PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else Notice this?

StormHotRod300
09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
So last nite i sold my Action SP that i had been using for a break cue. I had a phenolic tip/ferrule put on it, and it was nice.

But I figured I could sell it and use my old Espiritu cue for breaking and put a Water Buffalo tip on the shaft. Which I did.

Well the first time i went to break with the cue, my hand slipped on the wrap lol ! And hence my problem. Do I buy a new cue for breaking? or I figure i can get some hockey grip tape or friction tape to put on the wrap for grip.

I plan on buying a new custom J/B cue after Christmas, so thats why i was thinking about just using from grip tape on the wrap. I'm not worried about ruining the wrap, because I dont plan on selling the cue.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or wonder why people use cues with no wraps for breaking?

Fran Crimi
09-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Yup. I found the same thing to be true. I use a rubber wrap that slides over the wrap. 3C players use it so it's fairly easy to come by, but you have to get someone experienced with it to help you put it on or it can rip if you don't know what you're doing. I've been using it for years on my break cue and it works great.

As a matter of fact, your post just reminded me to get a new one. I'm due.

Fran

SpiderMan
09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I recently bought a cue-tech for breaking. It came with a rubber-wrapped grip area, an extremely stiff fiberglass-coated shaft, and a rock-hard water-buffalo tip. $65 at Hawley's in Dallas. This thing is sold as a play cue, but many of it's characteristics make it a decent breaker.

Only negative so far is that the joint is made of a fairly soft material, and it tends to loosen after a couple of hard breaks. You have to remember to keep it tightened. Some might also dislike the 13mm ferrule, but I'm fine with it.

I left the sticker on the butt - maybe it disarms my opponents a little /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan