank, but under draw the cue ball, you are playing a safe or low percentage shot. This is the best way to screw the shot up because you are still shooting.

If you land the cue on the wrong side of the three, you have to play to move the 3 up table to avoid the sell out, not an easy shot to begin with and your opponent will have the opportunity to try to bank it.

If more than one thing goes wrong on the shot, you are in a world of trouble. Stick with the percentages. Like I said, your shot will work, it is a great shot, but it is VERY low percentage.

BTW, the two rail shot I was talking about is this one (which is a safe shot to play as long as the three isn't anywhere near the opponents pocket). Play it with pocket speed.

START(
%Am0D4%BB6\3%CV1Z5%DB2[9%E[5\5%F[1\2%G[2\9%H[5\5%IB4B5%JB3B6
%KB6B5%L[1A9%M[1A7%N[5A9%O[0B4%PE8U7%Wr5E8%Xm2D4%]l0E0%^E7U5
%eB5b0%f7%g6%_D5[2%`\8P0%as4F1
)END
Jay M

Pogue
07-14-2002, 09:25 PM
Jay.. I think you might be forgetting the fact that you need 2, your opponent needs 1. If there is a worry about selling out on this shot (which, in MHO, there is no worry.. I've played this shot a lot), then one can just play a stop shot on the 1.. Being behind, you MUST take charge and try to make something happen. This 4 railer is automatic to either go or be within 3 or 4 inches of the pocket, if you are practiced at it. Drawing the cue ball two rails behind the three is actually pocket speed for the four railer.. Believe me, try this four railer and you will be a convert for life. The ball just barely gets to the pocket with a firm hit, so there is usually no fear of selling out the one. I used to play this four railer on a snooker table, the bank is THAT accurate. This is one of those "self correcting angles", you have a large area on the first rail to hit, due to the speed of the shot.. Try it, you'll like it..

Pogue

Jay M
07-15-2002, 05:12 AM
I disagree with you on this one pogue. The percentages just aren't there. If your opponent needs one and you need more, that's the time to be more patient than ever.

There's another factor in this shot. The 4 rail bank requires the object ball to hit within about 2 inches of the side pocket. What happens if you make the 1 in the side? It spots up and if you DID get the position with the cue ball, they can lag it for their pocket and leave you safe without a problem.

The shot you diagrammed is a VERY aggressive shot with a low percentage of being made. If you don't make it and end up within 3-4 inches of the pocket, your opponent may be able to force follow behind it and put you up top with two frozen on the spot and the third ball behind them. Just as safe as anything else. Or your opponent may have a shot to bank the 1 into the 3 and put both balls on his side of the table without any risk of you banking back at him.

I'd still play it the way I diagrammed it. It's safe, high percentage and moves everything into a scoring position for you.

Jay M

John in NH
07-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Hi Pogue,

Great shot, another favorite of mine is when the ob is near the rail as per your diagram using bottom right hand english (5 o'clock)you can play a two rail shot with the cb going from side to side, this is an option when another ball is in the path of your 4 railer.

Good luck,

John

NH_Steve
07-15-2002, 01:40 PM
I'd be inclined not to draw the cue back down table, too -- you're not that far behind to risk giving up a gamewinning short bank should you leave the 4-rail ball up off the end rail a bit. In fact, should you make the 4 railer -- you're not behind at all!