PDA

View Full Version : custom cues

SoCalCarl
09-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi all...

I've been shooting with a Joss East for a number of years and very much like the way it hits. Recently, I've been considering investing in a custom cue and am wondering if anybody has any recommendations regarding makers in the South West (I'm based in San Diego)...Or...any general advice on the process of ultimately owning a custom cue that has all the characteristics one is looking for, along with the desired feel. Thanks!

Carl

DickLeonard
09-25-2006, 05:17 AM
SoCalCal You have asked the question of all questions. A stradivarius in the hands of a violin player is a violin but in the hands of a virtuoso it is work of art, rendering beautiful music. ####

14oneman
09-25-2006, 06:09 AM
I've been around this game ALL my life, and have owned quite a few custom cues from famous makers. For my money,(and my game/style), Bill Schick makes the finest cues on the planet. He's located in Shreevesport, La. He does have a web site, so you can check out info. He's not cheap, but he IS the best as far as I'm concerned!

WoodMonkey
09-25-2006, 06:17 AM
"A stradivarius in the hands of a violin player is a violin but in the hands of a virtuoso it is work of art, rendering beautiful music."

I have no reason to doubt this statement, and perhaps it can't be explained in words, but I'm going to ask anyway. Exactly what can a pro do with a custom cue that he/she couldn't do with a $100 cue that is straight, solid, and has a high-quality, well shaped tip? I really want to know what makes a traditional Balabushka or whatever so great (ignoring the decorative aspects) . . .

Rich R.
09-25-2006, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SoCalCarl:</font><hr>I've been shooting with a Joss East for a number of years and very much like the way it hits. <hr /></blockquote>Try Joss West.
http://www.cues.com/

Cornerman
09-25-2006, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SoCalCarl:</font><hr> Hi all...
Recently, I've been considering investing in a custom cue and am wondering if anybody has any recommendations regarding makers in the South West (I'm based in San Diego)<hr /></blockquote>
Investing in a cue isn't exactly a good practice, IMO. But, to your question, Judd Fuller and Jerry McWorter in So. Cal.

[ QUOTE ]
...Or...any general advice on the process of ultimately owning a custom cue that has all the characteristics one is looking for, along with the desired feel. Thanks!<hr /></blockquote>First you have to know what you like. Then go from there. Some cuemakers may not deviate from their construction because that's what they like, and that's what defines their cues.

IMO, the desired feel should be your first criterion, not investment qualities.

If I were you, I'd go to a show that had lots of cues. The SuperBilliardExpo in King of Prussia, PA in March is probably the best.

Fred

09-25-2006, 07:05 AM
That's an excellent question. I'd say you'd have to spend a bit more than that, perhaps $200, for a mass-produced cue that a pro could use to good effect. After that, you're paying for personal preferences (such as weight, length, and especially balance) to obtain a cue that feels right for you and the way you hit the ball, plus a cuemaker's name. It's worth it - to a degree. But you're certainly right when you suggest that a cue costing thousands is NOT worth ten or twenty times what a decent playing cue costs - not in terms of playability, anyway. GF

JPB
09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Why don't you start with the LA area guys. In your shoes with some money to spend I would start by meeting with Ernie Gutierrez. One of these times I get to SoCal I might do it myself.

DickLeonard
09-26-2006, 06:43 AM
071838 I have posted before about a two piece cue Albany Legend Charlie "Mumbles" bought off a stranger for $12. The seller said it had a Black Diamond tip on it. To this day I can't get that tip out of my memory bank and that is 45 years ago. A ball at one end of the table and the cueball at the other end and an easy snap and the cueball would draw the length of the table.

I have posted about Willie Hoppe's habit of asking room owners if he could hit balls with their housecues and if he found tips he liked could he harvest them. To my way of thinking a tip is worth more than any two piece cue.####

rackem
09-26-2006, 09:28 AM
You might want to check with Dave Whitsell. He can be found at Quality Billiards in Santee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

09-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Dick, 45 years ago Rambow's very best cue cost just under $30, so I wouldn't discount the $12 your friend paid for his cue. As for the tip, I agree with you completely: a good tip can help bail out a mediocre cue; a lousy tip can ruin a good cue. GF

BLACKHEART
09-30-2006, 07:54 PM
CARL; don't buy one of my BLACK HEART CUES. The Q you are playing with, &amp; like, has a slightly stiff &amp; forward weighted balance point. Look for a Q with similar balance &amp; tapers. I might suggest a COKER Q. A father &amp; son team who make a very beautiful Q, that has a hit similar to Southwest. Stiff, yet at a fraction of the price of Southwest. If you like the Joss East, you will probably like the Coker even thgh it does not have a metal joint...JER