PDA

View Full Version : Sardo

mantis
09-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I know many people do not like the sardo rack. My question is: does it ruin the felt where you rack with it. If so, would it be better to use it without training the felt. I received the new m5000 as a gift. I play with a lot of very poor rackers at my house, which often leaves a bundle of clumped balls, even with a solid 1 ball hit. This rack has alleviated that pretty well. I have not trained the felt though, and treat my table as a prized posession. I do not want to ruin it in any way. Thought are appreciated, but I really want to hear from those who know about the rack, not just those who have read about it. Also, I am not really concerned with the debate over whether or not it is good for pool, just how it will affect the table. Thanks a lot.

pooltchr
09-16-2006, 05:21 AM
The sardo rack will put small dimples in the cloth when you press down on the balls. This will happen whether or not you "train" the cloth. However, I have seen the same thing on tables where a sardo is not used.
It's great that you want to take care of your table, but unless you never use it, over time the cloth is going to show signs of wear. Most of it is going to show up in the rack area, and the point where you generally place the cue ball to break. It's only cloth, so just like that favorite shirt, you can hang it in the closet and never wear it and it will continue to look like new. If you wear it and wash it, it's going to slowly wear out.
Brush your table regularly, keep it clean, cover it when you aren't using it, but use it and enjoy it. When the cloth wears out, replace it. There's no point in having a table if you don't use it.
Steve

mantis
09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I agree, and do play often. I just do not want to use something that will make the cloth abnormally bad. AS long as the wear will be similar to that of a normal rack, I will be happy. Thanks.

Rod
09-16-2006, 11:28 PM
As Steve suggested just use it without hammering the balls in place. Note, you need to index the corners (pencil marks will do) so the rack is placed the same every rack.

I know what you mean about poor rackers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Just go to any pool room, it's hard to find a position where the balls will freeze.

Rod

wolfdancer
09-17-2006, 07:58 AM
I've had my home table for 3 years now, and with just a wooden rack, the balls rack tight. I started out though with a new table and a new set of quality balls.
Go to any pool room, and it's usually tough to get a good rack, so everybody tries to hammer them in place.
I've found that the real problem is that some of the balls are out of balance, some are a bit smaller then the others.
I just roll the out of balance balls until there is a balance point, and move the smaller ones to the back. You can get as tight a rack this way as trying to beat the balls
into submission with the hammer method.
For the new price though...the Sardo rack looks pretty good

mantis
09-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I will say that the breaks have been much more consistent so far, although I have only played a few days with it. Even my 15 yr old brother in law (who is almost guaranteed to rack loose) was able to give me a decent rack each time. It actually made things more enjoyable. Thanks for all the advice.