PDA

View Full Version : Consistency - you either have it or you don't

Karatemom
07-14-2002, 07:34 PM
For the time being, I'm blowing off steam. I've been practicing like mad lately and hitting them pretty good. In fact, ran my first rack in 10 years, yesterday. That's a big deal for me these days. Anyway, I shot so well yesterday, and today, can't seem to make much of anything. I did a lot of work today that I didn't do yesterday, like mowing and trimming the lawn, but I'm not making excuses. I realize that in the beginning, inconsistency is going to factor into my game, but how does everyone else handle it?

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
07-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Congratulation K-Mom... you have passed the 1st test in becoming an amature pool player.

Realizing that you can't be perfect all the time and "accepting" this is a revelation. Now you can proceed to the next step in enjoyment of the exercise. You know now that you can play, that you can improve, and that you are prone to a lapse at times.

keep up the practice.. I will guarantee, you will continue to enjoy your efforts..

phil in sofla
07-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Nothing frustrates me more than playing great one day, and terrible the next.

Mainly, to deal with it, I just suffer through it, and hope that by trying to concentrate on all my basics, I'll get in stroke sometime that session where I'm playing worse than I expect to. Also, I try to figure out what might be contributing to it.

Lack of rest, or eating too much or too rich a meal too soon before playing, seem to be the main culprits that doom me to at least a stretch of poor play, if it isn't some inattention to basic form and technique. Using a poor performance situation to analyze what hurts my playing makes it possible to avoid such conditions prior to playing in the future.

stickman
07-15-2002, 08:03 AM
Hiede, The best players that I know have their off days. If they can have them, I figure it's okay for me. Granted, they have fewer of them, but hopefully as I continue to progress, I will too.

Scott Lee
07-15-2002, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr>I did a lot of work today that I didn't do yesterday, like mowing and trimming the lawn, but I'm not making excuses.

Heide <hr></blockquote>

Geez, Heide...Doesn't Chris do ANYTHING around the house? LOL

Scott ~ loves to cheap shot my pal CC!

Karatemom
07-15-2002, 12:39 PM
No. Actually, the last time he tried to do laundry, he broke the washer. So I have learned to do it myself if I want it done, LOL. Besides, he's too sick right now to do anything.

Heide ~ Barbara's hubby was supposed to show Chris how to clean the house without breaking anything

Kato
07-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Heide, introduce Chris to the equipment and cleaning supplies around the house

KarateMom: Chris, this is the mop, the mop can give your SouthWest the last 3.

KarateMom: Chris, this is the vacuum cleaner, it can give this hallway the call 8 and the breaks.

KarateMom: Chris, this is a sponge, last night the sponge was woofing at you hard wanting to play 1 hole straight up.

He'll be doing laundry and sweeping the porch in no time.

Get better Chris, pretty soon, KarateMom gonna make you her full time rack boy!!!!!!

Kato~~~full time rack boy already

phil in sofla
07-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Forgot to say that when you're shooting is a little off, look more to your safety game, or two way shots. Just as you should play what the table gives you, so too you can only play with the tools that are working for you on any given session.

Sid_Vicious
07-15-2002, 05:30 PM
I usually buy a new cue, it's about to break me! All you can do is stick it out and look forward for the best to come back around. I personally can't think about what fundamental is causing it or I end up throwing something that is working off. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. In my worst stents of bad play I have packed the cue(s) away for a week and done something entirely different from pool. It's never failed but to help me when I came back to play...sid

griffith_d
07-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Consistency,...what does that mean. Do you run 3 balls consistently, 4 balls, 5 or 6. Or do you run the table and miss the last one. It all depends on where you game is. Sometimes it is where you game is at the given moment. Streaks come and go, good and bad.

You have to look a streaks like anything else in life,...some time you make all of the green lights some time you catch all of the red ones.

You just have to stick with it and hope you can at least make more green ones than red.

Griff

07-15-2002, 09:49 PM
everyone is driven nuts by their inconsistency. and if they're not, they're lying. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif:):) it is why we get so frustrated when we miss. yeah, right! as if we should always be playing like we do on our BEST day.

and if we were consistent, there would be no B or C players, and all the A's would be pros.

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 10:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Karatemom:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;I did a lot of work today that I didn't do yesterday, like mowing and trimming the lawn, but I'm not making excuses.

Heide &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Geez, Heide...Doesn't Chris do ANYTHING around the house? LOL

Scott ~ loves to cheap shot my pal CC!

<hr></blockquote>

Hey Scott,

Trying to hook me up? I've been so sick buddy. Nothing serious but the bug thing. It happened all of the sudden, right when I was about to sweep. lol Just kidding, I feel like doggy doo. Kind of like I shoot.

Best regards,

C.C.~~Heide, I'll get to cleaning soon. Just don't call Barbara, shes brutal......lol

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Heide, introduce Chris to the equipment and cleaning supplies around the house

KarateMom: Chris, this is the mop, the mop can give your SouthWest the last 3.

