PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Change Ferrel/Tip Glue Type?????

ThePooLman
09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Hey guyz just wondering how would i change the ferrel and tip of the cue with the glue type.

ras314
09-23-2006, 04:51 AM
I would find it difficult to do a good job replacing the ferrule without a lathe.

The tip can be changed by hand fairly easy by cutting off the old tip with a sharp razor knife and roughing up the ferrule surface with sand paper. It is important to keep the ferrule surface flat, so a lathe does help here. There are sanding fixtures that clamp on the shaft for sanding the ferrule end. Check Mueller's http://www.poolndarts.com/ for a lot of this stuff. Also sand the back of the replacement tip back until all lettering and glaze is gone.

If you use a super glue the tip can be held down on the ferrule for a few seconds and then let sit for a few minuets before trimming it to fit the ferrule, which is the hardest part for me.

If a solid (not layered) tip is used you can trim it fairly easy by holding the cue vertically on a block of wood and shaving down alongside the ferrule with a razor. Take small cuts, it will not take very long.

If you want to try layered tips it may be better to get one of the trimmers that works like the old hand turned pencil sharpeners. With them be careful not to get too big a "bite" or they can tear the tip apart.

Actually I would take it to a tip replacement guy unless I wanted to try a whole lot of different tips. Search the forum for some of Spiderman's posts for pictures of what a good tip job should like. Also might check out his crutch tip shaft spinner.

ThePooLman
09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
awesome, thx for all the info ras314 i appreciate it. I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out. Thanks