PDA

View Full Version : IPT

Jimk
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Is it just me or is the IPT beginning to stink a little? 100 qualifying tournaments for the next tournament? 200 players qualifying? 6 players per qualifier? With the original 150 tour players, does this mean a field of 350 for the next tournament?

Bob_Jewett
09-17-2006, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimk:</font><hr> Is it just me or is the IPT beginning to stink a little? 100 qualifying tournaments for the next tournament? 200 players qualifying? 6 players per qualifier? With the original 150 tour players, does this mean a field of 350 for the next tournament? <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, the Qualifier sounds pretty reasonable. Some of the local qualifiers have only three players. Two of them go to Las Vegas. I have heard that airfare and hotel are paid for them. Only the bottom 50 Tour Players go into the Qualifier as the top 100 keep their cards. That means about 250 in the Qualifier and one in five (50 total) will get a Tour Card, which is said to guarantee a total season's earnings of $100,000.

Since this is the first year for this, some things might change, but for anyone who thinks they play better than someone in the current top 100, it looks like a good deal.

pooltchr
09-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Not to mention that some of this past weekend's qualifiers only had 3 players entered. Even a hack like me would have had a chance at some of them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Steve

Rich R.
09-18-2006, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Not to mention that some of this past weekend's qualifiers only had 3 players entered. Even a hack like me would have had a chance at some of them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>
If you hear about any with nobody showing up, let me know. I may be able to qualify. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cushioncrawler
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I was in Adelaide last week for the Ozzy Billiards at MatchRoom Billiards -- a few of us walked across town to see some of our mates play in an IPT mini-qualifier (i think) at Empire Billiards -- $300 entry, about 9 players, winner gets $2,500 towards the $2,600 entry at the Melbourne qualifier -- all players played 8 games in a round-robin -- then the top 4 played a knockout -- then 2 played in a final.

In between games, some of the billiards players tried their luck at some 8Ball -- every frame was a run-out (not sure whether any were on the break). 3 players were Ozzy Billiards champ at one time or another -- 2 of these were Ozzy Snooker champ allso (the other was a runner-up in the snooker). One couldnt believe how eezy it was to run out -- i heard him mutter "hell, i'm going to america". One had to play in the 6 hour billiards final the next day, ie uzing 2-1/16" balls, on a 12' table -- and here he was knocking 2-1/4" balls around on a (low) 9' table, uzing a borrowed Predator pool-cue.

Funny thing -- our pool-player mate, Phil, uses a Predator 4K1, and a Predator Break cue. Phil won the South Australian (State) Snooker title a few years ago -- using hiz Predator. In that same year, a snooker player won the 8Ball title, using a snooker cue.

Me, i had my first ever hit on a 9' pool table -- ie uzing a pool-cue (Predator) and pool-balls (2-1/4"). The very low table didnt bother me az much az i thort. The parallel taper on the Predator made all of my shots go left (for rolling) and right (for short range screw) -- so i had to compensate. I even had a go at testing the pivot-point on the Predator (it was about 14" for me). The pool-cloth seemed faster and more slippery than a napped 12' billiards cloth -- but this might have been an illusion due to the bigger balls. I loved the fluorescent lighting -- much better than the lighting on most 12' tables.