KarateMom: Chris, this is the vacuum cleaner, it can give this hallway the call 8 and the breaks.

KarateMom: Chris, this is a sponge, last night the sponge was woofing at you hard wanting to play 1 hole straight up.

He'll be doing laundry and sweeping the porch in no time.

Get better Chris, pretty soon, KarateMom gonna make you her full time rack boy!!!!!!

Kato~~~full time rack boy already <hr></blockquote>

Geez Kato,

Kick a guy when he's down. I knew I could count on you and Scott. What, no Jim? hahahaha One word, Voodoo! He took the time to call and ask if I was feeling any better. Do, I get the call from either of you two? Nope, just torture, and I was going to let you touch the South West. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~feel a little better today......

Rod
07-16-2002, 02:16 AM
Heide, do you do windows too? lol Your pretty new to the game so don't let it get you down. Especially in the early stages, your learning a lot of new things and trying to apply what you have learned. It does get confusing untill you have developed a good stroke and have a solid pre-shot routine. Even then we all struggle at times. They showed Karie Webb on TV doing her pre-shot routine. There was side by side of her about to hit a driver in one and an iron in the other. It was identical. In time you will master this to a degree, then you can rely on your set up and stroke. Many times people get the wrong signal on a shot. They think such and such happened, when in fact that was not what happened at all. In time you will know what happened on a particular shot and evaluate what happened, and why you missed the ball.

I've not played all that well myself lately. My biggest reason is I don't play enough. Well I know the answer to that problem. I haven't been going thru the c/b as well as I should. Playing more does not mean this is a cure for that problem. I noticed in my routine I was not setting well before the final stroke. It caused sub par position, not to mention some missed shots. I had to break it down to the pause at the c/b. That is where the real problem started for me. I have always paused at the c/b. I just got lazy, I guess, and overlooked a very important part of my pre-shot routine. I practiced that in more of a mechanical state for about an hour. Because I wasn't set my tendacy was to move on the shot and not complete the stroke as planned. It made a huge difference and that will be my focus the next time I practice. In a very short time it will become automatic again and I won't have to think about such and just play. That is until, well you know.
We all have our ups and downs, count on it. In time the good out weighs the bad and ugly. It is a long journey that really never ends, we just want it to be as pleasant as possible.
It can make a difference on what you do before you play.
Get Chris well again, if that's possible,lol so you can go play without being the gardner first. Allergies you know! Let him suffer/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif and be the big stwong man of the house!

Chris Cass
07-16-2002, 09:56 AM
What You too! Geez, can't I get a little weight here? LOL

Great post Rod. Heide is majorly frustrated. Here mechanics are excellent, here stroke pattern as well. Her, follow-thru is good. The problem as I see it is mainly attitude and basic shot fundamentals. I feel her pain more than she does.

It's hard to keep a fresh attitude when beginning to play. Taking into account starting over after a 10 yr layoff. It's basically starting new again. She'll watch me play with ease and think, it's that easy. Well, it's not and she'll judge every performance critically.

She'll carom when she should combo or the opposite. She is making improvements but expects too much, too soon. I'm hoping others that are beginning or returning to the game see this post and realize, it's not easy.

One day she can't wait to hit balls and another after a poor performance(in her eyes)want to quit the game. Only the more experienced players like you and I, see the possibilities a beginner has. We can also see when a person should keep it recreational. Heide, has got something special. I'm afraid she'll give up before she finds out.

She has that Alison Fisher stance. Well, that's great but also very hard to see the angles of a cut shot when your down. The basic fundamentals of how to manuver around the table and what angles to make that happen. Along with shot selection is where she's weak. She'll make that tough shot and get stuck somewhere. Her saftey play is strong but BIH still you have to know what to do, to keep control and win.

While practicing drills she'll be extremely focused. She'll not only complete them but go beyond. She shows, killer instinct and determination, to reach her goal of playing next yr in Vegas. I admire her for that. It's tough, she needs to learn the patterns and how to take advantage of BIH. This isn't unusual amongst new players. I see this with more advanced players too. They'll get BIH and instead of placing the cb close to the shot and angle it to the next one. They'll set it up 3 miles away and have a long next shot.

She'll be fine if she gets her strength from within and takes the bad days performance on the chin. So many players take this game so serious. You should have fun and stay loose. Don't be so critical and enjoy it. Easier said than done sometimes. We all feel the frustrations. What I do is let it go. After the performance I'll run the games through my mind and correct them mentally. Then, the next day is a new one.

I don't judge my worst performance or my best as the way I play. It's more like down the middle. I practice the shots I had problems with on the bad days. If I had good days, I'll practice the common shots that come up in every game. Those shots are what leads to consistancy, not the tough ones. That spot shot, that straight-in, that cross side bank, that one ball saftey on the 9, that straight cut into the side. Trying to just manuver around the table with grace and ease. I laugh at the players I see practicing that cross table double bank. Like they'll need that shot 1 in 10 games. LOL

Thanks again Rod,

C.C.~~gotta do some dishes.