PDA

View Full Version : Improve your jacked up shots.

Chopstick
09-22-2006, 08:07 AM
I picked up a trick the other day by accident. I was channel sufing and I happened to stop on Bustamonte taking a shot jacked up over a ball. What he did and how he did it caught my attention. Some of you probably already know this.

What he did was take his stance with the cue elevated like he was ready to shoot. Then he bent his knees keeping his upper body structure, ( shoulder, head, elbow), locked in and still. He squatted down with his knees only until his cue was level. He sighted the shot with a level cue, made some tiny adjustments with his feet, then he straightened his legs, raising his upper body back to the elevated position.

Once he got his shoulder, elbow, and wrist locked in on the line he just raised it straight up with his legs alone. I tried it myself and it works pretty good. I have always had trouble finding the line in a jacked up position. I know this seems an obvious solution, but I never thought of it before.

SPetty
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Good description. Thanks.

Stretch
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I picked up a trick the other day by accident. I was channel sufing and I happened to stop on Bustamonte taking a shot jacked up over a ball. What he did and how he did it caught my attention. Some of you probably already know this.

What he did was take his stance with the cue elevated like he was ready to shoot. Then he bent his knees keeping his upper body structure, ( shoulder, head, elbow), locked in and still. He squatted down with his knees only until his cue was level. He sighted the shot with a level cue, made some tiny adjustments with his feet, then he straightened his legs, raising his upper body back to the elevated position.

Once he got his shoulder, elbow, and wrist locked in on the line he just raised it straight up with his legs alone. I tried it myself and it works pretty good. I have always had trouble finding the line in a jacked up position. I know this seems an obvious solution, but I never thought of it before. <hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick, nice catch on noticeing that move, and good description. Being tall i have a little advantage when it comes to jacked up shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd rather swerve than kick a lot of times. I'm sure that setup tip will see some trial. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As long as your working on those shots chops i'll share a tip that #### told me about shooting jacks. You may already do this but as you scan back and forth between ob and cb you can "see" the line between the two. On the exicution stroke lock on to a point on that line a few inches in front of the cue ball. Drive your tip to that point when you stroke the shot. This keeps your head down with precice cue tip control. Works just fine. The idea is to pop them down.:) St.

Fran Crimi
09-22-2006, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I picked up a trick the other day by accident. I was channel sufing and I happened to stop on Bustamonte taking a shot jacked up over a ball. What he did and how he did it caught my attention. Some of you probably already know this.

Once he got his shoulder, elbow, and wrist locked in on the line he just raised it straight up with his legs alone. I tried it myself and it works pretty good. I have always had trouble finding the line in a jacked up position. I know this seems an obvious solution, but I never thought of it before. <hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick, nice catch on noticeing that move, and good description. Being tall i have a little advantage when it comes to jacked up shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd rather swerve than kick a lot of times. I'm sure that setup tip will see some trial. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As long as your working on those shots chops i'll share a tip that #### told me about shooting jacks. You may already do this but as you scan back and forth between ob and cb you can "see" the line between the two. On the exicution stroke lock on to a point on that line a few inches in front of the cue ball. Drive your tip to that point when you stroke the shot. This keeps your head down with precice cue tip control. Works just fine. The idea is to pop them down.:) St.

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Both are very cool methods. In fact they're the same methods as setting up for a jump shot. I never thought about using the same techniques for over a ball shots but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

Fran </font color>

randyg
09-22-2006, 05:14 PM
We don't know, what we don't know.....OZ

Fran Crimi
09-22-2006, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> We don't know, what we don't know.....OZ <hr /></blockquote>

Did Donald Rumsfeld steal that from you, Randy?

[ QUOTE ]
The general quoted Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's statement that "we don't know what we don't know...... <hr /></blockquote>

Fran

killerstroke
09-24-2006, 06:02 AM
It also helps to hold the cue a little farther forward than normal. I believe it helps by keeping the wrist more free, not already locked. It would be more awkward to hold the cue from the butt. Like a baseball player choking up on the bat.

Chopstick
09-25-2006, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

This sounds like an excellent method Stretch. I have not heard it before. I'll try it.

nAz
09-25-2006, 07:29 AM
hmm good post... lining up jacks always gives me a problem and of course i don't practice the shot so... One thing always look at the OB last on "normal" shots but on Jack ups I tend to be more accurate if I look at the CB last, did you notice if Bustamonte(sp) looked at the Ob or CB last?

Chopstick
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I did not catch that part. I'll see if I can find the tape I made of Buddy. Now that you mention it, I think he said something about that.

Billy_Bob
09-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Thank you very much for your post!

DickLeonard
09-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Stretch X marks the spot that, is almost foolproof, I am trying to remember the last time I missed that shot.####

Stretch
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Stretch X marks the spot that, is almost foolproof, I am trying to remember the last time I missed that shot.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick, just riegn me in if i give up too many of your secrets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif St.

DickLeonard
09-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Stretch feel free to devulge any of my secrets. I feel like Earl of the TV show, I have a list of 300 secrets that I have to share to get my good Karma.####